The Mistery of the Loaded Chunks

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Lisn87

Jul 29, 2019
hey guys.
I'm playing in single player and I just noticed that for some reason the chunks around my base are alwais loaded.

For example, I have a item sorting system and i use an ender chest to transfer item to it.
When I'm caving, I put down the "twin" ender chest and fill it up with all the ores that will be automatically "teleported" and sucked in the sorting system.
But this for some reason works even if I'm in the nether or thousand of blocks away from my base when the chucks at my base should be unloaded. It doesn't work backward though.
I'm not using work anchors and my base is 400ish blocks away from spawn. I have a quarry nearby but it's 100-110 blocks away from my base, so I don't think that's the case.

anyone know what could possibly cause it? Dit it happen to anyone else?
I'm curious to know why it behave like that, so I can use the trick to other locations :D

Vilmos

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe the vanilla ones do, but in the magic pack I had to put a world anchor in because my quarry that goes to a blue ender chest overflowed because my receiving ender chest was not in a loaded chunk.

Lisn87

Jul 29, 2019
Could be the nether portal? maybe with its new "entities can go through" ability, it keeps chunk loaded around it. It seems that google can't help me with this one.

solidity

Jul 29, 2019
There is a vanilla mechanic that keeps a certain amount of chunks around the original spawn of a map loaded. I think Etho mentioned (and intends to use) it in his build of an arena-map, although I have not managed to find any hard evidence of this feature.

Lisn87

Jul 29, 2019
first thing. in the title you misspelled "mystery"
yeah, sorry. English spelling is still a "mystery" to me :p
There is a vanilla mechanic that keeps a certain amount of chunks around the original spawn of a map loaded. I think Etho mentioned (and intends to use) it in his build of an arena-map, although I have not managed to find any hard evidence of this feature.
I heard about that but, as I said, i'm far from the spawn point, and far from the 0,0 point, so that's not the reason.

Decirium

Jul 29, 2019
first thing. in the title you misspelled "mystery"
And your grammar is also terrible so please leave your useless comment at the door next time.

On the OP, are you sure that it's not the spawn point mechanic? More specifically, is it the area you actually first started on the map in (it doesn't have to be 0,0 - I have a spawn at 10x6 as an example)?

Lisn87

Jul 29, 2019
I don't remember the coordinates of the actual spawn, but I moved away pretty far from it. My base it's at x: 700 y: 300, so i don't think that's the case. Unless my bed triggered the spawn point mechanic in the area.

Decirium

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure as that seems to be far enough away and the bed wouldn't change the spawn point, basically if your bed were broken you'd go back to the same spawn point on the map. Have you been using turtles at all? Certain turtles can be created to chunkload so they can work when you're not there and it would keep the chunk loaded. I can't think of much more than those two options that you could have placed and not realised they were chunk loading.

Lisn87

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think that chunkloader turtle are implemented in ftb, but i'm not sure, I saw those in a forum, it's kinda a mod of the mod..
I have tons of turtles and computers around though.
If they really can load chunks, now i know that i can program my turtles to reach the farland and bring me back a souvenir lol.

Decirium

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, could be them possibly, I'm not sure whether it included chunk loader turtles in that version though, maybe worth a test.

Lisn87

Jul 29, 2019
I removed every single computercraft related block and the chunk is still loaded. I'm starting to think that my quarry is loading the wrong chunks for some reason.

Domicilius

Jul 29, 2019
Is the quarry near to your sorting system? It loads the chunks around it, and if its close to a chunk boundary, blocks pretty far away (up to 15) can be loaded as well. You can turn on an option in NEI to see the chunk grid on your minimap.

Lisn87

Jul 29, 2019
yeah i know. but it's kinda far. around 100 blocks far. There is a long gold conductive pipe that goes from the quarry to my base though, because the engines are there.
It is possible that the quarry loads also the chunks where the mj power is generated? even if it is that far?

Domicilius

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think the pipes will chunkload. It is possible that the ender chest is chunk loading. Maybe since the chests are considered the "same," when one is chunkloaded the other is as well. I don't actually know if this is the truth, its just my theory from the responses in the thread.