The Langoliers ModPack [JamPacked2] [Release] [v1.0.1] [Curse]

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
How do you get more princesses? You get one from an early quest, but it never makes more than one. I don't know forestry / bee breeding.

Badgerpendous

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, first, thanks for making such a fun pack! So, should we not take any blocks from the island up into the tree with us? I am tempted to just dig out dirt/seeds/etc. as I run to the tree. Should we toss the glass we break, too? How do you see it going?

Reactions: rafacost3d

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Ah. So far, I've only found the first quest, got it going, was waiting for the bees to mutate, waiting for the trees to get pollinated leaves, etc. Then, a friend pointed out that the entry-level bee house cannot mutate the bees, and that not only are tree leaf pollinations (from vanilla to forestry) rare, without a forestry grafter the chance of a pollinated leaf dropping a sapling is rare.

I got as far as sieving stone. Got two types of pebbles -- limestone and ... I don't recall the other one. But attempting to put them into a 2x2 square to make a new stone crashes.

Restarted this morning; one of my pebble piles was gone after last night's crash.
Log from this morning -- just starting up, opening inventory, putting 4 into the crafting grid, and it crashing.

NB: I see a lot of:
Code:
[08:46:31] [NEI Item Loading/ERROR] [FML/]: Exception caught during firing event net.minecraftforge.event.entity.player.ItemTooltipEvent@59b517eb:
java.lang.NullPointerException
errors.

The actual crash says:
Code:
[08:46:43] [Client thread/INFO] [STDOUT/]: [net.minecraft.crash.CrashReport:func_85057_a:320]: Negative index in crash report handler (0/16)
[08:46:44] [Client thread/INFO] [journeymap/]: Mapping halted in /Users/michael/Documents/Games/Minecraft/Playing/FtB/TheLangoliersJampacked/minecraft/journeymap/data/sp/The world is broken/DIM0
[08:46:44] [Server thread/TRACE] [mcp/mcp]: Sending event FMLServerStoppingEvent to mod mcp

Full log: https://gist.github.com/keybounce/17324a2a46627e950198/raw/fml-client-latest.log

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, first, thanks for making such a fun pack! So, should we not take any blocks from the island up into the tree with us? I am tempted to just dig out dirt/seeds/etc. as I run to the tree. Should we toss the glass we break, too? How do you see it going?
As I see it: The more of the world you take with you, the easier. If you keep the full world, you have "super easy" mode.

Consider it a "choose your own difficulty" setting.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
I got as far as sieving stone. Got two types of pebbles -- limestone and ... I don't recall the other one. But attempting to put them into a 2x2 square to make a new stone crashes.

So I'm checking with NEI now. There's a 1% chance for each of the orebushes -- copper, iron, gold, tin, aluminum, and essence -- so I was just unlucky to not find any.

There's marble and limestone "stones", with an average of about 1.3 each.

(You've also turned up the dirt to stone rate, it looks like an average of just under 4 stones per dirt, as well as provided all the vanilla trees except jungle and dark oak).

NEI lists the recipe of 4 limestone stones giving "fire" -- complete with animated texture. (Hmm, crafting chain armor?). Same thing with marble stone.

EDIT: Finally figured out how to ask NEI for what the sieve can do. You overwhelm NEI's poor three-line output. I think I found the jungle tree under the sand output, and it looks like you're much more generous than JadedCat was. There's a bunch of nether trees in soul sand, and interesting things from Topiary Grass -- and that looks really "easy" to make.

Last edited:

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Funshine: I'm watching your videos now. It really helps to know how to use VeinMiner (and TiC, barrels, etc.) doesn't it? :).

Why was your screen so easy to read at the start? At least now I know what it was supposed to say.

... oh, OUCH on tree #2. What happened?

EDIT: Bonemeal on the soybean to mass-produce ... and I'm trying to tend a farm, growing them rather slowly.

EDIT 2: Your "little bit" off camera ... you seem to be very skilled at skyblock. Lot of water, grass platform, and ... is that your mob farm?

EDIT 3: Ahh, clay bucket! I could not figure out the sifter after cobblegen either (and I got lucky with an 81-cobble reward bag)

EDIT 4: Veinmine Leaves?!??

EDIT 5: Ok, NOW I know why I saw "ocelots" in the dark, could not find a jungle, and could not find them in the daytime. I wanted anti-creeper protections. Hostile attack cats. What is this, Rolemaster? :)

EDIT 6: So at least I see how you set up the water feed by watching you. (No, I've never done that before).

Last edited:

FunshineX

Jul 29, 2019
Glad my videos helped you out. I've done skyblock maps and the ex-nihilio mod a lot so I've learned how to be efficient and create things quickly.

You can definitely play however you wish, but the author does intend for the bacteria (which represent the Langoliers from the book/movie) to eat the entire world except for the tree. Then using the ex-nihilio mod you're able to recreate the entire world from a few pieces of wood and saplings :)

Episode 3:

rafacost3d

Jul 29, 2019
Hi Badgerpendous!
Thank you for your comment. Well, the main concept of the modpack is that your world was entirely eaten by Langoliers. Imagine someone watching the world been devastated would stop and say: "Oh wait I will pick some dirt, this flowers, and some wool...".
So no you shouldn't take anything, you will be able to create everything back very quickly.
I noticed that keybouce "kind of hacked" my start on his play-trough, but as he told me, this is how he plays, so...
This is an Alpha version for the jampacked2, I didnt have enough time to bulletproof my start, but I will change it on the next versions.
Im just finishing the legal aspects (mods permissions), and soon will have a private pack code.
Best regards,
rafacost3d

Badgerpendous

Jul 29, 2019
Makes sense to me. Next time through, I'll leave the dirt behind! ;)

Really looking forward to the pack code and seeing where you take the pack. Thanks!

Hi Badgerpendous!
Thank you for your comment. Well, the main concept of the modpack is that your world was entirely eaten by Langoliers. Imagine someone watching the world been devastated would stop and say: "Oh wait I will pick some dirt, this flowers, and some wool...".
So no you shouldn't take anything, you will be able to create everything back very quickly.
I noticed that keybouce "kind of hacked" my start on his play-trough, but as he told me, this is how he plays, so...
This is an Alpha version for the jampacked2, I didnt have enough time to bulletproof my start, but I will change it on the next versions.
Im just finishing the legal aspects (mods permissions), and soon will have a private pack code.
Best regards,
rafacost3d

rafacost3d

Jul 29, 2019
Ah. So far, I've only found the first quest, got it going, was waiting for the bees to mutate, waiting for the trees to get pollinated leaves, etc. Then, a friend pointed out that the entry-level bee house cannot mutate the bees, and that not only are tree leaf pollinations (from vanilla to forestry) rare, without a forestry grafter the chance of a pollinated leaf dropping a sapling is rare.

Restarted this morning; one of my pebble piles was gone after last night's crash.
Log from this morning -- just starting up, opening inventory, putting 4 into the crafting grid, and it crashing.

NB: I see a lot of:
Code:
[08:46:31] [NEI Item Loading/ERROR] [FML/]: Exception caught during firing event net.minecraftforge.event.entity.player.ItemTooltipEvent@59b517eb:
java.lang.NullPointerException
errors.

The actual crash says:
Code:
[08:46:43] [Client thread/INFO] [STDOUT/]: [net.minecraft.crash.CrashReport:func_85057_a:320]: Negative index in crash report handler (0/16)
[08:46:44] [Client thread/INFO] [journeymap/]: Mapping halted in /Users/michael/Documents/Games/Minecraft/Playing/FtB/TheLangoliersJampacked/minecraft/journeymap/data/sp/The world is broken/DIM0
[08:46:44] [Server thread/TRACE] [mcp/mcp]: Sending event FMLServerStoppingEvent to mod mcp

Full log: https://gist.github.com/keybounce/17324a2a46627e950198/raw/fml-client-latest.log
Thanks! I will check this out.
On the next versions, I will be updating a lot of mods, so this errors should be less frequent.
rafacost3d.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Imagine someone watching the world been devastated would stop and say: "Oh wait I will pick some dirt, this flowers, and some wool...".
I noticed that keybounce "kind of hacked" my start on his play-trough, but as he told me, this is how he plays, so...
This is an Alpha version for the jampacked2, I didn't have enough time to bulletproof my start, but I will change it on the next versions.

Here's the thing. I'm watching FunShine's playthrough, and he can rebuild everything quickly -- he knows HOW to rebuild. He even said that he was able to automate everything in AgSkies. I had someone in twitch chat helping me, who also was able to automate everything in AgSkies.

I never even finished the first chapter, "How to skyblock", in AgSkies. I certainly don't know all the tech stuff; I have trouble just making the tinkers' construct starting equipment without constantly referring to NEI.

Re-create things quickly? My episode 3, where I actually start the quest book, should show you how people who barely know how to skyblock / barely know TiC / barely know Ex Nihilo handle things. When I saw the quests, and the whole "get saplings / grow trees", my first thought was that the expected behavior was to destroy the entire tree down to the dirt block underneath it; making a cobble generator in AgSkies was a huge lesson in how the minecraft physics really work (as well as fire extinguishing), and even just making the first few pieces of cobble, with Jaded's step-by-step guide was difficult for me. I was ready to make a bone pick-axe and steal some cobble to get going until I got a reward bag with 81.

It didn't help that I wasn't even sure that the crooks were working; I switched to plain harvesting in case some old bugs were still around.

In comparison, FunShine knows how to start up, crooks and heads directly to wooden barrels as step one, and turns saplings to dirt right away, with half the tree still standing. He knows how to set up the TiC toolset from memory, and even what blocks go adjacent to what blocks (I had to ask). While I'm having trouble figuring out what goes into making a crucible, and thinking I'll take the unfired one because I don't know how to make it (and worry about how to fire it), he runs through non-stop.

Heck, the whole "Why is veinminer in a skyblock?" question of mine, and he's using veinminer to crook all the leaves off his tree farm at once, or figuring out "I have veinminer to chop wood, I don't need a lumber axe" -- and I took the lumber axe thinking that "I'll save time chopping wood". The lumber axe is slower to break a wood block than your hand is (but it takes the whole tree down.)

Hacked start: You've got a dilemma. The "easy" first step: Get that wire off the wool, and put it on the iron block. I wasn't even trying to break the map when I broke the wire.

The hard part: You want people to be able to escape your first room, and run to the tree. So how can you prevent people from escaping without running the program? For that matter, how are people supposed to know that they are supposed to run the program?

Recommendations so far:
1. Have a sign in the start room, saying something like "Schedule for today: Begin computer control process for new bacterial colony". So people know that the idea is to run that program.

2. Move the ladder so that it's visible as you approach the tree.

3. Set the "Respawn" point to above the obsidian block separating the tree from the bacterial death. Right now, if you do not have a bed, and die (fall off), it is game over. That's a great reason not to take the torch.

4. When I ran in my first run through, the siren had been sounding off for a while (the computer display was unreadable on my system), and when I saw the bacteria coming, it was right on top of me. I did not have time to harvest anything, and was in a panic, would not have thought to.

Well, that's not true. I got to the tree, did not know what to do, so I harvested a wood block. Then died.

Funshine gets there, and has plenty of time.

It is very reasonable to think "Oh no! Run!", get to the tree, realize that you have a few seconds, and grab some grass, or try to grab some seeds; heck, if you know how to use vein miner, you have time to chop the trees and grab all the drops. Certainly the birch (my personal preference of the 4 base vanilla trees for construction), and probably the oak (I don't know how long it would take for the leaves to go, but you do have fast leaf decay).

And it's not unreasonable. "In case of emergency, run to the tree". Ok, I ran to the tree. Now what? This is minecraft -- mine tree. Pack has vein miner: mine WHOLE tree. Done. Oh look! Dirt is higher than the ground, jump up. (the obsidian is hidden). World goes poof, you sit there, realize you are safe, turn logs to planks, make a platform, see the chest, make a tree, climb up, get the quest books, there you go.

As for how I play?
In our group, I'm considered the "Light" player. There's a "Space" player that knows all about breeding the perfect bee and using the genetic machines. I look for the hidden knowledge, for the abuse and break points. (And yes, there's a Time player -- the four of us could be a valid group, but that's a different game/story)

I'm not a fan of repetition. Once I got (in AgSkies) to the repetitive "Stone, cobble, gravel, sand, dust, sift everything, sift at each level", etc, I was "why can't I just automate this"; when I saw that the autonomous activator to automate stuff required diamonds (I think; this is memory, and old), I stole two diamonds from the player that had an advanced AE system and started to set up basic initial automation.

I'm very, *very* grateful for both size 64 loot bag drops, and what seems to be higher drop chances/rates for the various sieving / less saplings/leaves/etc needed to make dirt (this is based on watching Funshine -- I'm not actually doing this in my playthrough :). I'm hoping that advancement will be faster once I get into the "I need help" section as well.

rafacost3d

Jul 29, 2019
Here's the thing. I'm watching FunShine's playthrough, and he can rebuild everything quickly -- he knows HOW to rebuild. He even said that he was able to automate everything in AgSkies. I had someone in twitch chat helping me, who also was able to automate everything in AgSkies.

I never even finished the first chapter, "How to skyblock", in AgSkies. I certainly don't know all the tech stuff; I have trouble just making the tinkers' construct starting equipment without constantly referring to NEI.

Re-create things quickly? My episode 3, where I actually start the quest book, should show you how people who barely know how to skyblock / barely know TiC / barely know Ex Nihilo handle things. When I saw the quests, and the whole "get saplings / grow trees", my first thought was that the expected behavior was to destroy the entire tree down to the dirt block underneath it; making a cobble generator in AgSkies was a huge lesson in how the minecraft physics really work (as well as fire extinguishing), and even just making the first few pieces of cobble, with Jaded's step-by-step guide was difficult for me. I was ready to make a bone pick-axe and steal some cobble to get going until I got a reward bag with 81.

It didn't help that I wasn't even sure that the crooks were working; I switched to plain harvesting in case some old bugs were still around.

In comparison, FunShine knows how to start up, crooks and heads directly to wooden barrels as step one, and turns saplings to dirt right away, with half the tree still standing. He knows how to set up the TiC toolset from memory, and even what blocks go adjacent to what blocks (I had to ask). While I'm having trouble figuring out what goes into making a crucible, and thinking I'll take the unfired one because I don't know how to make it (and worry about how to fire it), he runs through non-stop.

Heck, the whole "Why is veinminer in a skyblock?" question of mine, and he's using veinminer to crook all the leaves off his tree farm at once, or figuring out "I have veinminer to chop wood, I don't need a lumber axe" -- and I took the lumber axe thinking that "I'll save time chopping wood". The lumber axe is slower to break a wood block than your hand is (but it takes the whole tree down.)

Hacked start: You've got a dilemma. The "easy" first step: Get that wire off the wool, and put it on the iron block. I wasn't even trying to break the map when I broke the wire.

The hard part: You want people to be able to escape your first room, and run to the tree. So how can you prevent people from escaping without running the program? For that matter, how are people supposed to know that they are supposed to run the program?

Recommendations so far:
1. Have a sign in the start room, saying something like "Schedule for today: Begin computer control process for new bacterial colony". So people know that the idea is to run that program.

2. Move the ladder so that it's visible as you approach the tree.

3. Set the "Respawn" point to above the obsidian block separating the tree from the bacterial death. Right now, if you do not have a bed, and die (fall off), it is game over. That's a great reason not to take the torch.

4. When I ran in my first run through, the siren had been sounding off for a while (the computer display was unreadable on my system), and when I saw the bacteria coming, it was right on top of me. I did not have time to harvest anything, and was in a panic, would not have thought to.

Well, that's not true. I got to the tree, did not know what to do, so I harvested a wood block. Then died.

Funshine gets there, and has plenty of time.

It is very reasonable to think "Oh no! Run!", get to the tree, realize that you have a few seconds, and grab some grass, or try to grab some seeds; heck, if you know how to use vein miner, you have time to chop the trees and grab all the drops. Certainly the birch (my personal preference of the 4 base vanilla trees for construction), and probably the oak (I don't know how long it would take for the leaves to go, but you do have fast leaf decay).

And it's not unreasonable. "In case of emergency, run to the tree". Ok, I ran to the tree. Now what? This is minecraft -- mine tree. Pack has vein miner: mine WHOLE tree. Done. Oh look! Dirt is higher than the ground, jump up. (the obsidian is hidden). World goes poof, you sit there, realize you are safe, turn logs to planks, make a platform, see the chest, make a tree, climb up, get the quest books, there you go.

As for how I play?
In our group, I'm considered the "Light" player. There's a "Space" player that knows all about breeding the perfect bee and using the genetic machines. I look for the hidden knowledge, for the abuse and break points. (And yes, there's a Time player -- the four of us could be a valid group, but that's a different game/story)

I'm not a fan of repetition. Once I got (in AgSkies) to the repetitive "Stone, cobble, gravel, sand, dust, sift everything, sift at each level", etc, I was "why can't I just automate this"; when I saw that the autonomous activator to automate stuff required diamonds (I think; this is memory, and old), I stole two diamonds from the player that had an advanced AE system and started to set up basic initial automation.

I'm very, *very* grateful for both size 64 loot bag drops, and what seems to be higher drop chances/rates for the various sieving / less saplings/leaves/etc needed to make dirt (this is based on watching Funshine -- I'm not actually doing this in my playthrough :). I'm hoping that advancement will be faster once I get into the "I need help" section as well.

Hello Keybounce!

Thank you for all your inputs! About your recommendations:

1. There was an small text at the description of this modpack saying this:
"Description:
You start this ModPack in your Lab, with a simple question in your mind.
Press Start, and create a new life-form that has the potencial to cure all diseases, a bioengineered solution to help all people in the world... Or Not.
What would YOU choose?"

2. I purposely placed the ladder there with the intention to hide it. :)

3. I'm new on this thing, I will research a way for setting respawn point, but not the actual spawn (This one must be the 'Lab').

4. The modpack uses OpenComputers, the screen resolution in game reflects the resolution that you are running the game, so if you start the game in a small window it would probably be unreadable.

In general:
Thank you for playing and giving this fabulous feedback.I used many of your inputs for the next version Alpha0.21.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
1. There was an small text at the description of this modpack saying this:
"Description:
Press Start, and create a new life-form that has the potencial to cure all diseases, a bioengineered solution to help all people in the world... Or Not.
What would YOU choose?"

That description did NOT go to the judges, or at least, I did not see it.

Yea, that would have been a big thing.

3. I'm new on this thing, I will research a way for setting respawn point, but not the actual spawn (This one must be the 'Lab').
Hmm. Well, you currently have a respawn point that is outside of the lab -- at least, I respawned outside of the lab when I was killed by a witch.

4. The modpack uses OpenComputers, the screen resolution in game reflects the resolution that you are running the game, so if you start the game in a small window it would probably be unreadable.
I use the standard 854x480, with auto size gui.

EDIT: Grr, I must have missed this. What do you sieve to get pumpkin seeds?

EDIT 2:
What would YOU choose?
Well, following what should be fairly standard lab practices, I'd have an acid wash ready to kill it off, and it would be done in small, tiny quantities.

I mean, letting a bio-engineered lifeform out of the lab, into the wild, without putting in one of the now several anti-reproduction gene hacks that are known? ... Ok, in fairness, the ones I know of are about anti-seeds in plants, but there has to be something that is the equivalent of "short telemeres" to prevent runaway cell replication.

EDIT 3: Ohh, idea!

Start the player with the quest book, in the lab.
I believe HQM can hide quest lines completely, not just have them shadowed.
Your initial quest chain is "Lab Schedule".
The first (visible) quest item is "Start bacterial experiment", with a description "It's time to test this. We should be able to make a new lifeform to cure cancer, by preventing runaway cell growth."

Quest 2 triggers by location, and is the "collect a sapling" quest.

Last edited:

Badgerpendous

Jul 29, 2019
I use the standard 854x480, with auto size gui.

EDIT: Grr, I must have missed this. What do you sieve to get pumpkin seeds?

Ok, this is likely a silly question (and I apologize if so), but did you click on the computer screen? I wonder if that's why you couldn't read it... Because you were just looking at the block, vs. interacting with it by clicking and bringing up that interface.

And for pumpkin seeds, I think NEI will tell you if you check pumpkin seeds and then go through the "recipes" until you see the sieve.

Hope that helps!

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
Episode three:

The quest line! From Saplings, to TiC. Bees, "CobbleStone Generator", etc.

... All I need is Lava. That requires smelting. Smelting requires Cobble. Cobble requires water and lava. ... How do you bootstrap this loop again?

Watch on YouTube

Badgerpendous

Jul 29, 2019
Can't watch it from work, but I'm assuming you already figured out that you get cobble from sifting dirt (again, apologies if this is moot). Well, you get stones from the dirt, and combine them in the 2x2 to get cobble. Compost enough dirt (saplings, leaves, worms, string, zombie flesh, etc) to sift to get enough stones (40+) to craft at least 10 cobble. Use 6 cobble to make a slab furnace so you can fire the crucible, and then melt the remaining 4 in the crucible to get your first bucket of lava.

Episode three:

The quest line! From Saplings, to TiC. Bees, "CobbleStone Generator", etc.

... All I need is Lava. That requires smelting. Smelting requires Cobble. Cobble requires water and lava. ... How do you bootstrap this loop again?