The Great Coding Language Thread

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Although that may cause an import loop...you may just want to declare Stop in the original file as a global

einsteinsci

Jul 29, 2019
I'm full OOP on this. C# as my favorite, with all the built-in language features and the fact there are almost no special cases (like int being a struct like any other type). I also like C++ and Java, but the lack of a root type in C++ and no operator overloading in Java, as well as C#'s extension methods keep me running back to .NET.

Functional languages kinda scare me. I'm so used to imperative languages that I've never been willing to try Python, F# or JavaScript.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I'm full OOP on this. C# as my favorite, with all the built-in language features and the fact there are almost no special cases (like int being a struct like any other type). I also like C++ and Java, but the lack of a root type in C++ and no operator overloading in Java, as well as C#'s extension methods keep me running back to .NET.
OOP is great. Separating concerns is a good thing
Functional languages kinda scare me. I'm so used to imperative languages that I've never been willing to try Python, F# or JavaScript.
JS and Python aren't functional languages...

Anyway, you should take a crack at functional languages. Try something like Scala first to make the transition easier

CapJackH

Jul 29, 2019

Just dive right it. Do LISP, that will get your feet wet.

Reactions: Strikingwolf

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I might recommend Clojure over the other LISP dialects, mainly because it compiles to Java bytecode for platform independence and all that jazz.

Also, there's an excellent guide to Haskell here, if you'd rather learn that.

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm working on a system so that players may load Scenarios from their Scenarios folder. It is to be able to load any amount of Scenarios and I believe I'm not doing too badly. Problem is that I can't figure out how to check if what the player typed is equal to any of the Scenario files.

My code:
Code:
def listMenu_Main22():
    ScenarioNumber = 0
    for file in glob.glob("Scenarios/*.scn"):
        Scenarios.append(file)
        ScenarioNumber += 1

menuInput = ""
    print ""
    print ""

ScenariosListed = ScenarioNumber
    while ScenariosListed > 0:
        print Scenarios[ScenariosListed - 1]
        ScenariosListed -= 1

print "Back"
    print ""

selectMenu_Main22()

#Process Play Scenario Menu
def selectMenu_Main22():
    menuInput = raw_input("")
    ScenariosListed = ScenarioNumber

if str(menuInput.lower()) == "back":
        MainMenu.listMenu_Main20()
    else:
        print "Please select one of the above"
        selectMenu_Main22()

As you can see, the Process Play Scenario Menu is pretty much a dead end atm. Is there any way to make it so that it checks to see that you typed in a file that is present in the list Scenarios?

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
According to StackOverflow,
Code:
import os.path
if os.path.exists(file_path):
    # Not sure if isfile causes an error if the file doesn't exist but playing it safe
    if os.path.isfile(file_path):
        file_type = "file"
    else:
        file_type = "dir"
else:
    file_type = "nonexistent"

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
According to StackOverflow,
Code:
import os.path
if os.path.exists(file_path):
    # Not sure if isfile causes an error if the file doesn't exist but playing it safe
    if os.path.isfile(file_path):
        file_type = "file"
    else:
        file_type = "dir"
else:
    file_type = "nonexistent"
What exactly will that do? I ask as I see nothing that will help designate an inputted string as a command

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Just dive right it. Do LISP, that will get your feet wet.
I might recommend Clojure over the other LISP dialects, mainly because it compiles to Java bytecode for platform independence and all that jazz.

Also, there's an excellent guide to Haskell here, if you'd rather learn that.
*hugs*
Clojure is awesome. If you don't mind a quick transition to no mutability go for it

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
TIL that in Ruby, everything is a reference to an object and the objects are nearly completely hidden.
...I've been using pointers all this time without even knowing it.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
TIL that in Ruby, everything is a reference to an object and the objects are nearly completely hidden.
Yep. I think that is how it is in most high-level languages if I'm not mistaken

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Java does that, too. All the things, save primitive data types (int, float, char, boolean, etc.), are pointers.