The Chronicles of a FTB Neophyte

Hazard

Jul 29, 2019
So nothing to dramatic, as long as I have most of the same mods.

While I've always been of the new version, new world mindset, in 1.7 all the block ids go away, so it's essential to start over.
The block id change is in 1.8. That's why if you reverted back to 1.7 while in the snapshots, all the stuff in your inventory and chests would be gone.

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
So nothing to dramatic, as long as I have most of the same mods.

The block id change is in 1.8. That's why if you reverted back to 1.7 while in the snapshots, all the stuff in your inventory and chests would be gone.
I think what he meant is that in 1.6, all blocks are identified by a number whereas in 1.7, they're identified by a text string. While this is good for modpack makers (no need to play around with ID conflicts) it makes transferring a world across difficult. I'm not sure if it's possible or not - I think my 1.6 vanilla world transitioned to 1.7 just fine, but I might be getting confused as to when I started it

Hazard

Jul 29, 2019
I think what he meant is that in 1.6, all blocks are identified by a number whereas in 1.7, they're identified by a text string. While this is good for modpack makers (no need to play around with ID conflicts) it makes transferring a world across difficult. I'm not sure if it's possible or not - I think my 1.6 vanilla world transitioned to 1.7 just fine, but I might be getting confused as to when I started it

In 1.7 they added the text string along with the number.

Minecraft Wiki said:
Block/Item IDs
  • Can now be referred to by their names instead of numbers.
    • Will be the only option in the future.
    • Necessary for the Plugin API.

In theory everything should say the same since there are both numbers and text. It is not until 1.8 that the numbers will go away.

Jul 29, 2019
In 1.7 they added the text string along with the number.

In theory everything should say the same since there are both numbers and text. It is not until 1.8 that the numbers will go away.
True.
What 1.7.10 modpack has most mods?

Sent from my GT-I8190N

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Ah. That explains it. Still, I prefer new version/new world. Personally my 1.7 mod choice would be Modsauce, or Bevo's Tech Pack. Both of those are on the AT launcher. I'm not familiar with the 1.7 FTB Packs to make a suggestion.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Ah. That explains it. Still, I prefer new version/new world. Personally my 1.7 mod choice would be Modsauce, or Bevo's Tech Pack. Both of those are on the AT launcher. I'm not familiar with the 1.7 FTB Packs to make a suggestion.

Hazard

Jul 29, 2019
If I had to choose a 1.7 modpack right now it would be modsauce, but I don't think I will be changing very soon.

motorhue

Jul 29, 2019
All things considered I gotta say for a self-proclaimed ftb noob you are quite informed @Hazard, or are you just a swift learner?

Hazard

Jul 29, 2019
All things considered I gotta say for a self-proclaimed ftb noob you are quite informed @Hazard, or are you just a swift learner?

I have been playing minecraft for almost three years. Through that time I have done almost everything you can do when it comes to singleplayer, multiplayer, servers, moderating, vanilla survival, mini games, you name it. But I never touched modded minecraft until last month. Most of my modded knowledge comes from watching youtubers play. Other than that, I am running off the wiki and your input.

motorhue

Jul 29, 2019
I have been playing minecraft for almost three years. Through that time I have done almost everything you can do when it comes to singleplayer, multiplayer, servers, moderating, vanilla survival, mini games, you name it. But I never touched modded minecraft until last month. Most of my modded knowledge comes from watching youtubers play. Other than that, I am running off the wiki and your input.
Well in that case, awesome, and welcome to a new part of the minecraft community and playstyle :-D

Reactions: Hazard

Hazard

Jul 29, 2019
Time for another update!

This one is me doing random things and getting resources. It might be a little out of order. Sorry, it's going to have to be in two parts because of the 20 pic limit.

I went nether mining

gOnOAe0.png

Sometimes when I mine a few blocks I here a sound like TNT sizzling and a few seconds later the area blows up. What is this and what causes it?

TMIBVOM.png

This is all the fortunable ores I got from the nether on my mining trip.

fxSdjFu.png

I used a fortune 2 tinker's pick to mine it all.

eJA3cK7.png

All the redstone I got.

DAtAqlR.png

Hot tub. Is there any way to move this stuff? It would be nice to have in the Oasis base.

TWSEyU4.png

All from strip mining. Thirty shiny rocks!

hSP0vVs.png

Was able to upgrade my tinker's pick to fortune 3.

OqQ01hc.png

Blood alter tier 3!

fxmM5QD.png

Exploring led me to find a village and I wanted to see what the potion in the chest did...

CgbAafm.png

Big mistake.

kZd9Zd2.png

zpswgAw.png

I dropped my air sigil in the house where I was in the first picture becasue I ran out of inventory space. I couldn't pick it up before I accidentally flew out the house. The potion lasted a good 5 minutes so it despawned by the time I could get back down.

FJqNPUm.png

Sad trip home.

EgTA0in.png

Made some goggle of revealing!

KlOKpSt.png

I'm smart. I thought I would lure some hostile mobs into a trap by the blood alter so I could use the knife to fill the alter. Iwas trying to get the master blood orb, but I would run out of blood before it was over. I made the mistake of letting a creeper into the trap.

XneEbVK.png

On my exploring outing I found a sliverwood tree and got a sapling. I know saplings are pretty rare drops so I was wondering what the best way to get them is.

SzJBKZt.png

I was tired of having stacks of unsmelted ore in my chests and I want to double them, but I don't have a way to do that yet besides the smeltery. I made a SAG mill from Ender IO, but I forgot you have to power it... What do you use to double ores?

dfh1lQb.png

In my smeltery I have a bunch of these 4 nuggets of stuff. Where does it come from?

PmJvSMz.png

My new and improved way of getting blood into the alter.

h6VJBia.png

Making that master blood orb.

Part two |
|
V

Hazard

Jul 29, 2019
8mmaA9d.png

Cw4K1uo.png

Making some Villagers.

QMCHg1i.png

tR0mqtU.png

Twilight!

WHHpfEu.png

It's been like five minutes...

Zk1Yaw0.png

jYc5D5l.png

It's so peaceful!

aZtPePX.png

Not peaceful! I didn't want to attack this guy, I don't think I'm strong enough.

6LsCkv9.png

It's beautiful!

mStreE8.png

mf8u0K9.png

A dungeon! I still think I need better gear for this.

YffaTKu.png

One of those Tower things.

I'm stupid. I went out looking for a slime island for a tinker's construct tool rod I paused the game when someone rang the doorbell, forgetting that in ftb, hitting escape doesn't actually pause the game. I ended up drowning at the bottom of the ocean.

2rk5pzh.png

EO4iKqc.png

I gave myself back everything as close as possible to the original....

Including a thaumonoicon.
xQJuMMS.png

cOv7xjK.png

But this is the creative thaumonoicon and I opened it... I have all the research unlocked.

I don't want a hacked thaumonoicon! Now what do I do? Can I reset it?

*Sigh*

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
I think the only way to reset it is with an NBT editor to edit your player.dat file.

Nether ores have a chance of exploding when you start to mine them, so if you don't mine them fast enough, or catch one lightly, but don't mine it, they will go boom.

The regen water is from Biomes of Plenty, but can only be moved using amethyst buckets, which you have to go to the Promised Land for. That requires making an ancient staff, which is pretty damn expensive. You'll need some way to fly as well.

Did you make any tool parts out of steel like bindings or rods? That could be why you have the nuggets in there, as it only takes half an ingot to make those. In terms of ore doubling, either a SAG mill feeding an alloy furnace or a pulverizer feeding a redstone furnace. A decent early RF power source is the furnace generator from Extra Utilities. It takes anything that a furnace can use as fuel and isn't expensive to make.

Reactions: Hazard

Hazard

Jul 29, 2019
I think the only way to reset it is with an NBT editor to edit your player.dat file.

Nether ores have a chance of exploding when you start to mine them, so if you don't mine them fast enough, or catch one lightly, but don't mine it, they will go boom.

The regen water is from Biomes of Plenty, but can only be moved using amethyst buckets, which you have to go to the Promised Land for. That requires making an ancient staff, which is pretty damn expensive. You'll need some way to fly as well.

Did you make any tool parts out of steel like bindings or rods? That could be why you have the nuggets in there, as it only takes half an ingot to make those. In terms of ore doubling, either a SAG mill feeding an alloy furnace or a pulverizer feeding a redstone furnace. A decent early RF power source is the furnace generator from Extra Utilities. It takes anything that a furnace can use as fuel and isn't expensive to make.

Thanks for the info.

as you know I'm a noob so I don't quite know how to change the TC research. I know how to use NBTExplorer, but when I try deleting one of the entries under TCresearchlist and go into the world it just comes right back. :/

Yes I did make some rods and bindings, that is kinda annoying.

Somebody Important said:
FTB is hard, FTB is harder if you're a noob.

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
I've never done it myself, so I can't help you with that :/ sorry

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
If you're playing on Monster, you could make a Sync copy of yourself and the new one won't have the Thaum research.

Or don't bother because research is more time consuming than really interesting.

Hazard

Jul 29, 2019
If you're playing on Monster, you could make a Sync copy of yourself and the new one won't have the Thaum research.

Or don't bother because research is more time consuming than really interesting.

How do you do that...

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Make a shell constructor and shell storage. The storage gets a redstone signal, and then you right click on the constructor. It'll do a half heart or so of damage, then if it's given power, either from pigs on treadmills, or RF input, it'll build a new you. Then you step into the shell storage and you can teleport to the newly built you, which is basically a new player.dat. At least that's how I recall it working. Then you can make the entire Thaumonomicon and research process a new.

Hazard

Jul 29, 2019
Make a shell constructor and shell storage. The storage gets a redstone signal, and then you right click on the constructor. It'll do a half heart or so of damage, then if it's given power, either from pigs on treadmills, or RF input, it'll build a new you. Then you step into the shell storage and you can teleport to the newly built you, which is basically a new player.dat. At least that's how I recall it working. Then you can make the entire Thaumonomicon and research process a new.

Oh gosh, that sounds evil. I don't think that's the solution I want though.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
You don't have to give up the old you if you don't want to. You just make another shell storage and you can swap back and forth.

Like I said, I wouldn't worry about the Cheatonomicon. Then again, Sync is pretty fun to play with on it's own.