The blue sea!! Bigger then big!!!

ChocolateCharlie

Jul 29, 2019
Hi !

Well, first of i need to make it clear that I need a big ocean, for my project... :D

But this is serious "The-biggest-ocean-I-have-ever-seen-in-FTB's-history.."

Started of at very small island, lucky me it's my own server so could use fly cheat.. :p So.. I went flying (east) for about 3-6min thinking i was going to find some land and, but no.. so i used the "gravity suite" flying at super speed for about 4min and thank god finally found some land... (3500m from start..)

But when I went back to point (A) and went (west) instead.. It's the same thing in all the directions.. About 5000m to 8000m (In diameters) from point A.. East, west, south and north...

Is this normal???

If you where a normal player and had no access to cheats, what would you do????

I had nothin, was basically stranded..... :D

kallekulle

Jul 29, 2019
'if you were a normal player blah blah blah'

I'd dig down, and start to hit my way trough the stone, in hope of finding an abononed mineshaft.

lw_spartan

Jul 29, 2019
Well I'm going to go ahead and assume here that most of us are logical mildly patient people who like to play this as a video game for different types of entertainment.
If the island was tiny and had no tree's, you'd have no way to create a pickaxe, a crafting table, or anything to punch through stone, and your fist isn't feasible for more than a couple really. At this point with no boat, and after five to ten or so minutes of swimming with nothing in sight in either direction, I'd restart. I don't think the average person would be diehard enough to put up with that level of pain, either manually swimming for fifteen plus minutes in the hopes of land, or spending an equal amount of time punching through stone. If I'm in an exploratory mood, I have no problem boating around for half an hour or so, but swimming for fifteen minutes with not a single item gained, and no food in sight..ehh There is a reason people were left on stranded islands in the middle of the ocean too far to swim from with no supplies, as a punishment, it lead to their death.

Now an argument can be made if there was at least one tree, punching it down could lead to possibly a sapling, for more wood, which could be a boat, a pickaxe, etc. If opting for the pickaxe method however, you're going to be very hungry as you mine in the hopes for some mushrooms, best bet would be to try to find and kill a spider for string, get a fishing pole going and enjoy the view of the sunrise/sunset as you sit back and bring in the catch.

As for the why this could happen, I remember reading somewhere that EBXL sometimes causes massive ocean's to generate, which is exactly what you described. I personally switched over to BoP(Biomes O'Plenty).

ChocolateCharlie

Jul 29, 2019
Exactly my point! If you are new to Ftb you wouldn't stand a chance of survival, people would basically just give up if they where stranded like this and having swim for 15 min.. But as i mention like the idea of a big ocean.. :p

Biomes O'plenty, looks interesting. Does the mod have the same things as ExtraBiomesXL or in other words, what is the overall difference between the 2 maps?

ChocolateCharlie

Jul 29, 2019
OMG :eek: did I just hit the Holy Grail..!? This saves me sooo much time I'm really grateful, THANK YOU .. !! :D

Ps! you don't need answer my question "what is the overall difference between the 2 maps?" think i got it figured out ;)

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
I've done similar hardcore ocean worlds in vanilla.

Look for lights on the bottom of the ocean. Some of them are mineshafts. Go down there, punch a couple of creepers and cave spiders in the face, and use fish as food if you can't find melon seeds immediately.

Land is for sissies.

ChocolateCharlie

Jul 29, 2019
There is exactly no way you would be able to survive.. and that's a fact, only if you swim.... :confused:

Because both ways require wood, to make tools or a boat for that matter.. Remember I had no nothin.. and you need a pickaxe to mine your way in to land, unless you want to live under water the rest of your FTB days and go fist mining for ores that requires a Ironpick..

O-hoy captain..

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
It's not "normal", I've never seen an ocean that big, but random is random. If you get a weird seed that gives you a bizarre challenge like this, then either go with it if you fancy the challenge, or quit and pick a different seed.

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
In this situation, we must borrow our survival instincts from the humble sheep, and eat grass. Just don't eat the last grass block, cuz then you be screwed.