Thaumcraft - your biggest node?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Crouchingmoose

Jul 29, 2019
With the inclusion of the new Thaumcraft updates over the weekend, I noticed that cultivating and moving aura nodes is much easier. The 2 main tools for this is the Crystal Core and the Elemental Hoe.

The Core can be used to move nodes and the hoe can apply a magic version of bonemeal that works on silverwood saplings as well as other stuff

I'm wondering what people are planning to do with their nodes now that we have all these tools and how big their nodes are getting.

Right now, I moved my pure aura node about 200 blocks away from its original position into the middle of a barrow. I was building it with a bunch of saplings and then used crystal cores to draw all of the smaller nodes nearby closer to my main node and make it huge. Thats when I started pulling it towards the barrow and it started picking up a bunch of other small nodes on the way. After all was said and done. It is 2.5k and sitting right in the middle of my barrow with a core setup to reset the position if it moves. If I want to make it bigger now all i have to do is climb on the hill outside and plant saplings and use the elemental hoe on them. Then when I feel like its getting away, i simply reset its position. I'll try and post some pictures later tonight of my setup.

zooqooo

Jul 29, 2019
Moving nodes isn't as good as it seems, as if a single node gets to big, it will generate constant flux as it attempts to balance out with other nodes

Crouchingmoose

Jul 29, 2019
yes which is why it has to be done slowly. This is also the reason I made this big node a pure node. Pure nodes actively destroy flux.

Now, dont get me wrong. I did spawn a good number of whisps while doing this. But my node, is actually clearing up flux very quickly now that all the flux levels have balanced out. It helps that i can place crystal clusters to generate aura which will in turn reinfuse stone with aura.

zooqooo

Jul 29, 2019
That is a well laid plan, not many understand the importance of pure nodes and crystal clusters, you've learned well :cool:

drazath

Jul 29, 2019
As I understand it, larger node will always 'eat' the smaller one and the result will end up being the same type as the large one was? Because the two closest nodes to my base are unstable(?, I think, the ones with black lightning and constant creation of flux) and both ~100. I'd be glad if I could get rid of them.

Crouchingmoose

Jul 29, 2019
Heres a photo of my setup, now that I'm home.
2013-01-28_19.01.53.png

Attachments

• 2013-01-28_19.01.53.png
    2013-01-28_19.01.53.png
    813 KB · Views: 448

Hexxa

Jul 29, 2019
Heres a photo of my setup, now that I'm home.
2013-01-28_19.01.53.png

That's impressive! I guess size does matter! :p
If you make it larger does the actual size of the visable node keep growing?
Does anyone know if there's actually a cap on how large these can potentially be made?

I've got this mental image of a giant star sized vis node on a floating platform......It shall be named "The Arcane Sun"

Sara Dr In te House

Jul 29, 2019
How can you tell a pure node from a regular node? They look the same to me. I know the nodes in barrows look different, more like a whirlpool.

id_missing

Jul 29, 2019
The pure nodes have a star burst in the center of it. while the regular nodes just look like clouds.
It is kinda hard to identify the star burst on a smaller node. Also silverwood trees always have a pure nodes
inside of them so that is another way without having to know what to look for.

Crouchingmoose

Jul 29, 2019
regular nodes look like clouds and pure nodes have white points coming from the center kinda like a bright white pointy star at the center.

Sara Dr In te House

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the info. I am glad it is not a color thing. Being color blind sucks when it when games/mods expect everyone to see every color. Texture packs help but I have to retexture some texture packs just to use them.

Zaromas

Jul 29, 2019
Right now, I moved my pure aura node about 200 blocks away from its original position into the middle of a barrow.

Sir, that is impressive. I'm one of undoubtedly countless forsaken souls who drained their homes of magic before they knew what they were doing.

Questions:

You moved a node 200 blocks - was it not a huge pain in the arse moving 24 blocks at a time (having to rebuild the core after every move)?

By collecting nodes along the way, didn't you ensure that your final location features a node that will never replenish due to being the biggest (and probably only) node in the area?

For someone in my situation (magic-dead home), wouldn't it be best to bring a large node into the vicininty, only close enough to grow some silverwood trees in my home's immediate vicinity?

Thanks!
-Z

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
That means its a dark node, meaning its the opposite of a pure node - it generates flux; good if you want to farm wisps, but otherwise is a pain in the arse.

Incidentally, if you happen across a desert temple in your travels, they will always have a large dark node in them.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Someone had a run away node that was in to the 5 digits. It was crazy there was even screens shots. I'll see if I can find it but it was months ago on here.

Kitsyfluff

Jul 29, 2019
to the guy who wanted to see a sun node:
currently my biggest node, I have the goal to make a 20,000 Aura node. Just cause
and yes it'll get bigger
2013-05-30_20.30.27.png

Attachments

• 2013-05-30_20.30.21.png
    2013-05-30_20.30.21.png
    659.9 KB · Views: 86

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
Someone had a run away node that was in to the 5 digits. It was crazy there was even screens shots. I'll see if I can find it but it was months ago on here.

I've seen them and been wondering about runaway nodes but never seen any mention of them before now. It was a dark node that was growing slowly, like the bees but there were no bees. How is that possible?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I've seen them and been wondering about runaway nodes but never seen any mention of them before now. It was a dark node that was growing slowly, like the bees but there were no bees. How is that possible?

I don't think it is possible anymore with how node merging as been updated. But basicly the size of a node was (and still is in many ways) used as a sort of range the a node will look for other nodes. They would have a sort of range at which they would try to merge with another node. In some rare cases with how world gen was being done you could get a large node from just world gen, then get one or more silver wood trees (that have nodes) form that same world gen, and then the kicker would be a thaumcraft mound dungoen. This would put a lot of nodes vary close that would basically merge as soon as you got close enough to let them update. If it hit a critical point the now super node would start grabbing nodes farther away and it would hit a point of no return were any new chunk created would have its nodes striped because it would be in range for merging with MegaNodeOne. But when TC3 updated and added the totems and the node control options they changed something with how nodes merge. Now it is possible to have two nodes touching and it can still take days for them to merge up sometimes. So I have not heard of anyone getting a run away node since then.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
That means its a dark node, meaning its the opposite of a pure node - it generates flux; good if you want to farm wisps, but otherwise is a pain in the arse.

Incidentally, if you happen across a desert temple in your travels, they will always have a large dark node in them.

wrong right and wrong

dark nodes, the ones that have a black hole in them, spawn wisps, but for the rest act like normal nodes (do not create flux), and only spawn in barrow hills
the nodes that make flux are the UNSTABLE nodes, which have a core like the pure ones but is bigger than the node itself, found in the obsidian totem altars with chests in the middle
normal nodes are the ones with nothing in them, remove flux till they have "moderate" flux state
pure nodes are found in silverwood trees, they remove flux till they have the "none" flux state, they have a small ball that looks like a star in its core