Thaumcraft wand not charging

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

glennox

Jul 29, 2019
how can it be that my wand is not charging? ive been in a thaumcraft dungeon and there were wisps.. but how can i fix this problem?

Entropy

Jul 29, 2019
You're likely not close enough to a node to charge it up. Wander around for a little while, and see if that recharges it. Or find a silverwood tree, as they always have a node, which makes things easy. If you have the goggles of revealing go stand under a node and it will recharge the wand.

Icarus White

Jul 29, 2019
Adding to this...

There is a well-known bug in Thaumcraft 3 that will destroy all aura nodes under some odd circumstances. You'll know if this happened if your goggles show there is no aura, anywhere. In that case you have to mess with the configuration files to force the nodes to regenerate. I believe the OP on the minecraft forum explains how to do it. I've had to do it before - it slows down the game something awful, but....

Korenn

Jul 29, 2019
Its not cheating to give yourself a fresh wand out of NEI until you can figure the node generation.
of course that is still cheating, it's just not as big of a deal ;)

Man I wouldn't want to lose my nodes, I spent (actual) days growing those silverwood trees.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
man. I would have cheated in a pair of goggles to check the nodes ASAP if i were you. it's not cheating if you destroy them after confirming if a bug has occurred or not.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

Illmad

Jul 29, 2019
Seems the has happened to me as well. I cheated in the goggles, and all nodes near my base are gone. I have to travel for a while to get to a working node. Is there any way to get new nodes to spawn, or do I have to move the base? Because I really don't want to do the latter.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
there is a regenerate aura nodes option in the config that might help. Haven't had to use it myself but it allows you to generate aura nodes in worlds without them so I assume it should work here. You could also try switching the aura.dat file with one from a different world but that could cause more problems.

Icarus White

Jul 29, 2019
From the minecraft forum post:

Adding Thaumcaft world generation to existing worlds
Spoiler:
Yes, you heard that right. You can add all the ores, trees and other worldgen features to existing worlds by changing a few things in your config files. Remember: this could be risky so always backup your saves beforehand.
  • If this is the first time loading Thaumcraft with that save, you can leave the regen_key setting as 'DEFAULT' otherwise set it to anything else.
  • You need to choose what to regenerate. I strongly recommend you set aura_nodes to 'true' if this is the first time you are doing this. Without the aura you won't be able to do 99.9% of the things you could in Thaumcraft.
  • Run the game. It will lag for a while and you should see some console spam about chunks being regenerated. This is fine - just wait it out. It shouldn't take too long. If the world had been explored a lot you might see the message reappear every now and again. This is also normal.
  • If, for some reason, you wish to do this again or somehow your savefile got corrupted and your aura nodes have gone missing, all you need to do is set the regen_key value to something else. Any word would do.
IMPORTANT: If you chose to generate TC ores and such in an existing world It is best to keep the config as-is. Do not switch everything off again after running the game or server once. As you explore chunks that have been explored in the past, but you haven't visited yet the new TC will regen in them as well. If you turn it off before you get a chance to revisit them nothing will be genererated and you will have to do the regeneration from scratch to add it to those chunks which could cause doubling of ores and nodes.

I think this means set aura_nodes to true and reset regen_key? Not sure. You may as well try leaving it default first, although I don't think that works. You should then walk about your base to regen the nodes. Not sure if it still slows the game once the regen is complete, though.

Note that if you find you missed a spot and have to turn aura_nodes back on, then leave regen_key as is - the game will 'fill in' the holes left behind and not regenerate the already regenerated chunks.

Good luck!

Illmad

Jul 29, 2019
Can anyone conform this?

And this might seem a stupid question, but I haven't had to use the config file before. Where can I find it?

Icarus White

Jul 29, 2019
Can anyone conform this?

And this might seem a stupid question, but I haven't had to use the config file before. Where can I find it?

I've had to regenerate the nodes myself, but I can't remember whether I tried using the default key before I changed it.

The config file is probably minecraft/config/Thaumcraft.cfg, but be sure you're editing the correct one - the one in the FTB launcher's install directory.

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
I've had to do this a few times in my world. Every time I get a modpack update, all of my configuration files get set back to the defaults, so I've learned to merge my changes back in after each update before loading up my world. Just have to set B:aura_nodes to true, and change S:regen_key to something other than DEFAULT.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I've had to do this a few times in my world. Every time I get a modpack update, all of my configuration files get set back to the defaults, so I've learned to merge my changes back in after each update before loading up my world. Just have to set B:aura_nodes to true, and change S:regen_key to something other than DEFAULT.

does it still happen when you say to backup the config files when updating the modpack?

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
does it still happen when you say to backup the config files when updating the modpack?

Yup. The "back up config files" checkbox does absolutely nothing for me, unless it's backing them up to some obscure place on the filesystem that I've so far been unable to find. Whether I check the box or not, every config is always reverted to default on every update.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Yup. The "back up config files" checkbox does absolutely nothing for me, unless it's backing them up to some obscure place on the filesystem that I've so far been unable to find. Whether I check the box or not, every config is always reverted to default on every update.

aah crap, maybe I should check my aura aswell then :S

joel42

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, a bit late to the discussion, but i believe i have this bug, but I'm the only one on my server who uses TC, so a. will the regeneration of nodes in the config mess with anything on the server, and b. if i really don't want to do that, can i just grow a new silverwood tree and use its aura node, or will it not make one?

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Regenerating the nodes will only effect the nodes. There'll be a little bit of lag as chunks are loaded for the first time- but no more than exploring a new area.

The only side effect would be the nodes are randomised- so current gen (silverwoods/totems/dungeons) will not relate to the new node locations.

Silverwood trees need 100 vis from the aura to grow- so most likely that wont work.