Thaumcraft assistance

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Cheetohz

Jul 29, 2019
I've spent the past few hours researching thaumcraft in FTB Horizons. Seems the mechanics of this are significantly different than when I last played a thaumcraft pack. So, I figured out how to build my first wand, and get the Thaumonomicon, built a workbench and research table. Built a thaumometer, and went and researched a few things. I had some aspects built up, and used them all researching. Previously I could just dump a stack of cobble at something and get plenty of points. seems either I am not figuring out how to do this now, or i screwed myself by using aspects incorrectly. Really, I am just wondering how do I get more aspects for researching?

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Put some bookshelves and crystal clusters near your research table. This will periodically cause you to gain 1 point in aspects you know if you have zero points in that aspect. If you have one or more points in a given aspect, a small star will appear in the corner of that aspect; that means that the next time it drops to zero points, you will immediately generate a single point in that aspect, and the star will disappear until it is generated again.

Additionally, you can go around scanning new things. Nodes are especially good for this, as each new node is a new source of primal aspects.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Also, the deconstruction table is an option, but with the above I've never had to make one.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
Scan more things and get a deconstruction table. The deconstruction table will give you points randomly while consuming items. But it is generally best to scan as much as possible. TE has compatibility with TC and its items have tons of aspects. So does RC, but it isn't in Horizons.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
A tip. If you're going to scan something with an aspect you haven't scanned before, you'll get double the points, so you get like 20+ points of metallum from a iron block for example.

Time to strategize.

Reactions: Padfoote

Cheetohz

Jul 29, 2019
Put some bookshelves and crystal clusters near your research table. This will periodically cause you to gain 1 point in aspects you know if you have zero points in that aspect. If you have one or more points in a given aspect, a small star will appear in the corner of that aspect; that means that the next time it drops to zero points, you will immediately generate a single point in that aspect, and the star will disappear until it is generated again.

Additionally, you can go around scanning new things. Nodes are especially good for this, as each new node is a new source of primal aspects.
This is the start of my thaumcraft area, are these crystals and bookshelves set up properly to supply aspects to my table?

Attachments

• 2014-01-12_21.30.59.png
    2014-01-12_21.30.59.png
    719.4 KB · Views: 88

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
This is the start of my thaumcraft area, are these crystals and bookshelves set up properly to supply aspects to my table?
That should be more than sufficient. If you use up the bonus aspects, you may want to work on some other project for a while while they regenerate. You may also want to focus your aspects on combines for learning all the aspects so you can scan more things for aspects that way; many machines and complex items/tools in Horizons should give you lots of aspects once you've learned their aspects to begin with.

Cheetohz

Jul 29, 2019
There isn't really a "right setup" for this, they just have to be nearby, so that will work just fine
Heh, sorry. Nearby is extremely vague for me. I like a absolute values such as within a 5 block radius, 10 block radius, etc.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
What I use is similar to the bookcase setup for an enchanting table, having a 6 by 5 square around the research table with a passage to get in and out, what room's left over I sporadically dot with clusters.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I've learned that they don't have to be all that close. I have a 13 or so block wide thaumcraft room with my research table centered. One wall is partly made up of bookshelves, and every aspect is lit for me.

Reactions: Succubism

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone remember that thread with the aspect strategy list? It had a great order of operations for maxing initial research points via scanning. I can't find it at all. :eek:

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Not to put down that thread, because it's a good strategy, don't get me wrong, but you might struggle with this method.

Your best method is to put off Thaumcraft until you have a decent supply of everything, say mid-game level, then to be smart about what you scan to get as much from the double point bonus as possible.
I've had pretty good luck using it as a basis...I mean, the last three worlds I've had to delay starting thaumcraft because of gold shortages, but it's still fairly early when I can get a thaumometer made. The most important things seem to be to get the victus aspect quickly (mortus usually happens within 5 minutes of getting victus and nothing else really has to be researched in the table) so you don't ragefroth about being able to scan nearly EVERYTHING.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
I've had pretty good luck using it as a basis...I mean, the last three worlds I've had to delay starting thaumcraft because of gold shortages, but it's still fairly early when I can get a thaumometer made. The most important things seem to be to get the victus aspect quickly (mortus usually happens within 5 minutes of getting victus and nothing else really has to be researched in the table) so you don't ragefroth about being able to scan nearly EVERYTHING.
Don't get me wrong, I've used that thread a lot in some of my playthroughs, I just find that it's worth waiting until you can take advantage of the double point bonus. Though that thread is still very handy for establishing the order in which to go about doing this.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
It may have been on the reddit but it's not that one. Thanks though. This is really gonna bug me now.

I'd been trying to find a jazz song from a 4th grade musical for years. I only knew the tune and had no clue as to the artist or title. Years! I ran into an old classmate who knew the artist and 3 minutes later I had the song playing on YouTube. This thread search pales in comparison but it's still gonna bug me. :p

Cheetohz

Jul 29, 2019
I personally prefer learning on my own, but I cannot seem to figure out what I am doing wrong here.

Attachments

• 2014-01-14_11.00.19.png
    2014-01-14_11.00.19.png
    432.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 2014-01-14_11.02.41.png
    2014-01-14_11.02.41.png
    434.1 KB · Views: 68