Thaumcraft alchemy

neosatan

Jul 29, 2019
Last time that I looked at thaumcraft it was somewhere around time when it was released for 1.7.10. So imagine my confusion when I did discover that pipes can hold one type of essential at given time.
I did some reading and it seem that whole piping system was improved with idea is suction and filtering. Quite nice thus design for my distillery becomes quite undefined. (I know that there is a golem for that, but over complicated system sounds more sexy)
But to the questions:
- Is there a way that one can force suction to a jar (or alchemical construct)?
- is there a way to transfer essential from one essential buffer to another one? It seems that buffers blocks suction, and that is very bad.
- is there a way to apply undefined suction? (Without any essential type)

TPB

Jul 29, 2019
I'm assuming you are using the latest version of Thaumcraft as recently many things have changed.

1) Force in which way? If you mean "only there", you can path essentia via suction power (higher = first) and directional tubes. If you mean "set" a level of suction to keep... not really. Each different item has it's own level that's defined. You can play with it a little and can manipulate it a little (restriction essentia tubes, labels on jars...). Also, recently "machines" have had some nifty changes like 2 differnt suction levels if in use or not (as in, a centrifuge that is centrifugu..centrif... spinning) pulls LESS than an empty one) and you can turn them off completely with redstone. AND jars and the like have had comparator support added. :D Also, note that buffers have a settable essentia pull, more on it on point 2)

2) Yes. Remember that essentia flows from lower suction to higher one. Buffers start at a 1 suction, for each bellow attached to them 32 suction is added (well, the first bellow sets suction to 32, but that's an exception :D) Also very recently you can set individual sides of a buffer to give off either full suction, 1 suction or 0 suction, allowing them to be accessed in different ways from different sides (shift right click with a wand). You can place 2 buffers one next to the other and set the one you want to "lose" essentia to have 0 suction on the side of the other buffer.

3) Yes and no. You can't convert an half full jar suction type. A blank filtered tube is just another tube section with no particular power. BUT buffers and other machines (ie, centrifuge and prehaps others i'm missing) ALWAYS give off undefined suction, so you could use a buffer to apply that type of suction in some areas. Also, empty unlabelled jar always give off untyped suction UNTIL at least an essentia point is stored.

Little correction... you can have only one suction type applied to a single line at a time. You can move all the different essentia types in a single line if you wanted to, but you have to have untyped suction costantly OR a way to clear unwanted "stuck" essentia. Each tube is like a little 1 point jar, and for example aer will not move if it's tube recives herba suction, possibly clogging everything.

If you need further help, ask away.

neosatan

Jul 29, 2019
That helped a lot. Didn't know about buffers behavior with bellows. Somehow that slipped me when I was reading thauno... thaum... magic book. Now I see that it's quite easy to set up most of creations that I can imagine.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
The TC alchemy system is a horribly convoluted thing I still can't figure out the quirks too. I have times where I think I have it but then I end up with no clue.
Sadly TC essentia pipes are only good for inflexible purpose built alchemy setups (e.g an automated alumentum machine with dedicated labeled pipes, jars and alembics).
For all round flexible alchemy setups it can't be done with pipes, golems actually struggle with it too, I have not yet found a way to get golems to fill an alchemical construct with the things it needs from jars or alembics. Sure they can fill jars from the alembics pretty good but automating general purpose alchemy is difficult if not impossible with pipes or golems.

If you want to automate alchemy it can only be for one purpose.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Aaaaah I thought you were trying to automate distilling with pipes... Yes alchemy you need pipes or alembics next to it and generally can only be used for one thing.

Although Dire did manage a metal processing system using nuggets and native clusters all in one alchemical construct in a Forgecraft series(base was in a desert next to some water)

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Aaaaah I thought you were trying to automate distilling with pipes... Yes alchemy you need pipes or alembics next to it and generally can only be used for one thing.

Although Dire did manage a metal processing system using nuggets and native clusters all in one alchemical construct in a Forgecraft series(base was in a desert next to some water)
IIRC this system only uses metallum and ordo, regardless of the ore being processed.

Reactions: GreenZombie

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I have a single "system" that I put buttons and coal in on one end, and it automatically distills (and bottles) herba, aer, arbor, machina, motus, instrumentum, ordo, humanus, cognito, bestia and spiritus, victus and perdito I think. It consists of about 8 centrifuges (and buffers) all piped together.

You can make fantastical machines with TCs piping. But it mostly involves special purpose buffers, centrifuges and furnaces.

TPB

Jul 29, 2019
Just letting this here.
http://imgur.com/a/2AZ3j
It was made 8 months ago, right after the so called "tube nerf". Totally possible back then to have a sorting system based on tubes.

Now it's EVEN EASIER, we are back to the starting point. it's just costly to achieve. No need for redstone nor complex planning. Just try it in the latest version before panicking. The op did the right thing, it gave the system a go.

Now, back planning that 5 thaumatoriums recycling facility.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
What about those new Vis tanks tho. Up to 256 essentia of any mix of aspects. Im trying to figure out where/how they might be useful. Do they emit untyped suction always?

neosatan

Jul 29, 2019
Not only a sorting system. I want to fuel furnace and lamps of growth also. Same for that sex lamp (don't recall the name). I always found tc pipes sexy. Thus first version was kinda too easy, so I lost interest in them.
Basiclly now, when I understand how to make essential move it's very easy to make nearly anything. When I will be at home I will post a quick screen to show basic essentia sorting system.
And seriously golems? My backyard Already looks like kindergarden. They are running everywhere. They are cute and so, but golems and children shouldn't be allowed near heavy duty machinery.

TPB

Jul 29, 2019
What about those new Vis tanks tho. Up to 256 essentia of any mix of aspects. Im trying to figure out where/how they might be useful. Do they emit untyped suction always?

Yes 24 untyped when not full, 0 untyped (err, well... no suction whatsoever) when full.
Forgot about it since it's, well... a gift from the great minds from elsewhere. Not really going that deep yet :D

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Yes 24 untyped when not full, 0 untyped (err, well... no suction whatsoever) when full.
Forgot about it since it's, well... a gift from the great minds from elsewhere. Not really going that deep yet :D
Delve! you will learn the secret of why secrets are secret! STOP HOWLING AT ME! Ohh bugger! daddy needs his salt... SPIDERS!