Thaumcraft Alchemical Construct - faster automation possible?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Jorvalt

Jul 29, 2019
So, I'm currently using the Direwolf20 pack for 1.7.10 and I was wondering if it's possible to make the alchemical construct produce items faster. The main issue is the fact that it always draws out more essentia than it needs, so all of that has to go back to the storage (I use essentia reservoirs) before the next type of essentia can be drawn out. Would there be any way to amend this problem? I would say if it's somehow possible to make a sort of "loop" of essentia tubes, as in essentia can only go in one direction to the alchemical construct, and then has to go forward instead of back to get to the storage. I've tried this but thus far to no avail. Any ideas?

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Golems can get a core installed that allows them to decant Essentia, so figuring out which ones you need and setting up a transfer station between a set of storage jars and alch. const. jars will do it for you. Bonus points if you label the jars.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

bdudek

Jul 29, 2019
You can use the essentia buffer to make walls of jars dw20 had a glimps of the setup someone did on fc. It was the server episode when they fought the thuamcraft dungeon boss.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I would just make an extra alchemy setup specific for the item so I wouldnt have to worry about leftover essentia gumming up the works. You could also add thaumic energistics to the pack. Or the TC addon automagy might have something.

Jorvalt

Jul 29, 2019
Golems can get a core installed that allows them to decant Essentia, so figuring out which ones you need and setting up a transfer station between a set of storage jars and alch. const. jars will do it for you. Bonus points if you label the jars.

I have essentia reservoirs, so that doesn't work. You must have missed that part, read it again.

You can use the essentia buffer to make walls of jars dw20 had a glimps of the setup someone did on fc. It was the server episode when they fought the thuamcraft dungeon boss.
Could you provide a link? I'd appreciate it since I don't really feel like video hunting.
Edit: I found the video and that setup looks very confusing. I'm not sure how it works and if there's anything I can't see that would be crucial to know about.

Last edited:

Jorvalt

Jul 29, 2019
Another concern: It appears that with this kind of setup it's impossible to have automated alchemy. You would have to do it manually seeing as obviously the suction from the alchemical construct can't pass through the buffers. I really don't understand how this is supposed to help.

bdudek

Jul 29, 2019
give me a bit i will provide photos and instructions just need to get home from work first

bdudek

Jul 29, 2019
Ioq0zzP.png

ok here is a small version of the set up it is expandable to cover all aspects. the buffers are pulling from the furnace and fills the jars as it goes down the line.
i3oORGi.png

to get the Buffers passing to each other you need to shift right click with a wand on the output side of the buffer.

if the jars are full the essentia goes all through and into the reservoirs. and at the end i have a valve to the crystalizers to turn the extra aspects into the crystals. this way you can maintain it for 64 per jar and any extra goes to the Reservoirs. and youcan have it go almost anyware from the other side of the valve even back to the beginning of the system.

Here is the link to the dw20 video where i first saw this setup

Jorvalt

Jul 29, 2019
Ioq0zzP.png

ok here is a small version of the set up it is expandable to cover all aspects. the buffers are pulling from the furnace and fills the jars as it goes down the line.
i3oORGi.png

to get the Buffers passing to each other you need to shift right click with a wand on the output side of the buffer.

if the jars are full the essentia goes all through and into the reservoirs. and at the end i have a valve to the crystalizers to turn the extra aspects into the crystals. this way you can maintain it for 64 per jar and any extra goes to the Reservoirs. and youcan have it go almost anyware from the other side of the valve even back to the beginning of the system.

Here is the link to the dw20 video where i first saw this setup
Sorry, I think you may have misunderstood me. I said "alchemical construct", did I not? You know, the automated crucible. I don't mean distillation, I mean alchemy. So are you saying it's impossible to automate alchemy in this fashion?
EDIT: Let me try to be a bit clearer on this. My issue is the fact that when the alchemical construct pulls essentia to it, it always pulls more than the recipe demands. Ergo, you have to wait for the excess essentia to go back to whatever storage you have before the next type can come forward. I'm asking if there's any way around this so that either the construct doesn't pull more essentia than it needs or the aspects can somehow pass by each other unhindered.

bdudek

Jul 29, 2019
i know with the pipes its stores a small amount of essentia in it. does the essentia go into the construct or is there some getting in the pipes

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
I'll have to check some things, but setting up dedicated jars for the construct for specific recipes is the way I find it efficient.

That being said, someone mentioned reservoirs? I'll have to check but golem interactions might be working in the latest version for that mod.

Jorvalt

Jul 29, 2019
I'll have to check some things, but setting up dedicated jars for the construct for specific recipes is the way I find it efficient.

That being said, someone mentioned reservoirs? I'll have to check but golem interactions might be working in the latest version for that mod.

Yeah, but I'd have to build a crapload of constructs in order to have them dedicated to specific recipes. There's a lot of stuff that I need to make with alchemy. Also, I'm playing in the dw20 1.7.10 pack, so it's not the very latest version, but one of the more recent ones. From what I've heard, golems don't work with essentia reservoirs.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Well, that's why there's expansion ports for extra recipes available to the construct. Of course, figuring out which ones to use on a construct requires some research, but you can just drop down a ring of jars and tubing to do the job once you have an action plan.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
The main issue is the fact that it always draws out more essentia than it needs, so all of that has to go back to the storage.

There's your problem. You want the most difference between the essentia producer and the consumer. Hence, eliminate the middle storage and pipe straight into the construct.

Here's my setup:
PiWexhC.png

Charcoal in the alchemical furnaces could not keep my construct fed fast enough. I had to use alumentum to produce the Essentia faster. Yes - I'm looping my alumentum back to produce alumentum. I had been using the multiplied alumentum in a GT boiler to make steam.

Jorvalt

Jul 29, 2019
Well, that's why there's expansion ports for extra recipes available to the construct. Of course, figuring out which ones to use on a construct requires some research, but you can just drop down a ring of jars and tubing to do the job once you have an action plan.

Problem is, though, that adding runic matrixes to an alchemical construct will take up one of the tube entry ports for every runic matrix added. I mean, sure, it could be done, but we'd be running into the same problem essentially. I mean, I suppose I could just move the construct closer to the storage...
There's your problem. You want the most difference between the essentia producer and the consumer. Hence, eliminate the middle storage and pipe straight into the construct.

Here's my setup:
PiWexhC.png

Charcoal in the alchemical furnaces could not keep my construct fed fast enough. I had to use alumentum to produce the Essentia faster. Yes - I'm looping my alumentum back to produce alumentum. I had been using the multiplied alumentum in a GT boiler to make steam.
That's not the cause of the problem. I don't have my furnaces running while I'm doing alchemy.

Jorvalt

Jul 29, 2019
+

=

Not enough suction.

TC4 suction is affected by distance. Either move your storage directly adjacent to constructs or your producers directly adjacent.
Ok, I feel like you're severely misunderstanding me here. See, what I'm trying to say is, I'm not running my furnaces while doing alchemy on purpose. I'm not saying that my furnaces won't run while I'm doing alchemy or something. I run the furnaces and the essentia goes into storage so that I can later use that essentia for alchemy when I need it. I'm saying my problem was that when I do alchemy, the construct pulls more essentia than it needs meaning once it's hit the full amount of that specific type it needs for the recipe there's still more of that essentia in the tubes and that then needs to go back to the storage before the next type of essentia can come forth due to the fact that only one type of essentia can be in a tube at one time. Ergo, by shortening the distance I would reduce the amount of tubes from the storage to the construct and thereby reduce the amount of time it takes for the essentia to get there and back.