Thaumcraft Addons.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I am thinking about putting together a modpack focused a lot on Thaumcraft. I want to make a cohesive feeling to the pack, and not just have it be a bunch of thaumcraft mods thrown in together. I am interested in getting rid of some of the overlap between the various mods using modtweaker to make the adjustments. Some of the mods are new to me, and I haven't explored them all in detail, so I will need a little bit of help with some of them to identify the sections I need to look at for balance.

Here are the thaumcraft addons I've been looking at:

Automagy
Forbidden Magic
Magia Naturalis
Thaumic Exploration
Thaumic Tinkerer
Witching Gadgets

I've looked at Thaumic Horizons, and I simply do not want it. I personally don't see that it adds anything to gameplay, or fills any voids left out of the other mods.

Some of the sections I know I need to tweak:

TT - Osmotic Enchanter - This block makes enchanting so cheap and easy. I am considering gating this a bit higher up the research chain to give more chance for the regular infusion enchantment to be used.

TT - Imbued Fires -- Just bad all around. It can be used well, but used incorrectly, it can destroy a server.

Magia Naturalis and Witching Gadgets - Both have a way to change the local biome. Magia seems to be a bit better planned out, and can theoretically handle any biome in the world while the witching gadgets one is a bit more limited. Is one any better than the other in use though? Should both be left in?

Thaumic Exploration - Night vision enchantment. This is a super cheap enchantment, and I feel really takes a bit of the danger out of exploring at night. I've abused this enchant liberally, and find the night is no more dangerous than the day once you can see all the enemies everywhere. Potions and berries are fine. A permanent enchant? Not so much.

Anything else I should look at?

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumic Infusion. It basically allows you to infuse blocks with various effect based on the essentia you give it.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumic Infusion. It basically allows you to infuse blocks with various effect based on the essentia you give it.
I just looked at this again... I saw the first version of this mod some months ago, which honestly I wasn't impressed with. The rewrite that he did is actually pretty cool. I am impressed now. At least from the few preview effects that are demonstrated, it seems that this could do some unusual builds. I love the aqua infusion. No more figuring out where to hide the water block in indoor farms, or worrying about the dripping water into the room below. I can see myself using this. And of course, it doesn't seem to add or overlap the functionality from the other mods since this comes at the problem from a different angle. Thanks, I like it. :)

Now, I just need to play with the other mods a bit and see what needs to be tweaked/balanced.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I believe there's also a thaumcraft mod which logs all the nodes you've scanned, showing their coordinates and what their stats are and there should also be a thaumcraft mod which will tell you how stable your infusion altar is.
there's also ofcourse Thaumic Energistics, but that's not a mod to be used if you plan on keeping the play magic only.

ewsmith

Jul 29, 2019
TC Node Tracker
Nodal Mechanics

also: on thaumic horizons. if you can't find anything good about it you didn't look hard enough.
goggles of revealing lens: night vision above or below water but not both at the same time, xray mob sight, thaumometer scanning lens
animal infusion: self-shearing sheep, guarding panther, nightmare
self-infusion: silverwood heart prevents flux taint potion effect, warped tumor removes some warp until the body dies
death prevention: make a block to rip your soul out at death and put it into another body. prevents most death related effects. even mod ones.
magic mirror amulet: sends your items to a mirror when you or your body dies.
artifical un-energized node: gets power from etherial essence and centivis
containment focus: bottled mobs

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I believe there's also a thaumcraft mod which logs all the nodes you've scanned, showing their coordinates and what their stats are and there should also be a thaumcraft mod which will tell you how stable your infusion altar is.
there's also ofcourse Thaumic Energistics, but that's not a mod to be used if you plan on keeping the play magic only.

TC Node Tracker
Nodal Mechanics

also: on thaumic horizons. if you can't find anything good about it you didn't look hard enough.
goggles of revealing lens: night vision above or below water but not both at the same time, xray mob sight, thaumometer scanning lens
animal infusion: self-shearing sheep, guarding panther, nightmare
self-infusion: silverwood heart prevents flux taint potion effect, warped tumor removes some warp until the body dies
death prevention: make a block to rip your soul out at death and put it into another body. prevents most death related effects. even mod ones.
magic mirror amulet: sends your items to a mirror when you or your body dies.
artifical un-energized node: gets power from etherial essence and centivis
containment focus: bottled mobs

I will be including the TC4 Node tracker, but I considered it more a utility mod, and didn't include it in the list. I would include thaumic horizons in a general mod pack that included all sorts of OP shenanigans. Some of the things it does is quite neat, I just don't like it for my vision of the pack I want to do. I think it is a bit too outlandish.

My original question wasn't about what mods to look at(although I do like the suggestions), but which parts of mods I would want to consider for inclusion, exclusion, or tweaking. As I said in the original post, I am considering either eliminating it totally, or tweaking the research requirements for the Osmotic Enchanter as I find it trivializes regular infusion enchantment. By the time I can normally make the thaumium fortress armor and want to enchant it, I can also make the osmotic enchanter. This cuts out a huge section of gameplay and game mechanics. I am wondering what other aspects of the mods I should examine more closely. I'm looking for things that shortcut original tc4 progression, duplicates functionality, or makes gameplay too easy. I want you to still have to work at things in the mid-late game. It shouldn't be a cake walk even in late game.

Has anyone used the biome changing mechanics of witching gadgets or magia naturalis? I am wondering what people's thought are on them. Both of these mods are completely new to me. I haven't had a chance to play with them at all. I know they would be absolutely awesome with forestry bee keeping, and may work for creating an overworld wither skeleton farm, or setting up an area for mana bean farming. Beyond that, I don't see any apparent uses, but I could be wrong as I haven't actually played with them yet.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Haven't tried it yet, but it might work in place of multiple Bottles of Taint as part of my Scorched Earth final defense system that I have in mind. (I purposely reduced the rate of creep that Taint grows at.)

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Master_Builder_800

Jul 29, 2019
I oppose your complaint about the thuamcraft enchanter. It is not easy. On my old server we went through great lengths to try and get it running. It is not at all easy until you get a good endgame thaumcraft source of stuff

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I oppose your complaint about the thuamcraft enchanter. It is not easy. On my old server we went through great lengths to try and get it running. It is not at all easy until you get a good endgame thaumcraft source of stuff

By thaumcraft standards I would say the osmotic enchanter is extremely easy.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
By thaumcraft standards I would say the osmotic enchanter is extremely easy.
My point exactly. The hardest part is actually crafting it. The amount of stabilizers needed is a bit higher than what you need for most recipes, but can become rather trivial if you have a netherwart farm and a bit of rotten flesh. Even if the wand costs were doubled, it really wouldn't affect use that much. (Prior to energized nodes and worktable recharging, it was a bit more difficult to use.) Adding a level cost to use it would bring it back in line with normal enchanting. You would just be trading essentia cost and items for the ease of use, but since I can't do anything about that, I can at least gate it behind some end game researches.