Thaumcraft 4 Taint problem

JustMCraft

Jul 29, 2019
I have thaumcraft 4 installed , with a nice and little house , everything ok but :
There is a taint biome very very close ( 100 blocks ) of my house and i can't find a silverwood.
So , how do I stop the spread of taint? I readed some posts and they say to stop it at the configs , but i can't find the config and if i find it I really can't config it.
I need a tutoral how to do it plz .
Sorry if the is any writing error here.

Folanlron

Jul 29, 2019
Etheral Bloom,

Had the same problem also when I updated my world from 1.5 -> 1.6 the retro-gen threw a taint biome right in front of my house, a Etheral Bloom will stop taint spread but won't stop it 100%.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
You can't get ethereal blooms without silverwood either, because the flowers you need to make them spawn only in the shade under silverwood trees... :p

Thaumcraft 4 has a bit of an issue with silverwood in general due to a.) promoting the stuff from "nice to have exotic ingredient" to "absolutely required to access over half of the mod" and b.) only making it spawn in its own biome, instead of randomly all over the place.

As a result, you need to explore and find a Magic Forest. If you've added the mod with retrogen to existing worlds, good luck - you won't find any. You need to generate new terrain for Magic Forests to show up. And even then they're rare.

AlexUbel

Jul 29, 2019
When did Silverwood get changed to spawn in their own biome? Because I have the newest version of the mod available and I have seen the tree in other biomes. I have yet to see a magical forest though.

Reactions: Cirom

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, did it change again? Would be appreciated. I have 4.02a in my world and had to jump through hoops to get any silverwood at all.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Fun facts: Force mitts give you more silverwood saplings from silverwood leaves. Shimmerleaf flowers now spawn when a silverwood tree grows. If there's a node at the center of an area filled with taint that's contributing to/causing the taint, destroy it!

Arc de Seel

Jul 29, 2019
I have a similar problem. I have played with thaumcraft before but never used it. I started a server on ftbMonster, and spawned within this magical forest biome. I then went away for a day, without stopping my server, and now a taint spring has overwhelmed the jungle near me. I only have stone tools and wood armor: not enough to kill even just two tainted pigs. Is there any way to get rid of this tainty stuff?

Kik

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, to answer your original request. These are the steps I use to easily locate and change a config for a FTB Packs.
1) On the FTB Launcher window, before you launch your instance, highlight your chosen pack and then click on
the Edit Mod Pack button situated below the orange OPTIONS and MODPACKS buttons.
2) On the Mod Pack Editor window that pops, up, click on the Open Folder button at the bottom left.
This will bring you to the folder on your computer where the instance you first highlighted (Monster, or Direwolf20 for example) is installed.
The addess bar will look something like this :
C:\Users\Owner\Documents\My Games\Feed the Beast Stuff\Monster\minecraft\mods
3) You will want to go up a folder level and if using windows7 you can just click on the \minecraft\ in the address bar to go to that particular folder.
This will give you the list of folders as follows :
configs
coremods
crash-reports
CustomDISkins
dumps
mods
etc
4) In the configs folder, scroll down to the Thaumcraft file and double click it. It should automatically open in Notebook or some other text editor.
5) Scroll down to the section of the config file you want to tweak, change things to your preferences, safe the file and start your instance.

####################
# taint
#===================
# Biomes and effects
####################

taint {
# Eerie biome id
I:biome_eerie=164

# Magical Forest biome id
I:biome_magical_forest=163

# Taint biome id
I:biome_taint=162

# The chance per chunk (1 in n) of a Taint biome spawning during world gen. Setting it to 0 prevents the spawning of Taint biomes.
I:biome_taint_chance=2000

# Can Taint be caused by flux effects.
B:biome_taint_from_flux=false

# The chance per block update (1 in n) of the Taint biome spreading. Setting it to 0 prevents the spread of Taint biomes.
I:biome_taint_spread=0
}

These are the settings for Monster 1.1.0. As you can see Taint spread is already turned off. Not sure about the other packs.

>_< Eeps, just noticed this is a necroed thread. :(

Kik

Jul 29, 2019
@Arc de Seel

The ethereal blooms work, it takes 4 to clear the area of an eerie biome. However you need to get into Thaumcraft a decent amount to get access to those. If you have access to rainbow trees from Reika's dye trees, apparently they too can counter taint but I've never used them and don't know the mechanics of that sorry.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, to answer your original request. These are the steps I use to easily locate and change a config for a FTB Packs.
1) On the FTB Launcher window, before you launch your instance, highlight your chosen pack and then click on
the Edit Mod Pack button situated below the orange OPTIONS and MODPACKS buttons.
2) On the Mod Pack Editor window that pops, up, click on the Open Folder button at the bottom left.
This will bring you to the folder on your computer where the instance you first highlighted (Monster, or Direwolf20 for example) is installed.
The addess bar will look something like this :
C:\Users\Owner\Documents\My Games\Feed the Beast Stuff\Monster\minecraft\mods
3) You will want to go up a folder level and if using windows7 you can just click on the \minecraft\ in the address bar to go to that particular folder.
This will give you the list of folders as follows :
configs
coremods
crash-reports
CustomDISkins
dumps
mods
etc
4) In the configs folder, scroll down to the Thaumcraft file and double click it. It should automatically open in Notebook or some other text editor.
5) Scroll down to the section of the config file you want to tweak, change things to your preferences, safe the file and start your instance.

####################
# taint
#===================
# Biomes and effects
####################

taint {
# Eerie biome id
I:biome_eerie=164

# Magical Forest biome id
I:biome_magical_forest=163

# Taint biome id
I:biome_taint=162

# The chance per chunk (1 in n) of a Taint biome spawning during world gen. Setting it to 0 prevents the spawning of Taint biomes.
I:biome_taint_chance=2000

# Can Taint be caused by flux effects.
B:biome_taint_from_flux=false

# The chance per block update (1 in n) of the Taint biome spreading. Setting it to 0 prevents the spread of Taint biomes.
I:biome_taint_spread=0
}

These are the settings for Monster 1.1.0. As you can see Taint spread is already turned off. Not sure about the other packs.

>_< Eeps, just noticed this is a necroed thread. :(
;) Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the OP was from October last year, but that was still good help.
I have a similar problem. I have played with thaumcraft before but never used it. I started a server on ftbMonster, and spawned within this magical forest biome. I then went away for a day, without stopping my server, and now a taint spring has overwhelmed the jungle near me. I only have stone tools and wood armor: not enough to kill even just two tainted pigs. Is there any way to get rid of this tainty stuff?
Kik is right, at this point you probably don't have enough resources to conquer a tainted biome unless you go absolutely insane on resource gathering. I would advise setting the config options that Kik advised earlier in order to stop the spread of taint until you can deal with it.