[Thaumcraft 4] Getting Some Aer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shazam08

Jul 29, 2019
So, after putting it off for a while, I've finally started on TC4 in my SSP world. Took me a while to figure it out, but I think I understand the basic concepts.

My only problem is collecting Primal Aspects with any kind of sustainability (particularly Aer, hence the title). I get that once you research an item you get research points corresponding to its aspects but... I'm already running out of items to scam. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Crystal clusters of each primal, as well as bookcases, will allow you to regenerate one point per aspect marked with a little star after you have used all of that aspect. This allows you to have infinite aspects, although it can be slow to regenerate.

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
The first things you should research in TC is Advanced Research, Research Mastery and the Deconstruction Table. In 4.0 this can be done by selecting Cognito 3 times (as that is the only research tied to Cognito at the start), in 4.1 it is even easier.

With a Deconstruction table built, just drop a stack of crafting tables in and click now and again to get primals. Slow, but you'll get there.

also, going exploring and scanning nodes will also get you tons upon tons of primals.

KhrFreak

Jul 29, 2019
The first things you should research in TC is Advanced Research, Research Mastery and the Deconstruction Table. In 4.0 this can be done by selecting Cognito 3 times (as that is the only research tied to Cognito at the start), in 4.1 it is even easier.

With a Deconstruction table built, just drop a stack of crafting tables in and click now and again to get primals. Slow, but you'll get there.

also, going exploring and scanning nodes will also get you tons upon tons of primals.
pretty sure netherwart can be broken down into any of the primals as well

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
Crystal clusters of each primal, as well as bookcases, will allow you to regenerate one point per aspect marked with a little star after you have used all of that aspect. This allows you to have infinite aspects, although it can be slow to regenerate.

Actually, i'm not sure whats going on with AER. I don't have the little thing next to AER even though I have 12 crystals clusters right there, as well as 10+ nodes.

Bug?

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Actually, i'm not sure whats going on with AER. I don't have the little thing next to AER even though I have 12 crystals clusters right there, as well as 10+ nodes.

Bug?

Nope, that happens. Give it time and it should fix itself.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019

Bug?

In my experience, less is more. I *only* have crystal clusters and only in those Primals I'm short on. If you're short only on Aer - have just 1 Aer crystal cluster and nothing else. No other clsuters, no bookshelves, etc.,. Otherwise, if I pack a lot of different aspect generators next to my research table, it will generate the "wrong" one and it seems to take forever getting around to the one I really want.

In TC4, I also made liberal use of the Deconstruction Table. I kept it full of Mossy Cobblestone at all time. The Mossy Cobblestone came from a TE3 Fluid Transposer.

In TC4.1, research is much, much easier. I'm finding I don't need as many research points to finish research. You can also steer the aspects torwards something you have a lot of. For instance, if it involves Terra, I will use Saxum to get to Metallum and burn that. Vacuous is another good one since it leads to Perdito, which I usually have lots of. This kind of option did not exist in TC4.

Also in TC4.1, Azanor also added a research topic to enable a 1-click combining feature. This makes the business of research more straightforward and less frustrating.

And, last but certainly not least, TC 4.1 lets you pick what you want to research next. No more clicking and praying.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Something that I found very useful for primal aspects is to go node hunting, and scan them all with your thaumometer
Every node gives you research points dependent on what aspects it has, so, any nodes with aer in them are your friend.

Reactions: YX33A and Padfoote

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I suggest using Pumpkin Pie in your Deconstruction Table if you need spare aspects. I use it for almost all of my primal aspect production, as it can net you almost all of them IIRC, except for Ignis. It has several extremely complicated aspects from the victus chain, including Messa, which makes it include Humanis. Which rocks since it's made from three simple ingredients, sugar, pumpkin, and eggs.

But that's just my thoughts on getting most things from one deconstruction table. I get an aspect for almost every piece of pie I put in it. But I don't get Ignis from it IIRC.

cannajan

Jul 29, 2019
Press shift on items in inventories, aspects are shown if you've scanned it, its easy to miss things, forgetting thaumcraft machines is easy done :p
Also I tend to solve the research puzzle before lighting runes, just by assuming that rare runes will be the ones that are aspects, if there are just 2 or 3 of that rune, then I move them into place before lighting -only uses 1 of the aspect, no turning on and off. Its not always possible on some of the harder research with lots of aspects, but its been helpful in conserving what aspects I have.