Thank you MeteorCraft for ...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
<long political argument>
Anyway, just trying to point out, if govenments are not investing in fusion it is because there is no possibility of return at all or some risk is just too high. It has nothing to do with time.
Ask most politicians and you find that they plan from election to election, not decade to decade.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Ask most politicians and you find that they plan from election to election, not decade to decade.

I posted two examples showing that is not true. Read the article about the S Korean steel company, the president said steel production was important for Korea's long term economic health.

Are you saying then that the other guy is right? We could have limitless power from a fusion reaction like many of us ahve heard about for decades...but no one wants to invest in it? The machine that would revolutionize the world and give whatever government created it ultimate economic power?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
It depends if the politician can sell his constituents on a long term plan. Sometimes its tough :)

But I agree with a lot of your argument, zorn. Basically, fusion power isn't a 100% sure thing. Its probably more solid than commercial hydrogen cells (which were also a solid thing but haven't panned out very well) but its hard to put all your eggs into that basket.

On the other hand, it IS receiving a lot of private and public funding, for what its worth. Of course, "lot" is a subjective term.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I posted two examples showing that is not true. Read the article about the S Korean steel company, the president said steel production was important for Korea's long term economic health.

Are you saying then that the other guy is right? We could have limitless power from a fusion reaction like many of us ahve heard about for decades...but no one wants to invest in it? The machine that would revolutionize the world and give whatever government created it ultimate economic power?
I was actually singling out US and European politicians more than anyone else. Need I remind about how they frequently say things like "this party's main objective for the next 4 years is to ensure X does not win the next election"?

I would be more specific, but I do not want to start a political debate.

Reactions: YX33A

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
This is a topic for another thread, but I never cease to be horrified by how bad many schools seem to be (some even have high-school curricula featuring multiplication, spelling, and grow-your-own-bean-plant projects).
Don't get me wrong, though, that Grow-Your-Own-Bean project was still super cool because I got to see the roots grow and drink the water we had dyed.
Just so happens that I was out of my element in High School Science Class. I was closer to Tritium while they were still laughing at CH4 Releases.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Don't get me wrong, though, that Grow-Your-Own-Bean project was still super cool because I got to see the roots grow and drink the water we had dyed.
Just so happens that I was out of my element in High School Science Class. I was closer to Tritium while they were still laughing at CH4 Releases.
My younger brother had a project like that; it was "Bean dies -> fail/bean lives -> B/bean continues growing -> A+".

Jenral

Jul 29, 2019
MeteorCraft added a defence gun several versions ago.

But how does it work? I can't find any information on how to use it. I have the Tier 2 gun connected to a magnetostatic engine running at full power and it hasn't stopped a single meteor.

2608606.jpg

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Since this has been a very @Reika aimed thread, I'll post a somehow unrelated thing for his attention (It's my thread dammit!)

I have just started tinkering with Rotarycraft (finally!) and while the handbook is detailed and everything, I keep finding myself clicking aimlessly to find something I need about a machine or something in it.

Can a search option be added pretty please? Or if there is one, am I missing it?

Reactions: Padfoote

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Since this has been a very @Reika aimed thread, I'll post a somehow unrelated thing for his attention (It's my thread dammit!)

I have just started tinkering with Rotarycraft (finally!) and while the handbook is detailed and everything, I keep finding myself clicking aimlessly to find something I need about a machine or something in it.

Can a search option be added pretty please? Or if there is one, am I missing it?
For technical reasons, no.

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
My younger brother had a project like that; it was "Bean dies -> fail/bean lives -> B/bean continues growing -> A+".
*dumps pesticide in a few random peoples bean cups, fertilizer in mine*

anywho.
http://www.purdue.edu/impactearth/ assuming it works. ive had problems with this stupid thing. got a better flash impact simulator?
https://what-if.xkcd.com/57/
take a look at the other what-if pages, theyre all interesting. he applies RL physics to hypothetical situations, some of which are bizzare.
#1 (speed of light baseball. hint: BOOM), #12 (1 km wide raindrop) and #73 (death by neutrino radiaton) are 3 of my favs. #29 is interesting for another reason.

question before you read 73:
which is brighter, a supernova as seen from ~150 million km, or a nuke from ~1m (distance from your eye to the "pit")?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
*dumps pesticide in a few random peoples bean cups, fertilizer in mine*

anywho.
http://www.purdue.edu/impactearth/ assuming it works. ive had problems with this stupid thing. got a better flash impact simulator?
https://what-if.xkcd.com/57/
take a look at the other what-if pages, theyre all interesting. he applies RL physics to hypothetical situations, some of which are bizzare.
#1 (speed of light baseball. hint: BOOM), #12 (1 km wide raindrop) and #73 (death by neutrino radiaton) are 3 of my favs. #29 is interesting for another reason.

question before you read 73:
which is brighter, a supernova as seen from ~150 million km, or a nuke from ~1m (distance from your eye to the "pit")?
I already read xkcd and its what-if. :p

Meninx87

Jul 29, 2019
Ok i know i'm gonna get killed for the following question but....what is the power requirement for the meteor radar and meteor defence gun? I can't find these infos anywhere...(so far). Is there a page that lists all the tech details about those machines?

Reactions: Jenral