Tell me about your bees

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
Diamondi Bees = Diamond
Emeraldi Bees = Emerald
Secluded Bee = Nether Quartz
Quantum Bee = Certus Quartz (Unleashed 1.1.4 only).
Shadow Bee line = Pulverized Obsidian
Shining Bee = Silver
Glittering Bee = Gold
Luster Bee = Ferrous

Demonic Bee = Glowdust
Fiendish Bee = Best source of lava

maid450

Jul 29, 2019
Pipes & Gates~!
iuvmD36.png

left side is the breeder where I put 2 different bee to combine .
right side is the purifier where I put the mix princess to make it pure breed

Wow this looks quite amazing!
Would you mind explaining a little more in depth how this setup works?

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
Pipes & Gates~!

iuvmD36.png

left side is the breeder where I put 2 different bee to combine .
right side is the purifier where I put the mix princess to make it pure breed

and yup alarm.

gonna upgrade the setup soon with alveary and adv apiarist pipe.

I would be very interested in a pastebin of your code, as well as a more in-depth explanation of how you have everything configured. :)

riciJak

Jul 29, 2019
Looks nice!

Gotta try soon!

Wow this looks quite amazing!
Would you mind explaining a little more in depth how this setup works?

I would be very interested in a pastebin of your code, as well as a more in-depth explanation of how you have everything configured. :)

There's no computer involve just pipes and gates.

I'm not so good explaining in English so I'm just gonna upload a video and a world save

video

both setup can be merge to be fully functional and you guys may replace the apiarist pipe into an advance one for easy selection of bee.

hope you understand and like the setup.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Wow! I've got a lot of learning to do before I can do anything on this kind of scale, but this weekend, I guess I'll fool around in creative to figure out how to manage a set of the multi-block hives for semi-automatic farming and maybe some of the smaller hives for breeding up some crazy bees.

What are some good "goal" bees - I'm mostly interested in bees that might be useful for farming up otherwise finite resources. Bees that give me wheat are not nearly as exciting as bees that give me...like...rare ores or something. I dunno.

Your 1st goal bees need to be imperial and industrious. You will need both to setup the multi-block. Also, the imperial bees will be needed to finish the advanced genetic machines.

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
Wow! I've got a lot of learning to do before I can do anything on this kind of scale, but this weekend, I guess I'll fool around in creative to figure out how to manage a set of the multi-block hives for semi-automatic farming and maybe some of the smaller hives for breeding up some crazy bees.

What are some good "goal" bees - I'm mostly interested in bees that might be useful for farming up otherwise finite resources. Bees that give me wheat are not nearly as exciting as bees that give me...like...rare ores or something. I dunno.

The multiblock hives (alvearies) work exactly like the smaller version. And they require tons of material that you get from the smaller hives (apiaries), so I'd focus on learning to automate the smaller hives first.

One thing that not a lot of people tell you is that a pretty important part of bee breeding is making sure to attempt multiple cross-breeds at the same time. I generally run between 4 and 6 cross-breeds when I'm trying for a new species in apiaries (with full soul-frames).

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
This last world start ive tried doing the basic bee automation with extrautils pipes with great success (and VERY simple).

I would recommend it to bee newbies :)

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
One thing that not a lot of people tell you is that a pretty important part of bee breeding is making sure to attempt multiple cross-breeds at the same time. I generally run between 4 and 6 cross-breeds when I'm trying for a new species in apiaries (with full soul-frames).

I'm not so about this. When starting out I usually select one pair and work with them in an apiary that has soul frames. Depending on the results I either put them back in with the soul frames or not. Once I have a pair of bees that both have the same dominate species trait then I move them to a standard apiary with chocolate frames (no automation yet). I then hand select the best matches. After about 3 to 6 breedings with the best matches the new species stabilizes and the drones will start to stack. At this point I move them to an automated apiary with chocolate frames to breed more drones.

If I need to duplicate the species (example need another princess of common to breed diligent), I will put any hive princess (like a forest or meadows) in a apiary with about 15 drones from the species I want to duplicate. I setup the automation so only the princess goes back into the apiary (drones go to an output chest). Once all of the drones are gone and the new drones are stacking in the output chest I know the princess is done and ready for cross breeding to a new species. This will generate a lot of "junk" drones. Save them for the gene pool machine.

This all changes once you get the advanced genetic machines. Then I don't have fuss with the bees as much as long as I can get the species serum.

Reactions: TaintedHorizon

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not so about this. When starting out I usually select one pair and work with them in an apiary that has soul frames. Depending on the results I either put them back in with the soul frames or not. Once I have a pair of bees that both have the same dominate species trait then I move them to a standard apiary with chocolate frames (no automation yet). I then hand select the best matches. After about 3 to 6 breedings with the best matches the new species stabilizes and the drones will start to stack. At this point I move them to an automated apiary with chocolate frames to breed more drones.

It's like this. Each time you cross breed two pure parents, you have 100%xM (where M is the mutation chance) to get a hybrid of the species you want, and a 100%xM^2 chance of getting a pure of the species you want. If you breed two hybrids together, you get a 25% chance of pure, 50% chance of hybrid and 25% chance of trash. So, you have a better chance of getting at least a hybrid when breeding two pure parents than with breeding two hybrids, and you never have the risk of losing the species due to a bad cross. So to maximize your chances, you always want to run two pure parents until you get either a pure princess and pure drone or a hybrid princess and 2 or 3 pure drones. If you run multiple sets of pure parents you are more likely to get that winning combination in the first generation if you are generating 4 or 6 princesses and 8 to 12 drones than if you are only getting 1 princess and 2 drones.

Larmonade

Jul 29, 2019
What are peoples' workarounds for the climate/biome limitations? It looks like the big multi-block guy has some climate control parts to it, but the smaller single-blocks don't. Do folks usually just have a large number of bases spread way out until they can control for that more? Or is there some trick to it that I haven't caught onto yet?

Also - I'm a big fan of subterranean bases with as little as possible exposed above-ground. I see that "cave" is a genetic aspect that some bees have, and presumably that other bees can get. Is this usually a thing people do, or is my dream of an underground bee farm a silly pipe-dream?

angelnc

Jul 29, 2019
I usually try to get to the Genetic Stuff as fast as possible so I can innoculate the traits I want to have like cave-dwelling and flower pollination. With that you can set them up underground and you can acclimatize them too.

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
What are peoples' workarounds for the climate/biome limitations? It looks like the big multi-block guy has some climate control parts to it, but the smaller single-blocks don't. Do folks usually just have a large number of bases spread way out until they can control for that more? Or is there some trick to it that I haven't caught onto yet?

Also - I'm a big fan of subterranean bases with as little as possible exposed above-ground. I see that "cave" is a genetic aspect that some bees have, and presumably that other bees can get. Is this usually a thing people do, or is my dream of an underground bee farm a silly pipe-dream?

1st bees you should go for are the vanilla forestry imperial and industrious as these give you the ability to make serums (royal jelly) and alvearies (royal jelly and pollen)

For climate control I prefer the extra bees acclimatiser method: add +/-5 temp (blaze powder) and +/-2 humidity (ice blocks) to a breeding pair of bees then make some drones and use the extra bees machines to pull the serums out so you can use them on any bees that don't like normal/normal :)

You can make all your bees cave dwelling using serums

Self plug (feel free to ignore :) ): the bee specific episodes of my supplemental series which runs alongside my main unleashed let's play maybe of some use to you: link

vScourge

Jul 29, 2019
Agreed, I don't mess around with warmers or other climate control equipment for alvearies. I just went for isolating the desirable traits instead. That does take some time and a lot of breeding. I started with the Rocky species which is already nocturnal, cave-dwelling and pollinate from rock. Then added max fertility, production, lifespan, climate tolerance, etc. When I breed a new species I want I isolate that species serum and innoculate a queen/drone from my "Super Rocky" strain, and off they go.

Here's some beealyzer shots of my base species
hhdKean.png

mWXYoZI.png

Larmonade

Jul 29, 2019
Agreed, I don't mess around with warmers or other climate control equipment for alvearies. I just went for isolating the desirable traits instead. That does take some time and a lot of breeding. I started with the Rocky species which is already nocturnal, cave-dwelling and pollinate from rock. Then added max fertility, production, lifespan, climate tolerance, etc. When I breed a new species I want I isolate that species serum and innoculate a queen/drone from my "Super Rocky" strain, and off they go.

Here's some beealyzer shots of my base species
hhdKean.png

mWXYoZI.png

This sounds like what I want to do. If I've got this straight, you have a "core" species of bees that are totally awesome and low-maintenance, and when you find new bees that have desirable combs, you stick one of the new guys in the isolator until you get the "species" serum, and then inject some of your core bees with the new "species," thereby preserving all of it's awesome traits, but changing the comb they produce?

If you've got any further tips or information on how you've pulled this off (are mutations a problem? how many hives do you generally maintain? alvearies or apiaries?), I'm all ears :)

ALSO: I've been fooling around with bees in creative - I set up a full-on tier-3 lab and have been spawning stuff left and right to see if I can figure out how breeding generally works. I think I'm getting the hang of it but OH SO MANY BEES. Most of the bees aren't even particularly...useful looking? Lots of almost-a-new-breed-but-really-just-a-useless-hybrid drones and princesses...How do you folks keep your bees organized? Apiary chest? Indexer? Multiple chests? Is the ME network a bad idea?

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
This sounds like what I want to do. If I've got this straight, you have a "core" species of bees that are totally awesome and low-maintenance, and when you find new bees that have desirable combs, you stick one of the new guys in the isolator until you get the "species" serum, and then inject some of your core bees with the new "species," thereby preserving all of it's awesome traits, but changing the comb they produce?

If you've got any further tips or information on how you've pulled this off (are mutations a problem? how many hives do you generally maintain? alvearies or apiaries?), I'm all ears :)

this method is the easiest way to turn any species into a super bee, as you get bunch of drones from these kinds of princesses, you can then mass-breed these drones with other princesses to get the same type. the only thing left to do is breed a new species, which doesn't even need to be a purebred, and take the species serum. then take that species serum, and take a drone and a princess of the super bees, and mix them together and voila. the products bees produces is tied with their species, so you can't get a bee species that produces different combs from another species.

also, another big plus for using this method of breeding is that as soon as you get the species serum from a bee, you don't have to keep breeding that bee anymore, nor store the princess and the drone, as you can turn any princess or drone into this type of bee using the species serum

Larmonade

Jul 29, 2019
So how does the whole Drone/Princess -> Queen -> Drones/Princess(es) interaction work? Are the two "parents" each 50/50 responsible for the outcome breeds? Is breed A drone plus breed B princess equally likely to turn out the same thing as Breed B drone and Breed A princess? When I'm trying to get a specific breed, are drones and princesses weighted equally? If I'm using my super-bees to be the Adam and Eve of my newly isolated species, do I do both of them, just one, or do I mix a super with one of the original bees of the new species? Help me, I'm dumb.

vScourge

Jul 29, 2019

Correct. Yusunoha elaborated well on the details in his reply.

They don't need to be purebred to acquire a species serum off them. Since the isolator has a chance of killing the bee you sometimes need to run several through before you get the species serum, but it's not hard.

To mutate new species I typically use just one or two apiaries with two soul frames and one oblivion frame each. Oblivion frames come from the Thaumic (Magic) Bees mod, and cause the lifespan of the queen to shorten to a single cycle. This drastically reduces the time it takes to get new mutations. Those frames cannot be crafted (in 1.4.7 at least), however, so you have to do some adventuring to find them.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
So how does the whole Drone/Princess -> Queen -> Drones/Princess(es) interaction work? Are the two "parents" each 50/50 responsible for the outcome breeds? Is breed A drone plus breed B princess equally likely to turn out the same thing as Breed B drone and Breed A princess? When I'm trying to get a specific breed, are drones and princesses weighted equally? If I'm using my super-bees to be the Adam and Eve of my newly isolated species, do I do both of them, just one, or do I mix a super with one of the original bees of the new species? Help me, I'm dumb.
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...cifics-behind-bee-mutation.30488/#post-416339
A rather technical, but precise description of the underlying algorithm. The post after that has an example for easier understanding.

You'll probably have two types of super bees: One for mutation, one for production. For the mutations, inoculate the princess with one of the parent species (do it until it will stop on its own, so that both active and inactive allele have switched) and the drone with the other parent species (also make sure that both alleles have switched). For the production, inoculate both princess and drone with the new species (not only the queen).

Larmonade

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, so in the creative world I was trying this all out in, I came to the kind of jarring realization that ALL of the drones and princesses I've managed to produce are now Swarmers with that little [-] trait after their name.

I know that for princesses, this means that they'll eventually not produce a replacement princess - but does this actually matter for drones?