Teleporting and gates....what are the options?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I've been using Enhanced Portals for fast movement around my base and Mystcraft linking books to travel between dimensions.

I'll stick with Mystcraft for interdimensional travel because it's way faster than any other method I know, but I'm not satisfied with Enhanced Portals - while they work nicely when built and active and are modest in their power requirements, dealing with portal components often results in maddening inventory bugs (this appears to be a known issue) which can result in crashes and (rarely) world damage. So I'm looking for other options.

I have used Portal Gun, but I've experienced several cases of medium-scale terrain displacement when keeping its portals open for long, in one case resulting in the core of my base being replaced by a chunk of (mostly) stone.

I've also used IC2's teleporter at times, but this is unfeasible for maintaining a teleporting network.

EnderIO traveling blocks require an unobstructed line of sight. I rarely have that. If I had, it would be just as easy to fly over in my power suit.

I haven't tried Mekanism's teleporter since I have installed this mod only yesterday. I've read up about it and I'm concerned about the power cost. It says "1000+(10*distance) * number of entities". Does that mean it costs more if you have a lot of stuff in your inventory? In that case, it would not be feasible for my purposes since I usually have a lot of stuff in my inventory when moving around in my base.

I also know about Ars Magica portals but they require too much space.

Mystcraft's intra-linking functionality appears to have been disabled in the latest version.

And...I don't think I know of any other options. Are there others? Which mod, if any, is everyone else here using for that purpose. Is there a non-bugged version of Enhanced Portals around? That would be best.

Last edited:

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Agrarian Skies has a mod called Warp Book
it's a pretty simple teleporting mod but I like that it's so simple

one downside though seems if you warp to the nether it'll spawn a nether portal if you don't have a lit nether portal up yet
means random nether portals may start spawning everywhere

Pandemoneus

Jul 29, 2019
There are also Celestial Gateways from Thaumic Tinkerer KAMI. Once placed, you can set 10 destinations per gateway to other gateways and teleport free of charge. The only downside is that once you move the destination gateway away from the original position, you will have to adjust all other gateways that had this one as destination.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Good to know about enhanced portals. You can enable intralinking in the config if you want. Personally Id rather go with the way enhanced portals does it but you said its buggy so...I havent heard about this mekansim teleporter, must try it out.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Blood Magic has Teleposers, which can transport inventories and players. I know I've seen them used interdimensionally for inventories, but never players, so I don't know if that works. They will intra-link just fine though.

qCraft also has portals, but I've never used them.

Reactions: malicious_bloke

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Good to know about enhanced portals. You can enable intralinking in the config if you want. Personally Id rather go with the way enhanced portals does it but you said its buggy so...I havent heard about this mekansim teleporter, must try it out.
Don't take my word for it. Maybe it works better for you but I've heard other reports about this. They call it a "desync", whatever that means.

@KingTriaxx
Thanks for the info. I want to get into Blood Magic anyway.

@Pandemoneous:
Yeah, KAMI. Apparently I never met the prerequisites for even starting with this. Sometimes I wonder if it's possible at all without cheating.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Starting KAMI is relatively simple, yet also annoying. Make a Primal Wand Focus, fire a blast and quickly scan it. Make sure you've got paper and scribing tools on you. That should unlock the opening thing.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Starting KAMI is relatively simple, yet also annoying. Make a Primal Wand Focus, fire a blast and quickly scan it. Make sure you've got paper and scribing tools on you. That should unlock the opening thing.
Scan...the blast? How the hell do you do that? Anyway, thanks again. Now I have reason to rebuild my Thaumcraft stuff.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Really? As far as I know you need all other research before you can get started in KAMI.
Also, I didn't mention this before, but celestial gateways don't work between dimensions.
That was my information as well. Since that includes the "hidden" research of which I don't know, and *that* includes dealing with villagers, I had given up on ever being able to start on KAMI without cheating. It would be nice to have confirmation that the "scan the primal projectile" circumvents this requirement.

Pandemoneus

Jul 29, 2019
That was my information as well. Since that includes the "hidden" research of which I don't know, and *that* includes dealing with villagers, I had given up on ever being able to start on KAMI without cheating. It would be nice to have confirmation that the "scan the primal projectile" circumvents this requirement.

You don't have to trade with villagers.
All hidden research can be gotten without doing so.

See: http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/1zaasl/psa_the_items_you_have_to_scan_for_hidden/

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
You don't have to trade with villagers.
All hidden research can be gotten without doing so.

See: http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/1zaasl/psa_the_items_you_have_to_scan_for_hidden/
So, there is nothing you need knowledge fragments for? I have all that unlocked except two of the "tiny"s, and I'm pretty sure I've scanned enough weapons and armor.

Meanwhile, the bigger research problem I have now is that I can't pay for the research you must buy with certain aspects. People have said this makes things easier, but it actually makes things harder. With the research table, you can almost always find a path using aspects you have and minimize use of the rarer ones. I wonder if anyone has found a way to automate the deconstruction table. Creating Instrumentum and Humanus from basic aspects is taking forever.

Pandemoneus

Jul 29, 2019
So, there is nothing you need knowledge fragments for? I have all that unlocked except two of the "tiny"s, and I'm pretty sure I've scanned enough weapons and armor.

Meanwhile, the bigger research problem I have now is that I can't pay for the research you must buy with certain aspects. People have said this makes things easier, but it actually makes things harder. With the research table, you can almost always find a path using aspects you have and minimize use of the rarer ones. I wonder if anyone has found a way to automate the deconstruction table. Creating Instrumentum and Humanus from basic aspects is taking forever.

Knowledge fragments are not required, they just make life easier. ;)

Sadly, there is no way around making instrumentum from primal aspects (other than scanning all axes and shovels that you see in NEI).

Omegatron

Mar 29, 2013
England
I haven't tried Mekanism's teleporter since I have installed this mod only yesterday. I've read up about it and I'm concerned about the power cost. It says "1000+(10*distance) * number of entities". Does that mean it costs more if you have a lot of stuff in your inventory? In that case, it would not be feasible for my purposes since I usually have a lot of stuff in my inventory when moving around in my base.
I doubt the number of entities refers to your inventory. I don't know exactly how much power it takes but I don't think it is massively restrictive.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
You could make an Arcane Deconstructor and use Wooden Shovels to get Instrumentum that way.

Scanning the projectile is the only way I know that works. It might need every research, but I'm not sure.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Sadly, there is no way around making instrumentum from primal aspects (other than scanning all axes and shovels that you see in NEI).
Except for the Tinkers Construct ones.
TiCo tools, Y U NO have aspects?

I don't remember having scanned this projectile. I know that you have to scan the focus itself to unlock the Primal Staff research.

Pandemoneus

Jul 29, 2019
Except for the Tinkers Construct ones.
TiCo tools, Y U NO have aspects?

I don't remember having scanned this projectile. I know that you have to scan the focus itself to unlock the Primal Staff research.

I scanned the projectile now - I did NOT unlock the KAMI research.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Shame about the Enhanced Portals bugs.

I'm actually very interested in teleporting options myself, but I don't play with magic mods. So I hope EP gets its stuff together :p