Teleport pipes , are there any yet ?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Basically... yes, I want the forge liquid API be able to let you place liquids that are compatible with it...

Nuclear goo? Honey oceans? DNA bathtubs?

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Well, awesome, from now on I will follow TE development more closely... but I don't know where.

ps: even if it takes time, is ok for me.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
Those of you who have been following TE's development should know some things.

<jedi mind trick and hand wave>
You want to make a Drill and Chainsaw that run off of MJ.
</jedi mind trick and hand wave>

<another hand wave>
And a charging bench for the same.
</another hand wave>

Reactions: Darkblock306

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
And y'all don't even know what we're going to get in Xycraft yet.

I want that gauntlet Soaryn keeps talking about. :D

Carrington

Jul 29, 2019
No, we want it better.

TE's already the most polished mod in the pack. I just wish other modders would adopt King Lemming's UI style and general quality of life features. So much better than the old-school style of "rotate this, make sure entrance/exit are contiguous, only one redstone mode" etc.

BanzaiBlitz

Jul 29, 2019
TE's already the most polished mod in the pack. I just wish other modders would adopt King Lemming's UI style and general quality of life features. So much better than the old-school style of "rotate this, make sure entrance/exit are contiguous, only one redstone mode" etc.
Different mods are allowed to do different methods. :eek:

It's part of the fun. :D

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
for me is not fun to not be able to know how much charge there is in a battery box by numbers or coonect brass pipes to buildcraft stuff or covers on waterproof pipes/eu cables... if everything was centered on one energy system and piping it would be better...

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
Do you guys want TE to be an IC2 clone? :p

Nope. But since in my SSP world I dropped IC2 for lack of use I would like MJ based tools. I could drop in UE and it's tool pack, but then I'd be right back where I started, a separate power system for a subset of what I want to use.

Although truth be told, UE is doing it right. They're focusing on making a universal energy API for all mods to use. Instead of starting with the "won't it be cool" stuff and then thinking, "Oh, I need balance so... power?" then making up a whole new power system.

Carrington

Jul 29, 2019
Different mods are allowed to do different methods. :eek:

It's part of the fun. :D

I'm not aware of any school of game design philosophy that suggests that unintuitive interfaces provide a more enjoyable gaming experience. The reason I'm not aware of one is because that school doesn't exist.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not aware of any school of game design philosophy that suggests that unintuitive interfaces provide a more enjoyable gaming experience. The reason I'm not aware of one is because that school doesn't exist.
Having the need to pump items and liquids out, in a way that is face-sensitive, and mostly on faces that makes sense when seeing the UI for the machine...
Having a way to know what side output energy, and being able to rotate it to fit the build...

Are you saying that those are "unintuitive interfaces", and that it doesn't provide enjoyment?

Sure, I do like the TE way of choosing what side does what, but I also like to be able to only pump out the items when I want it to be pumped.
Every mod does things based on how they want their automations to work, and I see nothing wrong with having to attach a pump (redstone engine) in order to suck out the items.

I am pretty sure that the game design these days is not limited in handing everything to the player, even if we see a lot of games like that. If you enjoy having everything being the same, I suggest you only install one mod, or none at all.

I hope to have misunderstood what you said though, because it really sounded rude to the modders that use something different.

Carrington

Jul 29, 2019
Having the need to pump items and liquids out, in a way that is face-sensitive, and mostly on faces that makes sense when seeing the UI for the machine...
Having a way to know what side output energy, and being able to rotate it to fit the build...

Are you saying that those are "unintuitive interfaces", and that it doesn't provide enjoyment?

I have no idea what you're asking here. TE provides a better interface than most other mods. This is the entirety of my argument. Mods that I think are also well designed, for interactability at any rate, would include TC3 and Forestry. I could probably think of more but anyway...

Sure, I do like the TE way of choosing what side does what, but I also like to be able to only pump out the items when I want it to be pumped.

You can do this easily in TE.

Every mod does things based on how they want their automations to work, and I see nothing wrong with having to attach a pump (redstone engine) in order to suck out the items.

You're talking about functional elements, not interaction design (although I think there are some definite problems with how BC chooses to work functionally, I accept that several of these opinions are entirely subjective).

I am pretty sure that the game design these days is not limited in handing everything to the player, even if we see a lot of games like that. If you enjoy having everything being the same, I suggest you only install one mod, or none at all.

Absurd arguments don't advance the discussion so I suggest you refrain from them in the future.

I hope to have misunderstood what you said though, because it really sounded rude to the modders that use something different.

If the modders have elected to utilize interfaces that are less intuitive than TE's I don't see any reason not to inform them of that. There are objective statements that can be made about portions of game design, particularly in the area of interaction. Imagine if the RP2 sorting machine used TE's tabular interface, for instance. It would be vastly more comprehensible and enjoyable to use. RP2 doesn't need to change any functionality, but Eloraam could consider pushing the envelope more in her interfaces. If she doesn't want to, that's her choice, I'm happy to continue supporting her work (financially, even, what a concept!) because I think by and large she does an excellent job, as do most of the other modders that are part of the broader FTB ecology.

Status
Not open for further replies.