TechPack without craftable power gen

Brizzle

Jul 29, 2019
The premise is simple you need power systems and yet you can't generate it on your own. The world will have several different types of run down power generation (Coal plant, Nuclear, hydroelectric, Etc.). You will have to seek them out and build your infrastructure around it. You can play singleplayer however I'm building it with community building in mind. In my head on servers many little cities will crop up with people living in together or at least in proximity.

If you have input for this pack go ahead and suggest them here.

Reactions: OneWolfe

Brizzle

Jul 29, 2019
I idea was no, there would be structures that contain the generators(world gen). The building you could rip down and build in a design that you like. I will listen to anyone's ideas for this though.

Umbra27

Jul 29, 2019
Do you plan on having the players find their own fuel for these power plants or will it be readily available

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I idea was no, there would be structures that contain the generators(world gen). The building you could rip down and build in a design that you like. I will listen to anyone's ideas for this though.
How would you prevent players from moving generators around?
How will you handle chunkloading in the event that players play with generators dispersed everywhere?
Do you have ideas for power transmission over long distances?

Brizzle

Jul 29, 2019
How would you prevent players from moving generators around?
How will you handle chunkloading in the event that players play with generators dispersed everywhere?
Do you have ideas for power transmission over long distances?
There will be Railcraft so chunk loaders are around. As well as there will be plenty of power locations to pick from. I have not decided density yet. As for power transmission, the key here is long distances, I have no thought of that being a thing the point of uncraftable power is that you have to build infrastructure around it.

Oh and prevent players from moving generators will be done one of 2 ways, either they will drop nothing when broken or they will be made with unbreakable hardness.

Brizzle

Jul 29, 2019
Do you plan on having the players find their own fuel for these power plants or will it be readily available
You will have to feed them depending on power type. Solar farm/hydroelectric would not require you to feed them. Hydroelectric will be balanced by you needing to craft the wheels and those wheels will only generate the power when placed on the proper kinetic generator.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
There will be Railcraft so chunk loaders are around. As well as there will be plenty of power locations to pick from. I have not decided density yet. As for power transmission, the key here is long distances, I have no thought of that being a thing the point of uncraftable power is that you have to build infrastructure around it.

Oh and prevent players from moving generators will be done one of 2 ways, either they will drop nothing when broken or they will be made with unbreakable hardness.
Good stuff.

The reason I was confused is that you said players would build "infrastructure" around the generators. Don't confuse this with "consumers". Infrastructure in this context would be stuff that is directly related to the generation and/or transmission of power.
  • A quarry is not infrastructure.
  • A Buildcraft laser array is not infrastructure.
  • Energy pipes are infrastructure.
  • An MFR harvester in a biofuel operation could be considered infrastructure.
Now I think I understand you better: if players want to build an expensive laser array, they'll be encouraged to build that consumer near an appropriate generation facility. This is an interesting pack motif.

Brizzle

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any thoughts that i should not wait for 1.8.9 and just port it there later?

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
You are going to be waiting anyway. A lot of mechanics are being tweaked for the COFH suite of mods. Also is there even a mod tweaker available to give you what you need for your idea.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Brizzle

Jul 29, 2019
You are going to be waiting anyway. A lot of mechanics are being tweaked for the COFH suite of mods. Also is there even a mod tweaker available to give you what you need for your idea.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Yup Jared has released a mod tweaker also i have no need for Cody

fingerofgod23

Jul 29, 2019
Wait, so are you not going to wait for 1.8.9 or are you? Would definitely give this pack a shot however:

In my head on servers many little cities will crop up with people living in together or at least in proximity.
What if you had different tiers for said structures? As in, to support different amounts of players. Actually in my head I feel like you already planned that, but what do I know? This also sounds like a breeding ground for faction servers but I suppose that's really up to individual server owners.
Anyways, this looks good, will be keeping an eye out for this. Do you have a name for it yet?

Brizzle

Jul 29, 2019
Name I do not. And waiting, hmmmm I really don't know. I'm getting sort of impatient, but I be the second I finish all the mods I need will be released