[TC] Ultimate Tool Setup

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Zerro

Jul 29, 2019
Greetings,

I was wondering what materials I should use to make the best Tinker Construct tools?

So far I'm guessing Paper Binding and Manyllum/Cobalt heads but I want to hear from the experts.

buncheesy

Jul 29, 2019
I have just gone through a similar exercise:

what I found out and built:
cobalt head is all you need for speed and end tier mining
paper binding (cobalt plates for hammer)
Thaumium handle to give an extra modifier

With your pick, add a diamond+gold block for an extra modifier (6 in total). Use 3 modifiers on redstone, 1 on hardened flux capacitor, 1 max lapis lazuli and maybe autosmelting with a TC lava crystal. I am still getting the bits for a lava crystal. it apparently averages 2.5 ingots per block with max lapis on the tool.

With the Hammer and excavator just redstone and leadstone cell.

I have found the pick especially to be insanely fast. I am using tinkers construct gloves with max redstone. I would strongly encourage you to use these. The net result is that my pick is probably much faster than I want. As if I just touch rock/ore 3 to 4 blocks go so its hard to control. The other issue is they are a bit light in durability, which is depandant on materials despite being powered. Final durability, without looking it up, depends on the handle modifier as well as the head/plates and thaumium is x1.3 rather than the 1.75? for Manyullin.

So if you are using the gloves I think you can afford to go a Manyullin handle for the extra durability. Maybe even a manyullin head for durability if max speed isn't the issue.

In past TiCo additions it was possible to wear down the tool if using Manyullin before putting on the power cell to get max stonebound trait increasing durability when adding the cell by a significant amount. I think in recent versions of TiCo this has been disabled but I could be wrong?

Manyullin is best for swords I hear but I am yet to build TiCo weapons.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Manyullin is best for swords I hear but I am yet to build TiCo weapons.
Man, you're missing out. :p
Manyullyn is the best TiCon material for swords, I think, but depending on which other mods you have, Steel is equivalent and Shiny from TE is either equal or better. Similarly, if you don't want to use Cobalt, Electrum is actually faster (although it can't mine nether ores, so you'll need either a separate pick or, if you're using IgTweaks, you'll need to level it up).

Shattered box

Jul 29, 2019
hopefully you will find this helpful if you have extra tic. If you get a signalyium (I think that's how you spell it) longbow with a paper plate and a hardened capacitor. Then enderium arrows (expensive but worth it) maxed with quartz you can get 125 damage and a 0.25 second! reload time pre Redstone (really unnecessary with something this quick)

Another tip that you might find interesting is the way that tool and weapon parts work, this is very different on tools to weapons so we will start with tools.

The way that the durability of a tool is worked out is the head and any plates averaged and then multiplied by the handle modifier.

The mining level is determined by the head ALONE (besides the diamond modifier, which adds 500 durability and raises the mining level to obsidian)

This means that if you have a head made of a good mining level material such as manyllyn and 2 bedrockium plates your durability should be very high on a tool that has a high mining level

Also the binding has no effect on anything except from modifiers so try to always have one that provides additional modifiers (such as paper).

Now weapon parts, most weapons will just be made of a guard, handle and blade making them very self explanatory, however I do have some helpful observations about longbows. The plate on a longbow has no impact on anything except from looks and modifiers so don't bother putting on a fancy bedrockium plate instead just use a paper (or any other that provides an extra modifier). Apart from that I haven't done much testing so my advice would just be an enderium sword, as that has very high damage (but quite end game).

When it comes to modifiers it really depends on the tool/weapon and how fast it is whether you have miners gloves etc. But keep in mind a few useful tips the extra modifier upgrades are great and they are as follows:
a diamond and a gold block,
a diamond block and a notch apple (enchanted looking one),
and finally a nether star (wither boss drop)
all of these are only usable once so they are of course not stackable. Also if you want extra durability add a capacitor (they are awesome) or an emerald (very very good if your tool already has high durability because of bedrockium plates (of other high durability tool parts) because it adds 50% of the tools durability). However bear in mind that the emerald modifier does not add 50% of other modifiers added durability, meaning that a capacitors capacity, a diamonds added 500 durability and modifier adding upgrades do not get more respective modification, in addition the emerald is only usable once. Finally if you want to put a capacitor on your tool then you will have to have a power source and an energetic infuser to power it otherwise it is just a big paper weight.

God that took a long time to write I hope it helped and I might be making a whole thread dedicated to in depth guide like this.

Last edited:

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
Man, you're missing out. :p
Manyullyn is the best TiCon material for swords, I think, but depending on which other mods you have, Steel is equivalent and Shiny from TE is either equal or better. Similarly, if you don't want to use Cobalt, Electrum is actually faster (although it can't mine nether ores, so you'll need either a separate pick or, if you're using IgTweaks, you'll need to level it up).

Shiny has more attack than manalyn, however enderium blades have nearly twice as much.

To the OP. Use NEI to research the different materials TiCo will use and their attributes.

Zerro

Jul 29, 2019
Hey I was wondering, what happens if you put two different materials in for the head of the Hammer?

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
Hey I was wondering, what happens if you put two different materials in for the head of the Hammer?
How would you do that? You can't pour disimilar materials in with each other. You can only do this if you make an allowed alloy recipe such as manulyn or invar etc.then pour that into the mold.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
How would you do that? You can't pour disimilar materials in with each other. You can only do this if you make an allowed alloy recipe such as manulyn or invar etc.then pour that into the mold.

I think they were referring to using two different plates on the hammer head.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Only the hammer head part affects mining level and repair material but mining speed, overall durability and attack damage (if anyone even cares about that, the whole bonus smite thing is kind of worthless tbh) get averaged between the two plates and the hammer head.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Master_Builder_800

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure, I was playing on a server and someone saw me use it on my pick, so they told me that. I later went and tested it and sure enough it was WAY faster. My new combo is cobalt binding and head, and thaumium rod, for the durability, extra modifier, and speed

InThayne

Oct 14, 2013
Funny how things have changed. Returning player here...not one mention of slime (especially blue for durability) rods for handles. And now paper is out for a binding.

Reactions: RamblinWreckGT

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Are you playing with Iguana Tinker's Tweaks? Is that why paper binding is bad for you?