Tank: Open Block or Railcraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Taiine

Jul 29, 2019
I really only use open blocks for two things.
1. As a water source for the sprinkler.
2. As a lava transporter for when I'm traveling/caving so I can use it as fuel for my Tink Construct smeltery.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I'm supprised no one has mentioned Dynamic Tanks. I have heard they are far less laggy and more powerful than Open Blocks tanks. The ability to hold more than one fluid in the same tank seems impressive, plus you can build in any crazy shape you want. However, I have had a few issues with crashing when attaching a controller with fluids saved inside to a tank.

I'm actually surprised with that aswell. I'd have gone with Dynamic Tanks aswell, as those are less laggy, can be used in all kinds of shapes and forms, and can be camouflaged, similar to how XYcraft tanks looked like

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I've always used RC tanks- they've been fairly reliable; and I like the way they only drain out the bottom blocks.
As well as base dimensions only being certain sizes- the building design process can become quite involved; instead of whacking down an omnitank of universal size.​

Side note - If you want highest fluid density (buckets/block of space used)
Liquid transposer into wooden bucket/forestry cans or capsules (or any cheapo liquid holder), then stack up in a traditional barrel or AE drive?​

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
OB tanks are essentially cooler looking, and more customizable, BuildCraft tanks.
Each block stores 16 buckets of a liquid, which is really small.

I'd say make either Iron or Steel Tanks, just because they are much, much bigger in terms of storage.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I usually use railcraft tanks as well. But, don't forget the resonate portable tank from TE3. They hold 64 buckets each and can be stacked into a tower.

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Dynamic Tanks FTW, use drums for transport and IF you need to use buildcraft gates just attach a fluiduct to the tank wich pumps into an Open block one that is 1x1x(any height you want) so it doesnt lag you.. I got serious tps problems when using big Open Block tanks, but if they are a column i have none :D

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
Another strong contender i've come across recently is HPT (High Pressure Tanks). I will follow its development closely as i can see those as a late game replacement for RaC iron/steel tanks.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
I just noticed nobody mentioned Mekanism's dynamic tanks here.
I don't know how much more laggy they are than Railcraft's ones, but they seem to work about the same way.

Not_Steve

Over-Achiever
Oct 11, 2013
I just noticed nobody mentioned Mekanism's dynamic tanks here.
I don't know how much more laggy they are than Railcraft's ones, but they seem to work about the same way.
They weren't mentioned because the thread is rc vs ob. But as long as I'm here they store SIGNIFICANTLY more fluid per block.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

meuqsaco

Jul 29, 2019
Don't use big groups of openblocks tanks. They are very server unfriendly. Line mentioned, drums are a very good alternative.

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
Normally I use RC steel tanks. They hold a lot more and their are a known size -- this makes base planning MUCH easier.

I tried an openblocks tank once, but it was too laggy for my tastes. plus the inability to fill buckets from it was major turnoff.
Drums are great for early-mid game portable storage, and for powering quarries.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Another strong contender i've come across recently is HPT (High Pressure Tanks). I will follow its development closely as i can see those as a late game replacement for RaC iron/steel tanks.
Hmmrrphh... High pressure LIQUID tanks? Right... :p
But I guess I cant throw the "flawed physics" card when we are talking about tanks already holding 16 or 32 cubic meters of liquid per cubic meter :p

(And yes I know that there are some compressible fluids, but most of those we would ever store are not :p)

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmrrphh... High pressure LIQUID tanks? Right... :p
But I guess I cant throw the "flawed physics" card when we are talking about tanks already holding 16 or 32 cubic meters of liquid per cubic meter :p

(And yes I know that there are some compressible fluids, but most of those we would ever store are not :p)
Wasn't my idea for the mod name :p
And the flawed physics have been in since Buildcraft with the simple tank which holds 16 Buckets :p (on another note: A bucket capable of holding one m³ of water is BIG and likely not something one can carry.... so yeah minecraft physics)
BTW from the thread:
High Pressure Tanks (HPT) is a Minecraft mod that adds multiblock-tanks which can store fluids under high pressure.
So technically he is correct as air and other gases are described as fluids in engineering and those are compressible. On the other hand the tanks store liquids which are incompressible(yeah i know all real liquids have some sort of compressibility but it's so small that one could argue it doesn't matter except for special cases). So meh i won't care too much and enjoy playing MC.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
As long as people are tossing in hats from other mods, how about extracells? I can store billions of buckets in a single block and its already part of the autocrafting system at that point too. Just have to be careful, fuels will lose efficiency when moved in and out of the AE system.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Speaking of Xycraft tanks .... what happened to Xycraft anyways?

Faded into the twilight after Ultimate? I know it had a love / hate relationship with many players, but had some neat features that I liked (gief dat fabricator back!)

Official site contains nothing above 1.4.x, so I guess development stopped?