Take a jungle down

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
Hey,

so I wanted to build in a jungle because I love the green grass. The only problem is that it would take me ages to cut all the trees down. I thought about flint & steel, but are there any better ways in FTB? (Using MindCrack Pack)

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm thought about that, but wouldn't it destroy like a big chunk of other biomes around the jungle aswell?

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
Wrath igniter.

Only problem with that is the dumb red power rubber trees that do not burn. I am building in a jungle as well and those trees are the bane of my existence as not even the axe of the stream works on them. Only way to take care of them is chopping them down block by block or using a turtle. In addition if you do not care about collecting the wood then a filler on clear would work wonders.

Edit - Just thought of something, you could use the wand of equal trade to turn the trees to sand or gravel and then recollect it with a shovel.

CapturetheBomb

Jul 29, 2019
Hey,

so I wanted to build in a jungle because I love the green grass. The only problem is that it would take me ages to cut all the trees down. I thought about flint & steel, but are there any better ways in FTB? (Using MindCrack Pack)

Axe of the Stream works wonders if you have the research done. Put repair on it and you are set.

Reactions: Saice

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Only problem with that is the dumb red power rubber trees that do not burn. I am building in a jungle as well and those trees are the bane of my existence as not even the axe of the stream works on them. Only way to take care of them is chopping them down block by block or using a turtle. In addition if you do not care about collecting the wood then a filler on clear would work wonders.

Can Flint & Steel take out a good chunk of 'em?

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
Can Flint & Steel take out a good chunk of 'em?

The wood and leaves of the red power rubber trees cannot burn and the trees are very common in jungles. So you can burn down the rest of the jungle but will be left with these trees.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Edit - Just thought of something, you could use the wand of equal trade to turn the trees to sand or gravel and then recollect it with a shovel.

Rather than sand or gravel you could use saplings with the wand of equal trade.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
I cleared some jungle way back when I just played vanilla using flint and steel. I gave up after about 10 trees. You end up with bits of jungle wood in the air and suddenly the durability on flint and steel doesn't seem like a lot. In the end I installed a mod called timber (I think there is another similar one called treecapitator) which makes short work of a jungle. I set the command /gamerule doTileDrops false as well to stop tons of jungle wood falling and lagging up the place. I add mods to the game myself so I don't know if you get timber on any of the actual packs but I am pretty sure you can add mods to packs yourself can't you? If not, wrath igniter, filler or axe of the stream are all great suggestions made already. (I wish there was a config in redpower to turn off those rubber trees - that mod doesn't even use rubber!)

Quesenek

Jul 29, 2019
Axe of the stream for everything but the rubber trees and manually chop down the rubber trees. Either manually or maybe use a quarry with lava at the base of the tree to stop the quarry from digging.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
The latest version of MPS has that as a function. Another possible remedy is to use and MFR harvester. Without the upgrades that were added in more recent versions it would take a fair amount of moving around, but with that and a redstone energy cell you could take out the jungle a few trees at a time. It probably doesn't work with RP2 rubber trees though.

Of course as was mentioned before you can use a wrath igniter. It has a somewhat limited radius and can clear a large amount of land with a single click, but you could end up with a few floating blocks as well.

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
Oh totaly forgot about meadows lol.
@Daemonblue, it's mindcrack, so no mps or mfr

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
I'd recommend Forestry logger and energy cell. It doesn't take all branches of rubber tree from ground, but overall works great for clearing out trees. It has square area of effect, 21x21 centered on it.

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
Flint and steel and wrath igniters might not be a good idea. It'll take a long time.

In 1.4.7 they changed how fire works so it burns out really fast and it can't spread as much as it used to. Thus, it's only good for traps or decoration.

Wrath igniters will burn up quickly because it's one use per tree. Not that they're hard to make, but spending diamond blocks to burn down trees isn't too efficient.

Turtles are a good choice, and you can also use TNT to blow the trees up.

You can also get a high potency enchant on the wand of digging from TC3 and just destroy everything.

You can also have the wand of equal trade with a high potency enchant transmute logs and leaves into ferns or tall grass. The ferns/tall grass will be destroyed instantly, and your inventory will be filled to the brim with saplings and logs.

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
Set up a filler in the 'clear' mode, 64x64 box or as tall as needed to reach the top of the trees. Hook up a REC on max power output = job done in minutes.

Or find a meadows biome if you want a flat bright green area. You could also go to a rainforest with the redwood trees and clear some of those as that's the same bright green grass. The backdrop is nice there too, so long as your graphics card can handle all the leaves without spazzing out.

Reactions: RedBoss

Dackstrus

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm thought about that, but wouldn't it destroy like a big chunk of other biomes around the jungle aswell?

It does'nt destroy anything that's not burnable. And it'll only turn grass into dirt untill it can regrow.

It's my favorate way of clearing myself a spot in a jungle. Just make sure you click in a few different spots before running.

Oh, and the fire will stop at a certain point, it won't just burn and burn till nothing is left anywhere. Wrathfire will only burn outward from the spot you click a couple chunks then stop.