System crash/world leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legato

Jul 29, 2019
So, more problems. Recently, FTB has made my computer crash. I suspect it's due to world leaking. I've seen fixes for Windows & Mac, but since I'm using Linux/Ubuntu (12.10), it doesn't really help me. Anyway, anyone have any ideas? The full log is here http://pastebin.com/YcJ1gma3, and the portions I suspect may be relevant can be found here http://pastebin.com/7rRy3Hdg. If anyone has any ideas for solutions, I would really appreciate it. It's quite annoying to have to restart all the time, plus it seems like it occasionally breaks saves.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I use Lubuntu 12.10 and I have world leaks regularly, but I have no problems with my computer crashing. Could you post your computer stats? If you overclocked it, post that too.

Azgult

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not 100% certain, but I think that the actual cause is this:

Code:
2013-03-09 21:24:29 [INFO] [STDERR] java.io.EOFException
2013-03-09 21:24:29 [INFO] [STDERR] at java.util.zip.GZIPInputStream.readUByte(Unknown Source)

I'm not entirely sure, but it looks like it tried to load a corrupted chunk or something; the EOFException means that the ZIP file it was trying to read ended unexpectedly... It could also be that it didn't read the file properly, although in that case it should have really been an IOException...

I'm not entirely sure, but the leaking worlds thing looks like it might be a harmless sideeffect of minecraft shutting down anyway (notice that it says "saving chunks" before it). What bugs me though is that I see no reason for this to cause a computer crash...

I do have one somewhat far-fetched theory; you may like to run a memory test on your computer. I had a problem with my RAM once which causes random crashes for no apparent reason. Memory corruption could also trigger the EOFException, although I'm just guessing here.

Legato

Jul 29, 2019
I use Lubuntu 12.10 and I have world leaks regularly, but I have no problems with my computer crashing. Could you post your computer stats? If you overclocked it, post that too.
Sure. I'm not that good with hardware though, but I hope this will be enough information.
Ubuntu 12.10 (32 bit)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz
4 Gib RAM
GeForce 8600 GTS
As for Java, right now I'm running OpenJDK 7, but I have tried it with the official Java 7 to, and it's the same.

I'm not 100% certain, but I think that the actual cause is this:

Code:
2013-03-09 21:24:29 [INFO] [STDERR] java.io.EOFException
2013-03-09 21:24:29 [INFO] [STDERR] at java.util.zip.GZIPInputStream.readUByte(Unknown Source)

I'm not entirely sure, but it looks like it tried to load a corrupted chunk or something; the EOFException means that the ZIP file it was trying to read ended unexpectedly... It could also be that it didn't read the file properly, although in that case it should have really been an IOException...

I'm not entirely sure, but the leaking worlds thing looks like it might be a harmless sideeffect of minecraft shutting down anyway (notice that it says "saving chunks" before it). What bugs me though is that I see no reason for this to cause a computer crash...

I do have one somewhat far-fetched theory; you may like to run a memory test on your computer. I had a problem with my RAM once which causes random crashes for no apparent reason. Memory corruption could also trigger the EOFException, although I'm just guessing here.

That... was a lot of errors o_O Over 2000000 errors with memtest86 seems a bit unreasonable though...

Azgult

Jul 29, 2019
Yep. That's definitely unreasonable. I'd suggest you get yourself some new RAM, because RAM corruption can easily crash your computer at essentially any time for no reason whatsoever. When I had it literally everything was acting buggy. If you've still got warranty it should cover that, but you definately want your RAM replaced one way or another.

Memtests should typically have no errors whatsoever. When I had RAM error memtest actually only showed it sometimes.

Legato

Jul 29, 2019
Hm, I guess it's worth a try, I could use some anyway... still, isn't it pretty odd that it's only FTB that causes it? I would have thought that, as you say, everything would be a bit buggy, no?

Azgult

Jul 29, 2019
True, that's odd and who knows, it may be completely unrelated. Although that is one of the strangest errors I've seen in a while...

Legato

Jul 29, 2019
It actually stopped doing it for a while after I did the memory check, but the problem is back. I will admit, this is not my strong suit and I'm fairly confused (and a bit annoyed) ><

Status
Not open for further replies.