Support site/forum

Which medium should we use for support?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
So now everyone has had chance to use both the support site and the tech support forums I would like to know which one we should continue to use from here on in. Please only vote if you have used both thanks :)

• Obviously the support site will be improved if its kept but please vote on the concept.
  • I would like to keep support in one place but I have added both as an option incase that is the best idea in others opinions but I honestly think that would split the support up too much
Thanks
Captainnana

Reactions: Chakyl

beringtom

Jul 29, 2019
I like the support site style, i just don't like the current system in use.
only registered members should be able to post "tickets".
It seems that anonymous people forgets to answer back and report if the problem was solved, so there was a lot of double posts :)

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
I responded "Forums" but if an actual account bridge were implemented that would remove a major objection of mine. Thanks for the note. =)
That is something I have planned I just don't want to spend time doing it if its not going to be used

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
I prefer both. Some people prefer that style, whereas others (like myself) prefer the forums.
But if I had to choose one, I'd go with the forums :)

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
I did vote for another medium: Mantis

If it has to be one or the other i would say the new support site. Having 2 systems is hard to keep track of.

Kaffefilter

Jul 29, 2019
I voted forums, since I find that alot easyer to find solutions faster.
If it could be made possible to add a prefix to the topic like, ie. bug, launcher etc. would make it nearly perfect for which I find the best.

CTMiner

Jul 29, 2019
I like the forums better, and in my opinion, for the support site to work the best, it would basically have to be a forum.

TheSandwichMakr

Jul 29, 2019
I like the forums mainly because I like everything in one place and the forum system is a bit more advanced, however it would be nice if some sort of form was implemented that required enough information before the request could be posted.

Reactions: Ashzification

btocoolman

Jul 29, 2019
I still can't access the support site, it just loads for a while with a blank screen and then says that it can't connect.
I've used safari and chrome and i get the same problem on both.

alely

Jul 29, 2019
I think that we won't see the TRUE usefulness of the support website because not everyone focuses there. Also there needs to be a sorting law like: Always tag it with the proper tag!

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
In my opinion I think the forums are the best, it makes it easier for us to answer anyone that needs help, because on the forums people tend to respond back.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Like it or not most come to the forums with a problem, don't bother to search, don't bother to read stickies and just post anyway, so with that in mind you may as well use the forums.

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
I voted for both with the following idea (someone else may have come up with some of these ideas before me, I'm just putting it all together):
  1. Leave the Support Forum as the main and sole option when requesting support.
  2. If possible, make it so a user must fill out a form upon the creation of a new thread within the forums, this way even if they do not read the stickies it will obligate them to insert at least some of the required information (less clean up work for mods).
  3. Create a new staff group called Support Group. These are users that have shown an interest in helping others, are knowledgeable with common issues, know basic troubleshooting, and are active members of the community (you may choose whichever requirements they must have of course, this is just an idea). These users would be the ones mainly responsible for answering support questions and reviewing the support forums (although everyone would still be able to help of course!). This group would have no moderation or administrative responsibilities. They would have one more important responsibility though, see next point.
  4. Leave the support site but restrict the addition of new threads and editing to the Support Group. The site would function as a depository of previous problems and their solutions. Support Staff would add new Problem & Solution threads after an active support thread within the forums has been answered and resolved.
The advantages are:

1. By naming a Support Group you have a core group of users that you know can be counted upon to respond timely, correctly, and responsibly. Less work on the rest of the staff.
  2. You are still allowing regular users to assist and therefore have a pool from where to 'recruit' from towards the Support Group.
  3. Having a Support Group allows the rest of the staff to focus more on their individual responsibilities, perhaps you can add a sub-forum visible to only Support Group members where they can post threads to be escalated to other staff based on the issue (Site Administrations, Launcher Staff, Mod Pack staff, etc...)
  4. You will be able to maintain a Problem & Solutions depository that will be ever expanding, be always professionally organized (since only Support Group can edit it) and therefore easy to search for users.
  5. Users can find solutions to their problems easily in the Support Site without even having to register for an account anywhere.
  6. Less support threads, more organization, which allows staff to concentrate on true bugs and problems and not just answering previously resolved problems or dealing with useless posts (or at least not as much as now).
This seems like a bit more work in the beginning, but pays off in the long run, especially as FTB grows in popularity and future mod packs are released.

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
Leave the support site but restrict the addition of new threads and editing to the Support Group. The site would function as a depository of previous problems and their solutions. Support Staff would add new Problem & Solution threads after an active support thread within the forums has been answered and resolved.
I really like this idea, this way users that just come straight to the forum are given an FAQ style page where they will probably find the answer to their question if not then they can go to the support site where more answers would be suggested as they type their question if they dont find an answer there they can make a question and if that pops up a lot we can add it to the FAQ to prevent it been asked again :)

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
Also, after reviewing the forums I had the following suggestions:

Move the forums Tech Support, The Mod Pack Bugs, Support Site link, and perhaps the Server Tech Support into a new category titled Tech Support Area. This way you organize all support related forums under one category, easier to find for new users.

Lastly, rename the forums:

Tech Support to FTB Launcher Tech Support
The Mod Pack Bugs to FTB Mod Packs Tech Support (you can have users specify which mod pack they are experiencing problems with within their threads).
Support Site to Common Problems & Solutions Depository (with a comment that states: Check here first!)
Server Tech Support can remain as is.
Perhaps add a new forum titled Web/Forum Tech Support.

PS: I know this isn't what is being asked in the OP, but just an idea :D

Status
Not open for further replies.