Suggest some fun, big, complex projects to keep a world interesting

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Arbitrary

Jul 29, 2019
I like having projects to build, especially when I get past the stage where I need to go down into the earth to gather resources. Once I have my power sorted and my inventory management sorted (literally) I tend to get bored.

I'll update my OP with a list of suggestions so others can have a checklist to push away the boredom as well.

1) automated forestry tree farm -> charcoal processing -> steam boiler -> lots of power with no maintenance
2) Automate everything with ComputerCraft
3) Research and create everything in Thaumcraft
4) T5 Spawners for all mobs
5) Use Extra Utilities to create an auto-compressing cobble storage system
6) Use Jailer's Safari Nets to capture one of each creature and build a zoo

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Spaceship?
Automate everything using CC?
Research and create everything in Thaumcraft?
Pirate ship
Boilers
T5 Spawners for all the mobs!
Shoop's Ideas for projects

A note from the shoop. I do not have any sort of collect all the X or any of that in this list as those are fairly simple and hopefully you don't need someone to tell you collecting one of every bee could be a project.

Idea (mods needed)

Build a working frame ship (RP2)
Create a deep sea oil rig like a real world one (IC2)
Find a village and then expand and rebuild it into a large 100+ population themed city (any)
Create a all in one mega factory that creates as many products as possible (any and many needed)
Take over a lich's castle and retrofit it to be your new HQ (TF)
Craft a dungeon complete with traps and invite your server friends over and ask them to beat it (any)
Create a zombified villager rehab clinic (any)
Build a world tree by hand (any)
Build a mob classic style mob spawner system (any) Bonus create a mod sorting system to go with it
Build a functional subway system with stations on your server (any but RC and SC help tons)
Build a nuclear reactor (IC2/GT) Bonus make it look like a real world one.
Create a wind farm (RP2/IC2) bonus points for style if you use Red Power windmills.
Create a canal system complete with ports and boat docks/launchers (any)
Build a player lunching system that sends the player as far as possible but lets them land safely (any)
On your server build a public post office system using your interdimensional item moving of choice (multiple mod choices for this one)
Build a HUB for your projects or for your server community (any)
Create an obstacles course have your friends try and beat each others times (any)
Recreate your favorite landmark of choice (any)
Build something overly complex to do something simple like make a shovel(as many as you can)
Build a base some place you have not done before that has its own issues. Under the sea, in the end, on a neither lake, or anyplace harsh and possibly dangerous to you. (any)
Make life hard on yourself pick a mod and then use the worst possible way use it. IE GT but use RP as your main power choice (any)
Do a Lets play. (any)
Remove your favorite mod and then try and repair the damage and get your systems working again with the missing parts redesigned using what you now have avable (any)
Killing spree... throw all your gear in a chest and grab a stone sword. See how many kills you can rack up before you die or your weapon breaks. (any)
Create a tower of Babel. Build a tower to world hight limit but each layer needs to be bigger then the one above. (any) bonus if your start from bedrock. Extra bonus if you hollow it out and build your base inside.
Minimalize yourself. Go for as long as you can stand with just what you can carry on you. You can make bags and packs and the such. Build machines and all that but you can not stay anywhere for more then 2 MC Days and then pack up what you can and your have to move. (any)
Create a Mobile base (RP2) bonus if you can make it fully featured like a stationary base.
Build a music player (any) bonus if you have selectable songs other then the MC music discs.
Build a rollercoaster. (any)

Arbitrary

Jul 29, 2019
So, for the nuclear reactor one - I always have my power sorted by the time I can start working with nuclear - I guess I don't know what else to do with the power so I don't go forward with that. That's one of my issues with GT, which I enjoyed - once I finally get to the point where I can quarry, I don't have a ton left to do with the materials.

Really, though, I don't need this list - my list can be comprised of taking one mod at a time and learning it well enough to one-up one of Direwolf20's mod spotlights.

If RP2 ever becomes part of a modern pack again I'll definitely get into frames. That's awesome. I would build a mobile offshore drilling platform so I can go from geyser to geyser.

Taking lava-from-nether power off the table has made my latest Unleashed run-through so much more fun. It's what led to my fun with forestry and railcraft boilers. Also, Tinker's Construct makes early game so fun with NO power at all. I went a long way with no energy production.

Arbitrary

Jul 29, 2019
IF you're in a pack with extra utilities, build a factory for octuple compressed cobblestone.

I have thought about that! I've been thinking of having all cobble enter my AE network through a subnet where I compress all cobble as far as it can go and having the main system have crafting recipes to create cobble when I need it - this actually will be a fun logic problem to keep cobble available but as compressed as possible. For example, if you wait for the octuple compressed cobble before putting it back in main inventory, you could wait a very long time to get one. good suggestion.

TangentialThreat

Jul 29, 2019
When I get bored I start designing superweapons and overly elaborate traps.

Nothing is more rewarding than a Mystcraft cannon that can dig a hole halfway to bedrock in seconds. NOTHING. Except maybe if it used nuke spam instead of TNT.

So, breed yourself some uranium bees and get to it.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Fill a DSU with octuple compressed cobbles?

Funnily enough I have far more jungle wood logs and charcoal than anything, even if I weren't recycling cobble.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
XyCraft fabricators would be freaking handy for an octuple compressed cobble factory.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
what`s up with those fabricators everyone is talking about?
They were energy-free automatic crafting tables which could see other inventories - so you could output stuff into a chest and when it was ready it would work. That also included stuff like Carpenters and Compressors. They were excelent for small factories, such as automatic creation of rails and advanced machine blocks. I want XyCraft back, it had so much useful stuff... At the same time, it's no TE or MFR.

dwappo

Jul 29, 2019
They were energy-free automatic crafting tables which could see other inventories - so you could output stuff into a chest and when it was ready it would work. That also included stuff like Carpenters and Compressors. They were excelent for small factories, such as automatic creation of rails and advanced machine blocks. I want XyCraft back, it had so much useful stuff... At the same time, it's no TE or MFR.
It's also no AE lol. But I do agree it has nice stuff.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
It's also no AE lol. But I do agree it has nice stuff.
AE's overrated. It's good and bad at the same time. I really don't think it's the "universal sorting mod" people say it is.
TiC would be a better example. IMO, at least.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Biomass tree farm, no fertilizers.

Biomass -> biofuel.

Biofuel -> Combustion engine

MJ -> lava

Lava -> thermal gens.

Infinitely scalable.

dwappo

Jul 29, 2019
AE's overrated. It's good and bad at the same time. I really don't think it's the "universal sorting mod" people say it is.
TiC would be a better example. IMO, at least.
Nah I didn't mean for sorting, but for crafting purposes it's pretty cool how you can automate all kinds of stuff.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
If you're playing 1.5, use the Jailer Net to make a zoo. Gotta make sure to include really exotic and hard-to-capture stuff like giant pink slimes, minoshrooms, wraiths, nitro creepers, and endermen.