Suggest a pack for me?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Jack909

Jul 29, 2019
Hey,

Am looking for a medium all tech mod pack, suggestions please?

Also, I have a pretty mid-range pc (in my opinion) but with some packs, I get intense lag even with increased RAM to like 5gb. Specs: i5 6500 3.20ghz 16gb ddr4 ram and 1050ti gfx but still get bad lag at times on lowest settings. Any suggestions about that too, feel like it shouldn't be as bad as it is with those specs. Always update everything drivers etc so I've no idea.

Thanks!

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
So, when you say “medium”, what do you mean? Would something like Age of Engineering, which has no quests but has a progression and an end point, suit?

Jack909

Jul 29, 2019
So, when you say “medium”, what do you mean? Would something like Age of Engineering, which has no quests but has a progression and an end point, suit?

Yeah, something like AoE, maybe with quests. I tried AoE before and got bored because of all the work you have to do for it. I might give that one a go again.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Automaton, a pack I keep recommending because it deserves more attention. Pure tech, with a questline. None of the IE recipes seem different, but AE's had a few changed that will require IE, but they're arranged such that you're guaranteed to have them before you really need to start AE. Does need a manual update to IE if you want to use the Mining Drill, because the version that comes with has the drill broken, but other than that it's awesome. No flight at all, except for Viescraft airships. It's the first pack I've ever played that's got me riding around on a horse.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
I am playing Sevtech and I think it is the best pack to release in years. It is a quest pack with gated items/technologies based on "ages" such as stone, bronze, etc. It is very frustrating learning new mods again but I remind myself that this is what I love about MC. I am addicted all over again.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I am playing Sevtech and I think it is the best pack to release in years. It is a quest pack with gated items/technologies based on "ages" such as stone, bronze, etc. It is very frustrating learning new mods again but I remind myself that this is what I love about MC. I am addicted all over again.
I’m gonna have to look up SevTech because there’s a LOT of buzz about it!

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
@GamerwithnoGame SevTech is not an easy pack by any means. I consider myself a tech builder (mods like BC, IC, EIO, DE, etc) and right off the bat you start in a sub-technological age. I had never used primalcraft before but found it to be very satisfying. The tutorial age takes you from stone tools to just before the bronze age. In Age 1, you have to learn to use Geosology and Prospecting mods to locate and hunt up tin and copper to make bronze but what makes it very unique is you cannot find those ores until you progress to Age 1 and discover how to prospect for it. In Age 1 you also begin Blood Magic and Abysalcraft as well as rudimentary ore/alloy smelting. This is as far as I've gotten, but at the end, Galacticraft appears to take the spotlight.

In many ways it is an HQM with gated technology like expert mode. I definitely recommend the pack.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
Hey,

...I get intense lag even with increased RAM to like 5gb. Specs: i5 6500 3.20ghz 16gb ddr4 ram and 1050ti gfx but still get bad lag at times on lowest settings.

Thanks!

Any 1.10+ pack should have a minimum of 6gb ram allocated to it, 8-10gb preferred. Another thing you can try is getting a program that allows you to manually assign core dependencies like Bill2 Process Manager. I use it and set all of my games to high priority and turn on all cores and hyperthread cores. It makes a difference.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
@GamerwithnoGame SevTech is not an easy pack by any means. I consider myself a tech builder (mods like BC, IC, EIO, DE, etc) and right off the bat you start in a sub-technological age. I had never used primalcraft before but found it to be very satisfying. The tutorial age takes you from stone tools to just before the bronze age. In Age 1, you have to learn to use Geosology and Prospecting mods to locate and hunt up tin and copper to make bronze but what makes it very unique is you cannot find those ores until you progress to Age 1 and discover how to prospect for it. In Age 1 you also begin Blood Magic and Abysalcraft as well as rudimentary ore/alloy smelting. This is as far as I've gotten, but at the end, Galacticraft appears to take the spotlight.

In many ways it is an HQM with gated technology like expert mode. I definitely recommend the pack.
That sounds amazing! :) but the RAM requirements are going to kill it for me :( I’m amid an expert-like magic pack for 1.7 anyway at the moment, but I was hoping... ah well.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
You could try my shattered pack, it's 1.7.10 pack (so performance is not as great a deal). It's currently only on the FTB legacy launcher, but I'm going to be looking at getting it up on Twitch.
It's tech based, set in a Skyisland environment, with a lot of recipe tweaks for a sense of progression. No HQM, you blunder your way through it :p The goal is to provide more mining, exploring and planning, with crafting being initially quite expensive, but as you progress through the tech and build up your tech level, things become cheaper. Everything should be an interesting challenge, not a grind.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
That sounds amazing! :) but the RAM requirements are going to kill it for me :( I’m amid an expert-like magic pack for 1.7 anyway at the moment, but I was hoping... ah well.

I'm running 1.12 packs just fine @ 90+ FPS with 6GB allocated for Java... Granted I just use stock MC graphics, no add-on shaders.

The CPU thing is true with Intel chips, I see in videos all the time how uneven the core speeds are when overclocking. I run a Ryzen 5 1600, which is rated @3.2Ghz but automatically shifts as high as 3.6Ghz depending on CPU temperature (about 45C currently), and that's with the stock AMD fan. All the cores are stable at that speed and I don't have to put slow performers in idle.

I won't be attempting overclocking until later in the year when I put in a water cooled loop and maybe an 1800x if the price drops enough after the new Ryzen 2s arrive later this month.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Which operating system are you using?

If you are asking me I run Windows 10 Pro 'Insider's Preview' (I consider these to be 'Beta Test' versions)... I'm already using features that are supposedly being released in the "Spring Creators" edition coming out later this month.

To complete my config info, I have 16GB DDR4@2966Khz (6066 MB allocated), Java ver. 1.0.8_25 (loads automatically from Mojang) and a 6GB 1060 eVGA GPU.

Last edited: