Sugar and Cactus coke

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
So I saw these things in NEI, and I was curious. Do they hold a candle to normal charcoal/coke? Could I get away with a sugarcane farm to run my boiler?

They're cool. If I don't get an answer for awhile I guess I'll do some testing to find out how much EU they give off.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
Ooh, that's interesting. I'll have to experiment more though.

Darn, I have to stop posting.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Flesh coke, eye coke, wheat coke even egg coke.

Back in my day we didn't make coke outta' sugar. But really, I needa light up summa dat good stuff. I mean, for my machines.

But really, can we take a moment to explore and learn all the fuel options?
  • Coal: It's mined. It burns for a while so you can walk away while you're smelting something.
  • Charcoal: You can get a lot of it quite easily, especially starting out. Also you can get it for free and the cost of time, using a Coke Oven. Burns a little bit less than coke, so you can still walk around and do other things but not as much before having to refill.
  • Coal Coke: Straight upgrade of Coal. Can put a ton of of it your furnace and you'll be set for a long time. Burns a lot. Only downside is time to produce, this can be taken care of my producing it early on and always keeping a stack in the oven.
  • Sugar Coke: Sucks, but it's free. You can use it very early game for quick smelts. You could also use it late-game if you have a steady supply.
  • Cactus Coke: Also sucks, but great if you have a steady supply of it.
So what I'm seeing is, all the coal-based stuff is great if you want to shove a stack in a furnace and go mining. The other stuff is cheaper, but for if you have a steady supply of it transferring into your machines. This new stuff seems perfect for us ftb Engineers, and I can imagine myself making a simple supply line of sugar coke and pipes.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
It's funny to note that the coal coke block came out before the coal block, and that they sort of share a texture.

haha, that's pretty cool. I haven't checked in a while, but can they be burned ina furnace? Or is that only with one of those "burn anything" mods? Also is sugar coke obtained from coke ovens or from burning sugar?

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
haha, that's pretty cool. I haven't checked in a while, but can they be burned ina furnace? Or is that only with one of those "burn anything" mods? Also is sugar coke obtained from coke ovens or from burning sugar?
Yeah, you can use it in a furnace. It has a nice fuel value. I gave my turtle a stack of it, the numbers are in the hundreds of thousands. Almost.

Sugar charcoal can be obtained from either an oven or furnace, but the coke requires an oven, just like logs.

Gnomeo

Jul 29, 2019
Looks like Plugins for Forestry changed the process, then. It used to be that you had to wash the sugar with liquid sulfur before putting it in the coke oven, and the final product was equivalent to coal coke because it required energy and processing to create. I liked the older method better, but I'm a sucker for creating a machine room solely for a process that adds functionality or efficiency.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
A bit of a bump, I did some testing and wanted to share.

Coal/Charcoal - 4000 EU
Coal Coke - 16000
Sugar/cactus charcoal - 1000 EU
Sugar/cactus coke - 2000 EU

My setup:
2013-06-20_14.22.49.png

TheAtomicOption

Jul 29, 2019
There's a recipe in unleashed for 8 sugar/cactus coke to make one coal coke, so should work for all your coal coke needs without sacrificing coal.

Gimply Goose

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah the main limiting factor I ran into for the sugar coke is coke ovens. You can run your boiler off of them fine, you just need 8x as many coke ovens vs coal coke.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah the main limiting factor I ran into for the sugar coke is coke ovens. You can run your boiler off of them fine, you just need 8x as many coke ovens vs coal coke.

That is true, but since you don't have to worry about running out of ovens like you do coal, it's a factor I happily accept. Sure it takes more setup, but being able to use coal for other stuff and not turn it into coalcoke is worth it for me.

Gimply Goose

Jul 29, 2019
That is true, but since you don't have to worry about running out of ovens like you do coal, it's a factor I happily accept. Sure it takes more setup, but being able to use coal for other stuff and not turn it into coalcoke is worth it for me.

Yeah it takes a lot of sand and clay though. I would call it more of a niche system rather than a competitive one. If you manually gather all the resources by hand and you don't have a lot of killer equipment yet, you are probably better off setting up a tree farm and settling for ethanol/charcoal for your boilers.

Don't get me wrong, I love a good niche system. A power supply based on cacti would make my day.

Reactions: YX33A and Staxed

MrD3cisive

Jul 29, 2019
Just started automating my cactus coke farm, its a really fun challenging way to get coal coke by the tons!

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
It's a great way of getting coke for sure and the creosote is a very nice byproduct. You can power a small/medium/large boiler off of the creosote, depending upon how many Coke Ovens you can keep fed. I use creosote for impregnated sticks and casing in carpenter.

The nice thing is a block of coke is a *very* compact form of energy. A DSU can hold literally a lifetime supply of power.

Reactions: Gimply Goose

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
It's a great way of getting coke for sure and the creosote is a very nice byproduct. You can power a small/medium/large boiler off of the creosote, depending upon how many Coke Ovens you can keep fed. I use creosote for impregnated sticks and casing in carpenter.

The nice thing is a block of coke is a *very* compact form of energy. A DSU can hold literally a lifetime supply of power.

A barrel of coal coke blocks is actually only about 590 million EU(~236 million MJ). Which sounds like a ton but isn't actually an extraordinary amount of power.

That's not to undermine the power density of such a barrel but it would take an extraordinary amount of time to get to that.