Struggling to make RF with Infinity Evolved...need ideas for big power!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
I must be doing things the wrong way.

I have made a IC2 reactor and a pile of Plutonium, also made a pile of Iridium ore.

The AE2 wrenche is nearly made for my ME controller.

But, RF is hard to make.

I made a biodiesel generator but is only makes just over 1024 RF/Tick.
Uranium is very hard to find, even with my ender quarry doing a 20 x 20 chunk mining sweep.

I have made my first big reactor, but even with liquid redstone it's eating yellorite ingots at a terrifying pace, so far only game to use it to power my Ender Quarry, a 5 x 5 reactor (3 x 3 internal dimensions) makes just over 1200 RF/Tick when cooled with liquid redstone, but fuel usage is high.. did they do something to Big Reactors in Evolved?

OK, so it sounds like i need to think outside the box for big power...

Any ideas?

I keep seeing things about epic bacon and beef?

I'll post the path I have been following, so hopefully that will provide some context.

Early on I ran coal power until I could get myself up to the water wheel, then i made a thermometric generator with Immersive Engineering.

After that I went on - what was for me anyway - a long journey to get myself a self sustaining generator, running on bio-diesel, generated by a 20 x 20 size melon farm that
is being fed with agricraft sprinklers.

At this stage I was not sure what to do, i could replicate my setup and have three 20 x 20
melon farms all feeding into my refiner and run three diesel generators, but I was worried
by the lag of so many block updates.

Iridium seems to be a road-block for me, so I have built a nuke plant to make plutonium, thinking i could use that for fuel rods in the big reactors mod to step up the power.

I also want to get into ME, but simply cannot fabricate Iridium at any sort of reasonable rate.

I have MOUNTAINS of resources though, nearly 20k iron ingots, piles of diamonds, lots of other things.

But I think I've missed something somewhere, I am worried that a big reactor powering an Ender-Quarry will not find enough yellorite ore to keep it going.

Would be very interested to know how people got over what I am calling the 'Iridium Hump', or.. if there's another direction I could take?

-Wuffle!

Last edited:

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I have only just started my FTB Infinity Evolved (Skyblock) experience, but:

Liquid redstone is one of the novelty coolants. Use Cyrotheum, and, if you want to be fancy, Ender as the outer layer.
Your reactor is too small. Big reactors are meant to be big. Make it 11x11 to give ample space for coolant around the rods.
Big reactors are normally crazy efficient with their fuel and will tend to generate loads more RF than it takes to get the fuel to refuel it.
If settings have been tweaked, Big Reactors steam turbines take tiny quantities of steam, and produce an order of magnitude more power again.

Reactions: WuffleFluffy

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
I have made my first big reactor, but even with liquid redstone it's eating yellorite ingots at a terrifying pace, so far only game to use it to power my Ender Quarry, a 5 x 5 reactor (3 x 3 internal dimensions) makes just over 1200 RF/Tick when cooled with liquid redstone, but fuel usage is high.. did they do something to Big Reactors in Evolved?
Fuel usage is set at 8x.

Since I'm playing in normal mode, it was solvable using Gendustry and breeding radioactive bees. I'm running a 75k RF/t passive reactor getting uranium (with surplus) from 56 industrial apiaries, each with 5 production upgrades. The apiaries use ~3200 RF/t. Of course, this is significantly more time consuming / tedious in expert mode due to Gendustry being gated behind the infinity bee.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Quarrying for your Uranium will be very difficult to make net energy positive. I know of two(2) ways to get Uranium cheaper energy cost per ore than a quarry:

1) Immersive Engineering Excavator
You'll have to get extremely lucky with the Core Sample Drill to find a Uranium vein with Immersive Engineering, but those veins do exist. I haven't found one in 2 worlds, soo....

2) MFR Laser
We went this route on our server after giving up looking for IE Uranium veins. The MFR laser is not that hard to make - pink slime is the gating component and if you've done MFR once, it'll be easy. We have 6 lime foci in our laser and it's producing way more Uranium than our first efficient reactor could use.

For power, one of the most efficient producers is a 5x5x5 liquid-cooled IC2 reactor. It's a PITA to setup, but is indeed efficient. Look for a design that has an efficiency of 10 when in the cooled reactor. It should produce around 5K RF/t. And, the rods will last a long time. During that time, you'll find way more Uranium with the MFR Laser.

And, if you really want to use Big Reactors, use yellow foci in the MFR Laser. I haven't tested it, but it may be net energy positive if you have a very efficient reactor. But, you may not if you're not producing a lot of MOX fuel pellets, which is plutonium, which is IC2.

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks guys,

I was just a bit worried... I used my IC2 reactor to just turn plain Uranium rods into Plutonium, which i have immediately turned into RTG Pellets, because I wanted
to go into Big Reactors.

But if they (Big Reactors) use 8x the fuel....i suspect i may have wasted weeks of plutonium production.

I've been making UU matter for a while now and have 46 Iridium ore..

I'm genuinely not sure which way to go, do I go further into IC2, or try to make Big Reactors work?
Or do i go Solar Power?

I'm at a point with this pack where I really am not sure where to go next.

I really wish I was able to work out bees, is there a good guide anywhere?

I'm currenly generating about 2k RF/Tick combined with my diesel generator and my big reactor, plus an extra 100 or so with the water wheel/thermoelectric generator.

-Wuffle.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Further into IC2.

Rather then turn all of your plutonium into RTG pellets for Big Reactors, divert some more MOX. I'm guessing you're sitting on an excess of Uranium-238. This is perfect for MOX. There's some MOX reactor designs out there that make over 2,000 RF/t and are relativey efficient.

And, the main reason to use MOX is to generate even more plutonium. In our world, I made 10 Uranium-235 reactors and 8 MOX reactors. That's probably overkill. You should be fine with half that, i.e. 5-ish Uranium-235 and 4 MOX. Try to use the fluid reactors for the U-235 as those are 2x to 2.5x as efficient.

Each MOX should make at least 2,000 RF/t and each fluid U-235 should make at least 5,000 RF/t. Make sure to divert as much of that power as possible to an MFR Laser with lime foci or - if you're extremely luck and/or have incredible patience - ImmEng Excavactor.

And, if the IC2 fluid reactor pieces and parts are too tedious/fiddly/not fun, add Advanced Generators to your pack and use the Heat Exchanger and Steam Turbine. The efficiency/power output and resources used to build them is almost *exactly* the same as IC2. However, the Advanced Generators look a lot better, and are easier/more logical to build. We're using Advanced Generators on our server and it makes setting up an IC2 fluid reactor much nicer and better-looking.

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,

I'm sitting on over a thousand units of U-238 ... whole chests of the stuff, but so far did not know that I could do much with it, except make uranium or plutonium fuel on the crafting table.

What mod are these advanced nuclear reactors in? Definitely interested in having a look into this.

Do you have any info on how to build these reactors? My IC2 reactor has a central block plus a block on each facing, for a total 7 blocks, it's just using single cell uranium fuel cells with overclocked heat vents so it never overheats.

The power is used to drive a matter fab and replicator.

2016-06-14_00.08.29.png

I have other power coming in via other means to help out.

-Wuffle

Last edited:

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
How does this work in infinity evolved? Normally Uranium and Yellorium are ore dictionaried as are Bluetonium and Plutonium.

But, the basic IC2 process is - the uranium you mine will produce U235 and U238, which you combine into fuel rods, leaving an excess of U238. These burn up to produce depleted fuel rods that you can grind up to get a bit of plutonium. Once you have done this a lot you have enough plutonium that you can combine with U238 to make MOX fuel rods, which, when depleted, give you all the plutonium back plus a but more. So uranium reactors burn U235 for fuel, but MOX reactors burn your U238 for fuel, producing plutonium as an excess that you can then route into IC2s endgame "Free energy" plutonium biscuits to place in radiothermal generators.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
OK, so I use make MOX fuel cells, then just insert these into my reactor?

-Wuffle?

You should *not* insert MOX rods into a reactor designed for U-235. U-235 reactors should remove *all* heat and keep reactor at 0% heat. MOX reactors, on the other hand, keep the reactor *hull* between 70% and 80%. I aim for 75%. Even worse, you will likely melt the components next to the mox rods if they can't handle the heat from the MOX.

Here's a decent design for an efficient MOX reactor that outputs 800 EU/t (3.2K RF/t) using just 5 chambers. If you build it with 6, make sure to fill with reactor plating so you can automate it.

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...gmvhp9ohuqbmhxvav1k35qvym46y7aduzb5665bp965ts

If you've never done MOX, it's kind of neat and scary. You have to heat up the reactor manually by placing fuel cells *without cooling components* into the reactor, turn it on, and let it heat up to 75% or so, then remove the fuel cells or else quickly exit GUI and turn off. Starting at 70%, you will take a small amount of damage from the heat. However, you can access the reactor from far enough away without taking damage - you just won't be able to work on it close-up without damage once you raise the hull temp beyond 70%.

You probably don't have enough plutonium at this point to build a super-efficient MOX reactor, so you can build a small MOX reactor like this one:

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...uai1utlwd3mi7t9z9il6kc2wncenwdbxyo2bdoaa6v6dc

It uses just 5 MOX fuel cells, but you can't easily automate it since it mixes single and dual fuel rods. But, you can build into a bigger one once you have enough plutonium to make more MOX.

And, you can use even with 1 MOX fuel cell, it just won't be as efficient or put out nearly as much power. So, I'd start right away with a 0-chamber MOX reactor with 1 (or more) MOX fuel cells.

Last edited:

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
OK, so I use make MOX fuel cells, then just insert these into my reactor?

-Wuffle?

The short answer is: Yes.

The longer answer is: If you are looking for efficiency, the situation is more complicated:

Fuel Rod (MOX) rods can typically be used in the same reactor as Fuel Rod (Uranium) but they have an efficiency multiplier that increases up to 5X the hotter the reactor is. They also only last 5,000 ticks, not 10,000 like the Uranium variant. In terms of EU reactors, to take advantage of this, you want to pre-heat the reactor to "very hot", and then use a reactor design that does not have any components that cool the reactor hull. Ive never made an actively cooled reactor (that worked) so I can't comment on those.

Usually fuel rods contribute more heat the more efficient they are, but this does not apply to the heat bonus MOX fuel rods get. So this reactor is pretty much my favorite way to produce Uranium or MOX based power as its easy to automate (remove depleted rods, insert fresh ones via pipes), can be run 100% of the time, and has an efficiency of 4X, produces a solid 320EU/t with Fuel Rod (Uranium) or >1000EU/t if heated to >60% with Fuel Rod (MOX)

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...ny31t8k8brrpk04or11u15bxi33pdu1g7lh1mmlyr6m0w

ps. Talonfiremage seems to be down / non functional. So, download the Ic2ExpReactorPlanner.jar from here and copy and paste the above urls into it.

Last edited:

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
That's nearly identical to what I'm using in my pair of 5x5x5 reactors currently. In a fluid reactor, the output is around 5K RF/t. It's the most efficient U-235 fluid reactor I'm aware of. Your/ours is the same in terms of power and efficiency - only difference is placement of two(2) component heat vents.

Here's the Ic2ExpReactorPlanner code for the one I'm using (which is no better than yours - just pasting the Ic2Exp code for ease of use):

150D0C0D0C0D0C0D150D140D140D140D140D0C0D030D0C0D030D0C0C0D030D0C0D030D0C0D140D140D140D140D150D0C0D0C0D0C0D15

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
That's nearly identical to what I'm using in my pair of 5x5x5 reactors currently. In a fluid reactor, the output is around 5K RF/t. It's the most efficient U-235 fluid reactor I'm aware of. Your/ours is the same in terms of power and efficiency - only difference is placement of two(2) component heat vents.

Here's the Ic2ExpReactorPlanner code for the one I'm using (which is no better than yours - just pasting the Ic2Exp code for ease of use):

150D0C0D0C0D0C0D150D140D140D140D140D0C0D030D0C0D030D0C0C0D030D0C0D030D0C0D140D140D140D140D150D0C0D0C0D0C0D15

I do like that. When I came up with that design I was just a tad annoyed by the lack of symmetry.

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Wow thanks guys, really learning a LOT here :)

So basically to sum up... based on what you've shown me so far.

1. Build a largish reactor to process Uranium into Plutonium (Is this what they call a breeder reactor), this
reactor must be heat neutral and never overheat. Can be automated easily, all uranium that is mined goes into
this reactor. Low power output that can be used to run basic IC2 machines.

2. Process spent uranium fuel rods into tiny bits of plutonium

3. Make MOX fuel

4. Create MOX fuel cells

5. Build another second reactor, this will be the main reactor

6. Consume MOX fuel rods in this reactor, may require auto manufacture of coolant and new bits
to stop it exploding...must be pre-heated before activation, generates a lot of power.

How does that sound?

That means.. technically speaking.. that the breeder reactor doesn't need to go into a blast
proof building, because it can not overheat, the blast proof building is used for the MOX reactor?

-Wuffle!

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
1. Build a largish reactor to process Uranium into Plutonium (Is this what they call a breeder reactor),
I never understood this tbh. Why not build multiple actual uranium reactors that generate lots of power for you, while converting the uranium.

I is like: "Lets waste lots of fuel and power, so we can make other fuel and power".

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Wow thanks guys, really learning a LOT here :)

So basically to sum up... based on what you've shown me so far.

1. Build a largish reactor to process Uranium into Plutonium (Is this what they call a breeder reactor), this
reactor must be heat neutral and never overheat. Can be automated easily, all uranium that is mined goes into
this reactor. Low power output that can be used to run basic IC2 machines.

2. Process spent uranium fuel rods into tiny bits of plutonium

3. Make MOX fuel

4. Create MOX fuel cells

5. Build another second reactor, this will be the main reactor

6. Consume MOX fuel rods in this reactor, may require auto manufacture of coolant and new bits
to stop it exploding...must be pre-heated before activation, generates a lot of power.

How does that sound?

That means.. technically speaking.. that the breeder reactor doesn't need to go into a blast
proof building, because it can not overheat, the blast proof building is used for the MOX reactor?

-Wuffle!

Yes. and No. The reactor design presented is safe for both MOX and Uranium fuel. It can be run 100% of the time and fed fuel - uranium or MOX - and it will never change hull heat or use up any components.

There ARE other IC2 reactor designs that are possible if you want to squeeze more power out of a reactor and they typically rely on a timing circuit to turn it on and off for defined intervals, and/or mods like Logistic Pipes or Computer Craft to insert/replace items at specific grid positions.

Mistakes or miscalculations in the redstone timing circuit - glitches with coolant insertion - make these reactors prone to sudden unscheduled violent expansion events.

The reactor presented does not have any of these risks. There are two things that can happen with the presented reactor:
1. User derp - you accidentally remove a component from the running reactor and in your resulting panic fail to turn the reactor off in time.
2. User derp - when preheating the reactor you get your timing messed up and make it too hot.

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for all the info.. anyway. i made the reactor whose design was posted here :)

Taddaaa! It used all of my uranium ore but here it is in all its glory :)

2016-06-14_22.13.32.png

It generates quite a bit of power too, over 360 EU per tick.

One problem though, the overclocked heat vents (even advanced heat vents) eventually lose all durability after about 1 minute and then vanish, so i shut down
the reactor.

Does the reactor need to be turned on and then off again to allow components to cool down?

Here's a bunch of screen-shots showing the 'mouse over' tool tip text to show what each component is.

2016-06-14_22.16.47.png 2016-06-14_22.16.49.png 2016-06-14_22.16.51.png 2016-06-14_22.16.55.png 2016-06-14_22.16.57.png

I'm enjoying this, the hard mode is forcing me to use mods and do things i've not had to do before in Modded minecraft :)

Appreciate the tips and tricks!

-Wuffle!

Reactions: MigukNamja

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Thanks for all the info.. anyway. i made the reactor whose design was posted here :)

View attachment 28014

One problem though, the overclocked heat vents (even advanced heat vents) eventually lose all durability after about 1 minute and then vanish, so i shut down
the reactor.

Does the reactor need to be turned on and then off again to allow components to cool down?

Here's a bunch of screen-shots showing the 'mouse over' tool tip text to show what each component is.

View attachment 28015 View attachment 28018 View attachment 28019 View attachment 28020 View attachment 28021

I'm enjoying this, the hard mode is forcing me to use mods and do things i've not had to do before in Modded minecraft :)

Appreciate the tips and tricks!

-Wuffle!
The setup that was posted used Component Heat Exchangers(as do almost all highend setups).

Reactions: GreenZombie

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Hi,

I'm sitting on over a thousand units of U-238 ... whole chests of the stuff, but so far did not know that I could do much with it, except make uranium or plutonium fuel on the crafting table.

What mod are these advanced nuclear reactors in? Definitely interested in having a look into this.

Do you have any info on how to build these reactors? My IC2 reactor has a central block plus a block on each facing, for a total 7 blocks, it's just using single cell uranium fuel cells with overclocked heat vents so it never overheats.

The power is used to drive a matter fab and replicator.

View attachment 27986

I have other power coming in via other means to help out.

-Wuffle
I'm glad you clarified this. It actually makes your initial post make a lot of sense. The trick with IC2 reactors is that "crappy" reactors are highly inefficient. You need to assemble a design that actually produces a lot of power for the rods you put in.

I never understood this tbh. Why not build multiple actual uranium reactors that generate lots of power for you, while converting the uranium.
I is like: "Lets waste lots of fuel and power, so we can make other fuel and power".
My personal position is: Why not do both. In our case (I share Miguk's world) we have efficient reactors, and inefficient reactors. The inefficient reactors are (efficient) plutonium producers, but they're not very interesting (or immersive). Doing liquid cooled setups, MOX, etc allows you to a) mix things up, and b) burn off tons of that annoying U238 stockpile.

View attachment 28014

the reactor.

Two things going on here.
1) It just means you don't have a "stable" reactor. Find or build a design that's stable. I've never been good at making my own, and really there's not much point since the best designs are already discovered. I just find designs on the interwebs.
2) It is definitely plausible to run a reactor by letting it cool occassionally. Its just not a Mark 1 (stable) reactor at that point. I typically just stick with Mark 1 reactors.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
1. Heat Exchangers and Component Heat Exchangers look very similar, have similar names, and CANNOT substitute for each other.
2. The reactor should produce 320EU/t. I don't know how you could get more. Thats strange.

Also:
3. MOX reactors are breeder reactors as they breed plutonium.
4. I dissaprove of the general notion that certain reactors are more efficient at making plutonium. It takes 20,000 seconds to deplete a uranium fuel rod and the plutonium yield is always exactly the same. During that 20,000 seconds you are simply wasting fuel and EU if you make a deliberately fuel inefficient design.

Last edited: