Store liquid in pipe?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

behedwin

Jul 29, 2019
Hi
I am trying to have power from biomass and biogas engines.

I have 4 steve carts tree farms running.
Each farm have about 100 trees.

I have 3 fermentors and one biogas engine that produce biomass.

Somehow all my engines fill up with fuel as i want. But my tank always keep empty. I have a redstone engine on the tank pushing out everything all the time. But how much can be stored in the pipes really?? I have runned my 3 fermentors for several days and still my tank is empty and all engines are full. It means all fuel must go to the biogas engine that runs the fermentors and be stored in the pipes.

How much can be stored in the pipes?
Should i have it in the pipes or close the tank so it fills up and only release new fuel when needed?

behedwin

Jul 29, 2019
what do you need to see? It is kind of hard to screeenshot it since everything is built into walls and are at different places.

Let me try to explain a little bit more in detail.

I have 1 biogas engine that runs 3 fermentors.
I have pipes going from fermentors to the tank.
From the tank a pipe that goes to my machine room where i have 3 (turned off) biogas engines. I start these when i need to run a machine.

The 3 biogas engines in the machine room is full of fuel.
The 1 biogas engine that runs my fermentors are full.

The tank is empty.
Lots of fuel must be stored in the pipe i take it. Since i have had the fermentors going for several days.
How much can be stored in the pipe before i see the tank being filled up?

behedwin

Jul 29, 2019
The pipe from my tank to my machines.
It is quite long since my base is big.

The fermentors are producing fuel that is going to the tank. The fuel that goes into the tank is instantly pumped out to my machine network to keep them fueled. But i thought it would stop pouring out fuel from the tank after a while when the "network" from my tank to my machines got full. And then i would start to see my fuel fill up the tank.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
Are you using buildcraft pipes? Are they very long?

They do store a "decent" amount, but they should have filled completely by now.

Screenshots of the key areas would help a lot.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, your using the EU pipes (i guess for providing the materials)

How are you extracting the liquid from the fermenters?

Also: All the output golden pipes seems empty... that would normally mean the liquid is going somewhere (being consumed).... are you providing enough power to the fermenters to operate at decent speeds?

behedwin

Jul 29, 2019
Under the fermentor i got this:
http://prntscr.com/1s0d4c

And since the engine that runs the fermentors are full of fuel. I know the fuel is being pumped out from the fermentors. And i can see it go in to the tank and out from the tank. But i dont know where it goes after that. Stored in my pipes but it is like days worth of fuel there then... unlimited amount of liquid in the pipes makes a tanke quite worthless.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
The pipes coming out from the tank go to engines which are all turned off?

You should follow the circuit and check if theres nothing consuming the liquid, it MUST be going somewhere (unless theres a bug somewhere and its getting voided).

behedwin

Jul 29, 2019
I dont see how i can be consuming as much as i am producing. With only 1 biogas engine turned ON, i should get some "profit" from the 3 fermentors.

I have checked the line, nothing seems wierd.

So i guess it is a bug and the fuel is either there but i cant see it. Or it is being voided :S

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I dont see how i can be consuming as much as i am producing. With only 1 biogas engine turned ON, i should get some "profit" from the 3 fermentors.

A single biogas engine is not enough to fully power a single fermenter, let alone 3.

JesterSig

Jul 29, 2019
Try replacing your biogas engine with a charcoal engine or one that doesn't run on biogas. Run it for a while and see where the fuel goes. Since the engine won't be consuming the biomass you will know you have positive biomass production. Also how big is your railcraft tank and how are you checking if it's empty? Big tanks will store several buckets of liquid without the liquid being rendered. To check the exact amount of liquid in the tank, right click on it to open the interface and scroll over the gauge.

KowKrisis

Jul 29, 2019
What are you using to produce the fuel? Some plant materials produce very little of the stuff that it may just be taking you a long time to saturate the system properly. I also recommend getting a few more engines on the fertilizers to speed up the process a bit. They do not have to be biomass engines, TE steam engines should work nicely with a aqueous accumulator feeding them water. Use a temporary setup to boost production as you await saturation of pipes and engines, then add more biogas engines to run them, each fermenter reaches max production speed at 17 MJ/t, so one biogas engine on 3 of them will cause them to run rather slowly.

Edit: Went back and re-read the first post and I missed the stevecarts tree farm bit first time around.

behedwin

Jul 29, 2019
Good idea.
Ill turn of my biogas engine and put out 9 stirling engines hooked up to 1 of my fermentors.
Leave it running for a few hours and see if the tank goes up.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
A single biogas engine is not enough to fully power a single fermenter, let alone 3.

He should still produce more biomass than he is consuming to power the process, regardless how fast or slow the fermenters are going.

To answer one of the OPs questions that's been skipped so far - Buildcraft liquid pipes store 1 bucket per block; the golden pipes store 4 buckets per block.