Steve's Carts Tree Farm - despawning cart

nimzy

Jul 29, 2019
I don't use Steve's Carts anymore for precisely this reason, and it's also making me think twice about messing with carts at all in general.

Greevir

Jul 29, 2019
It seems to be something like the cart entity spawning before the world does. Have had this same thing happen on my server to numerous people many times. We basically gave up on Steves Carts due to this.

tabs

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I'm sticking with it. I've enough of a buffer in materials that I can replace the cart when it happens and it won't affect the systems down the line, and it's not that frequent an occurence at least for me.

The ROI for a treefarm easily covers that cost.

ryetoc

Jul 29, 2019
I found that it's not just steve carts trains. I had our city train turned off (testing if it caused lag) when the server restarted for normal maintance, the locomotive was half way across the room it was stoped in.

It was off with no fuel etc. And where it was after the fact wasn't even on a track, it was just "over there".

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
Bad news guys :(, I'm afraid I have to report a triple cart disappearance. o_O After updating our server from DW20 5.2 to 5.2.1 (only change is the addition of AE) we returned to find that 3 out of the 4 carts had simply vanished. One would probably conclude from that many disappearing all at once that it was more to do with the mod pack update and that's what I'm hoping it was. I've replaced them and they've all been running fine for 3 real life days without any issues, so maybe it would be wise to pick them up and pop them in a chest if when you make any server changes so you don't lose them.

tabs

Jul 29, 2019
Since my cart has had both a canopy and torches between the saplings (to prevent mob spawn) I've had no more issues. It could well be a bunch of different things causing them to dissapear.

TomT

Jul 29, 2019
Since my cart has had both a canopy and torches between the saplings (to prevent mob spawn) I've had no more issues. It could well be a bunch of different things causing them to dissapear.
Same here Tabs, I don't have torches, but the canopy seems to be working, knock on wood (pardon the pun). It may just be a coincidence though, but I am trying to keep track of it. I have a multi-block tree farm going as well that will probably provide enough wood to keep my boilers going if the cart disappears. At least it will buy me some time. Life is good when the cart farm is working.

NNF_trees.JPG

recon_

Jul 29, 2019
I have the exact same issue on my server. It mostly happens after server restart so I guess the carts are loading too early and falling through the void.

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
Logged on today to find another one gone... :( I did also notice many many holes in the wood roof of our main base so there's clearly been some lightning storms. Not sure whether to put a glass canopy over it and see if that works or whether it's down to "carts falling through the void" like recon_ says above. :confused:

Talencourt

Jul 29, 2019
Had this happen once or twice to me too; never was sure what caused it, but I have a suspicion that it was my own fault. Seems that the carts ain't too fond of taking damage and will pop off the tracks and subsequently despawn if hit. I've had them derailed by errant skeleton arrows, and I've accidentally knocked them off the tracks a few times as collateral damage when tossing fire around with my flame wand. Damage from a lightning strike/burning tree doesn't sound too far-fetched. I think the sensible option would be to enclose the farm and prevent mob spawning .. if it still happens then you can safely say it's a bug/server issue.

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
Update: Had a glass roof over the entire farm for 2 weeks now and NO cart disappearances.... I was losing on average 2-3 per week before. It's got to be the lightning then imho. :eek:

recon_

Jul 29, 2019
Update: Had a glass roof over the entire farm for 2 weeks now and NO cart disappearances.... I was losing on average 2-3 per week before. It's got to be the lightning then imho. :eek:
Mine are running underground and they are still disappearing ;)

Nyiah

Jul 29, 2019
I used to play on several servers where we had the same issue with Steve’s Carts, and it turned out that the ClearLag plugin (which removes ground items) was to blame.
No cart disappeared after ClearLag was disabled.

recon_

Jul 29, 2019
I used to play on several servers where we had the same issue with Steve’s Carts, and it turned out that the ClearLag plugin (which removes ground items) was to blame.
No cart disappeared after ClearLag was disabled.
I had ClearLag on my server... Removed it and carts still disappeared.
Also you can disable minecart removing in the config of CL.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I had a cart disappear once, it might have been back around the time of the 5.2.1 update but I think that that would have occurred to me if it had happened at exactly that time. Or maybe I just didn't notice that it was missing for a while afterwards. It was on the surface so lightning is also a possibility, but the number of people saying that underground carts also disappear, and it happening regularly so it can't be a pack update, leads me to conclude that it's just falling through the world like golems sometimes do. Back in vanilla when the only automation I had was a pack of attack dogs, I would sometimes be running back to my base when suddenly a dozen wet dogs all appear next to me. I can only conclude that they were falling through the world as a chunk started to load and ended up landing in an underground lake and then teleporting to me. Also, occasionally a whole load of my dogs would vanish for no good reason. Falling through the world, must be.