steam boiler

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
Ok i have this new huge steam boiler. Steel.

I used almost a chest of coal to get it to jut 200. I have 2 peat farms feeding it and it is losing heat it is down to 180.

i am on dw20. I know people use to use blaze rods to heat them, but since the nerf. What is a good way now?

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
steves cart tree farm make charcoal from the wood or convert it to a liquid boiler

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
The currently popular way is using a Steve's Cart tree farm. I believe the idea is that you turn the logs into planks (best done using a sawmill, if possible), and then feed those into the boiler.

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
So long as your fuel doesn't run out, it should NEVER lose heat. 2 peat farms should be enough fuel to keep a full size high pressure boiler or two up. the only issue is having enough around to get the thing to temperature to start with since it uses a sliding scale up to 9X as much fuel during the warm up period.

Is your peat farm fully automated right down to the peat bog creation or do you have to manually feed it? Or did they run out of materials/power and stop harvesting?

The tree farm thing is cliche right now, having planks create 6X as much heat as the logs they're generated from is an obvious oversight that'll eventually get fixed.... So run with it, it is a bit easier, otherwise your peat farms will keep it running once you work out / automate the kinks

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
The tree farm thing is cliche right now, having planks create 6X as much heat as the logs they're generated from is an obvious oversight that'll eventually get fixed...

The "oversight" is from vanilla MineCraft, so it likely isn't something that will be changed there anytime soon. But yes, it would be nice if full wooden logs smelted for 32 seconds (logs burn longer than one-fourth of the wood used to make them), and planks smelted for eight seconds. You should get some extra time out of the same log by using a sawmill, but by then you're well off enough that it isn't a massive multiplier to your entire system (still, 150% is nice, although no where near as crazy as 600%).

BIBLO

Jul 29, 2019
i only have to add the sand. I have a turtle doing the water. and a auto crafting table making bog. And gates telling it when to make. Not figure out the sand issiue yet.

good thing my tree farm had 150 stacks of logs. I am running on biofuel at the moment.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
i only have to add the sand. I have a turtle doing the water. and a auto crafting table making bog. And gates telling it when to make. Not figure out the sand issiue yet.

Cobblestone can be macerated (likely pulverized and rock grinder'd as well) into sand. You can make cobblestone through an igneous extruder or two or four if need be. There is your autosand, good sir.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I'm starting to think that If I had an Euro for every time someone blindly builds a 36 HP boiler just because it is the biggest one possible, without consideration for whether it's suitable for their needs at all, I might be able to quit my day job... :confused:

Reactions: baw179

nethervvoid

Jul 29, 2019
I have just automated a peat bog and yes igneous extruder feeding a pulverizer is the best way I've found. Just put a gate on your sand chest to send a redstone signal to shut off the pulverizer when your sand chest is full.

nethervvoid

Jul 29, 2019
I have just automated a peat bog and yes igneous extruder feeding a pulverizer is the best way I've found. Just put a gate on your sand chest to send a redstone signal to shut off the pulverizer when your sand chest is full.

Although... I wonder if the pulverizer will stop on its own like the extruder... I bet it will.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to know, how long how much buckets/items of fueltype X you need to keep a boiler running for Y hours starting from cold, or while already being at max temperature:
Just download the spreadsheet and plugin your numbers in the corresponding yellow fields (Updated today):
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=47602336349639825196

(Upload as attachment errored out, sorry for using an external hoster.)

You may want to try uploading it to Google Documents, and hosting it there. I've uploaded a copy of it and set it up on my Google account, to show you how it'll look: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqKefI8fJ05OdDV0aFJBWGs0SFYtUmRyWHNRTFZYLVE&usp=sharing

It is a whole lot faster to access the data that way for people. You'd just need to protect the regions you don't want modified, and then allow public access.

Beleriond01

Jul 29, 2019
Experiencing similar trouble so trying to convert my blaze/peat farm to an SC tree farm powered boiler. Biggest trouble I have so far is getting my turtle to fill a bucket with water continually. ATM I have an infinite water source 2 blocks underneath the turtle. Used to work fine but currently it won't fill the bucket...bottleneck of the bog earth creation.

Other issue I haven't sorted yet is the sawmill>logs and sawmill>sawdust> charcoal bit...

Already have a full tank of biomass from the SC tree farm saplings so will probably convert that to biofuel to power a new HP 36 boiler...

Bel*.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Experiencing similar trouble so trying to convert my blaze/peat farm to an SC tree farm powered boiler. Biggest trouble I have so far is getting my turtle to fill a bucket with water continually. ATM I have an infinite water source 2 blocks underneath the turtle. Used to work fine but currently it won't fill the bucket...bottleneck of the bog earth creation.

If you don't mind trying a different solution, a redpower2 deployer will fill buckets fairly quickly. Up to five buckets a second (.2 second timer) before it gets buggy. It could then output into a chest, which the turtle can then grab from. Have it fed by another chest that the turtle inputs the empty buckets into.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
If you don't mind trying a different solution, a redpower2 deployer will fill buckets fairly quickly. Up to five buckets a second (.2 second timer) before it gets buggy. It could then output into a chest, which the turtle can then grab from. Have it fed by another chest that the turtle inputs the empty buckets into.

Isn't the liquid transposer plenty fast for this? Seems like a fairly compact and powerful setup is capable with emerald pipes, autarchic gates, an aqueous accumulator, and a liquid transposer.

Reactions: Guswut

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Isn't the liquid transposer plenty fast for this? Seems like a fairly compact and powerful setup is capable with emerald pipes, autarchic gates, an aqueous accumulator, and a liquid transposer.

That isn't a bad solution, and likely the one I'll be using with my Ender Tanks when I get to setting them up. Although the deployer would be cheaper by a good deal, if that matters.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
My SC tree farm was supplying enough planks and compressed sawdust for a LP36 and HP36 boiler, until last update. I had to convert the HP boiler to liquid and go hunting for oil since.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I have no issues running 1 36HP boiler off my SC treefarm and I have plenty of charcoal to spare.