Steam Boiler Help

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

vScourge

Jul 29, 2019
36HP boiler produces 720 steam/t. Industrial Steam Engines use up to 40 steam/t, so that's 18 engines per 36HP boiler.

Reactions: Diocruel

Diocruel

Jul 29, 2019
So I have tried a lot of different farming set-ups.

It seems that a 9 by 9 MFR planter and harvester can power 1 36hp boiler by creating charcoal in an induction furnace. I want my base to be pretty space efficient so I only wanna use 2(!) chunks of farms and creation of fuel. My partner in FTB crime and I have decided we want to have 2 steam boilers (36HP) to power the entire facility we are building.

I have also tried:
  • A pumkin and melon farm, split 50/50. It produced enough seeds for sure, but I couldn't autocraft melons fast enough to keep up with the flow. So there was an overflow of melons. (into biofuel)
  • A carrots, potatoes and pumkin farm. I calculated the production over 3 hours and it seemed that it just did not produce enough biofuel for 2 36hp boilers.
  • A wood farm, 3 by 3. Powered by an external chunk of poop(bunch of cows over a sewer). This made more than enough wood. But composters need power to operate as well, so I am not sure if it is worth it, compared to the 9 by 9 farm.
Does anyone know of better set-up? I like liquid boilers a bit better, since a tank full of the stuff looks really coal and does not need an extra chain of an induction furance :p.

sks0315

Jul 29, 2019

It seems that a 9 by 9 MFR planter and harvester can power 1 36hp boiler by creating charcoal in an induction furnace. I want my base to be pretty space efficient so I only wanna use 2(!) chunks of farms and creation of fuel. My partner in FTB crime and I have decided we want to have 2 steam boilers (36HP) to power the entire facility we are building.

I have also tried:
  • A pumkin and melon farm, split 50/50. It produced enough seeds for sure, but I couldn't autocraft melons fast enough to keep up with the flow. So there was an overflow of melons. (into biofuel)
  • A carrots, potatoes and pumkin farm. I calculated the production over 3 hours and it seemed that it just did not produce enough biofuel for 2 36hp boilers.
  • A wood farm, 3 by 3. Powered by an external chunk of poop(bunch of cows over a sewer). This made more than enough wood. But composters need power to operate as well, so I am not sure if it is worth it, compared to the 9 by 9 farm.
Does anyone know of better set-up? I like liquid boilers a bit better, since a tank full of the stuff looks really coal and does not need an extra chain of an induction furance :p.

for melon, turtle FTW. It can craft 64 item at a time. And composters hardly use any power(about 50MJ per each fertilizer)

Diocruel

Jul 29, 2019
for melon, turtle FTW. It can craft 64 item at a time. And composters hardly use any power(about 50MJ per each fertilizer)

ow, why didn't i think about that xD. I found out that 2 chunks of pumkin farms are also enough to power a boiler, so I don't think I will change that since pumkins are easy to manage =]

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019

It seems that a 9 by 9 MFR planter and harvester can power 1 36hp boiler by creating charcoal in an induction furnace.

Mine (7x7) can power atleast 4. Poop for the win.

tonic316

Jul 29, 2019
Just throw up 2 MFR tree farms with an emerald upgrade. I was getting 300 oak a minute. Enough to power 25 36hp solid boilers. :D.

I have no since moved onto liquid boilers as my friend on the server made a super tree. Went from 2m to 20m + ethanol in a day.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019

since you`ve mention induction furnace, it means that IC2 is around. you can use IC2 fertilizer, which can be crafted from scrap.
1 recycler provides enough fertilizer for farm( 2x2 jungle tree) to supply 2 36 hp boilers.