Steam Boiler Help

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
Coke oven produce coke once every 3 mins. A full size LP boiler requires 90/hour to keep running. which is 1.5 per min. So you need 4.5 coke ovens to keeps a LP boiler running or 9 coke ovens to keep one HP boiler running.

ndDean

Jul 29, 2019
Coke oven produce coke once every 3 mins. A full size LP boiler requires 90/hour to keep running. which is 1.5 per min. So you need 4.5 coke ovens to keeps a LP boiler running or 9 coke ovens to keep one HP boiler running.

Yes but why would you want to run your entire system off coal coke? This would require you to keep a steady stream of coal 24/7 in order to keep your boilers running 24/7, otherwise they would just crash and you would be back at square one. You're better off using a tree farm since its renewable and runs itself 24/7 if setup properly, and using the coal coke to just get the boiler prepped up to max heat. It's also best to autocraft the wood from your tree farm into planks before sending them into the boiler. 1 log = 4 planks (more stuff to burn)

Reactions: zorn

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
4 planks != charcoal. Its better to turn you wood into charcoal until TE fixes the sawmill. As for running a boiler constantly on coal coke I agree I figured it would be good to have the numbers out there. And with a proper mining turtle army you can produce enough to keep it running. Also I find a large tree farm can cause lag. Anyways to reduce lag from tree farms?

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
How large is large for you? Is 9x9 considered large? If you want a small one, you could keep it at default 3x3 and tack a fertilizer to it, fed with composter+sewage collector.

ndDean

Jul 29, 2019
4 planks != charcoal. Its better to turn you wood into charcoal until TE fixes the sawmill. As for running a boiler constantly on coal coke I agree I figured it would be good to have the numbers out there. And with a proper mining turtle army you can produce enough to keep it running. Also I find a large tree farm can cause lag. Anyways to reduce lag from tree farms?

Meh, charcoal is just another step. Planks stabilize them just fine imo. I currently use a 9x9 tree farm for mine and I don't experience any lag. A few other people on my server do the same thing.

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
3x3 gets stuck sometimes when the planter plants a sapling before the harvester is done chopping down the tree and then it like freezes and I have to go fix it. I find I dont have this problem when I use upgrades and make it bigger. 9x9 isnt that large I have made larger but its large enough that I would be worried.[DOUBLEPOST=1376404849][/DOUBLEPOST]
Meh, charcoal is just another step. Planks stabilize them just fine imo. I currently use a 9x9 tree farm for mine and I don't experience any lag. A few other people on my server do the same thing.
Guys AE is your friend... Automation makes this easy and increases your fuel efficiency. I deal with lag because I tend to go nuts with way too many machines.

ndDean

Jul 29, 2019
Anyways, to get back on topic here lol

Does anyone have any ideas to what I should do so it wont cool down again?

First you need to get yourself a tree farm going, a 9x9 tree farm is about the right size to go with. Anything smaller and you might have to use fertilizers and supply those in order to keep up with the boiler.
Next, build yourself a coke oven, maybe two of them if you're impatient. (like me)
I would suggest making around 20 stacks of coal coke (I doubt you will need this much but its better safe than sorry) EDIT: I was corrected below, you will need around 54 stacks
Use the coal coke to get your boiler to max heat, once its at max starting pumping your logs from your tree farm into an autocrafting table (if using FTB Ultimate) or perhaps a craft turtle or sawmill (if using FTB unleashed since autocrafting tables are gone) and craft planks
to pump directly into your boilers. You should be good to go then.

Infallible83

Jul 29, 2019
You only need 1 coke oven generally to get it going, I always make one ahead of time and start getting coal coke before I get to the point where I need to make the boiler

Really? you must leave it running for a long time before building the boiler and even then I'm guessing it will run out at some point.

I did a litte research to see how many I would need and I found the following: MATHS IS NOT MY STRONG POINT, SOMONE IN THE KNOW PLEASE CORRECT ME IF NECESSARY.

A 36HP boiler need 2138 coal coke per 24 hours real time running. http://ftbwiki.org/Steam_Boiler_Statistics
The process of burning a single piece of coal takes 3 minutes. http://ftbwiki.org/Steam_Boiler_Statistics

2138 / 24 = 89.1 (rounded) coal coke per hour needed to sustain a 36HP
89.1 / 60 = 1.49 (rounded) coal coke per minute

Which means you will need at least 2 coke ovens to just sustain a 36HP. Also, a 36HP needs over 22million units of fuel to heat it to max temperature which is over 54 stacks (6400 per unit) of coal coke (Over 172 hours real time in a single coke oven).

You sir must be a very patient person.

ndDean

Jul 29, 2019
You sir must be a very patient person.

Not really lol, I usually make around 2 or 3 of them to get the coal coke I need :p

Which means you will need at least 2 coke ovens to just sustain a 36HP. Also, a 36HP needs over 22million units of fuel to heat it to max temperature which is over 54 stacks (6400 per unit) of coal coke (Over 172 hours real time in a single coke oven).

54 stacks? Felt more like 15-20 to me. Shows how much I pay attention

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I have around 24 coke ovens at the moment and a steam oven producing charcoal from my single MFR tree farm just planting one oak sapling at a time. I am still producing more wood than charcoal, and I have about 20k wood and 9k charcoal. I started heating the boiler at 13k charcoal, and have stabilized around 9k, and so far I am about 750 degrees in the boiler. I should eventually double the number of coke ovens to 60, and have enough charcoal and creosote to run 2 off of charcoal and one from the creosote oil, although I may need to supplement with ethanol to bring up to temperature. I won't need my steam oven then to produce charcoal, but I don't have all the coke ovens built yet, so I needed a little extra. This will make 4 36HP boilers being run off of 1 MFR tree farm (using fertilizer).

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
MFR Planters will plant mushrooms regardless of light conditions. The default settings of the Harvester will ignore small mushrooms. You need a Fertilizer to turn the mushrooms into large mushrooms.

The Planter will plant mushrooms on stone, so I have just a single square of dirt with a ditch around it in the 3x3 section. A +3 Upgrade will change a Planter from 3x3 to 9x9, and using the built-in filter you get nine 3x3 planting areas, at a loss of efficiency. Same with the Harvester and Fertilizer (though they have no filters). The colored 3x3 grid in the Planter is the filter, and coresponds to the colors on top of the planter. Put a plant the filter and only that plant will be used in the 1/3 of the area that that color uses.

The Fertilizer works on all the plants except the cocoa beans. It's necessary to grow the mushrooms. Using just the one growing spot and fertilizer, you'll have a HUGE surplus of mushrooms. In fact, I get more mushrooms than any other plant.

One jungle log in the center of it's 3x3 will get four beans planted on it. You can't fertilize these, but they grow quickly. The default of the Harvester is set to ignore jungle logs for this purpose.

All these work in a MFR Bio Generator, giving it max efficiency. The plant I have the least amount of is wheat, which has the most growing area. All it's 3x3 area. Once I get an AE system going I fill part of the Planter's 4x4 inventory with a piece of dirt, leaving a 3x3 grid for the plants. Which means one space for a stack of each plant.

I hear that pumpkin and melon seeds work in a Bio Generator, but I haven't tried them since I don't know what the harvester does with the melons, so it might need some automation to get the seeds.

Note that I have the mushrooms and trees in the corner sections of the Planter, so they don't grow on top of each other.

Diocruel

Jul 29, 2019
Can you guys tell me how you make the charcoal? I tried using logistics pipes into 3 hoppers and a vanilla furnace times 10 (logipipes just on a furnace don't seem to work that well). It goes pretty slow and it seems to be a bit laggy, is there a better way? I want to have 2 36 high pressure boilers running. Any recommendations on minimum MFR farm size?

I could also go the liquid way, but I am not sure how big my farm needs to be then and if I should use different kind of seeds. Not sure how big it needs to be to support 2 boilers and also I don't know how many biofuelreactors I need. I'm trying stuff out on a test map for the opening of a new FTB unleashed server of a friend of mine :D.

ndDean

Jul 29, 2019
Can you guys tell me how you make the charcoal? I tried using logistics pipes into 3 hoppers and a vanilla furnace times 10 (logipipes just on a furnace don't seem to work that well). It goes pretty slow and it seems to be a bit laggy, is there a better way? I want to have 2 36 high pressure boilers running. Any recommendations on minimum MFR farm size?

I could also go the liquid way, but I am not sure how big my farm needs to be then and if I should use different kind of seeds. Not sure how big it needs to be to support 2 boilers and also I don't know how many biofuelreactors I need. I'm trying stuff out on a test map for the opening of a new FTB unleashed server of a friend of mine :D.

It goes slow because you are using a vanilla furnace lol, use something a little faster.

If you wanted to go the liquid route, I would suggest getting a pretty large farm going. One of the players on my server runs two 11x11 MFR farms and sends the excess saplings into the Fermenters, which is quite a bit of extra saplings from what I seen. Not sure how
many boilers he currently powers with that setup though, so I would suggest starting with one, make sure it can stabilize it, then go up from there until you find the limit.

sks0315

Jul 29, 2019

TE powered furnace is pretty nice way to make charcoal.

Diocruel

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm okay. Still it will suck some power that you are producing. I'll try a biofuel setup and a charcoal setup later today :)

zorn

Jul 29, 2019

Planks appear to give off the same heat and EU as a log. Huh, thats kind of broken isnt it?

Im on ultimate so i use redpower furnaces and solar panels to make charcoal, so at that point its better to make charcoal. Charcoal is more useful all around as a fuel than planks are too, imo. But it seems if you had to use wood from the tree farm to make charcoal, its easier and almost as efficient to just make them into planks. This has to be some sort of bug, planks should not create 4 times the energy as a log does.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty sure scaffolding is IC2. Gregtech changes the amount of scaffolds you get so that you cant turn a few logs into huge amounts of EU.