Starting over: Which is the most stable, "feature complete" pack out there?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Jerx99

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, so I just decided to take up some FTB again (finally!), and I'm looking around at the packs available. The thing I've realised is that having the newest, coolest stuff isn't all that important - I often used to be updated to the latest version of the latest pack, and it just did my head in since I could never have everything (always some new vanilla feature that was in a too new a version or some new mod that hadn't been brought in etc etc...).

So now I'm thinking I'll just pick a pack and stick with it for a while. I previously played (and liked) packs like DW20, Ultimate and last time Unleashed...

Should I just stick to Unleashed or is there a new pack out there which is stable and has most things you expect (I don't mind having more things and trying new mods out)?

I like my bees, AE, Thermal Expansion, Tinker's etc, but mostly I just like building in a survival environment with mods as a complement to make for interesting designs and improve renewability and utility.

edit: Looking around, I'm kind of inclined to go with either the 1.6.4 DW20 pack or "Monster"

Last edited:

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Monster is a good pack. I play it myself. However, be aware it is resource intensive. They don't call it "Monster" for nothing. For what you want, I'd say go for DW. Monster has the same mods however(except Ars Magica), as well as new ones like Ender IO, Rotary Craft, and Blood Magic. So if you want to play with the new mods, go Monster. If you don't really care and want a pack that's slightly easier on resources, go for Direwolf.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,

I just started over in DW20 1.6.4 and I was able to pritty much make all the same stuff like in Ultimate 1.4.7 Feeling kind of boarded now and may start again with a no MFR Wood farm rule or a no Boiler rule or something.

Also I miss the difficulty Greagtech gave in former times. I could build a quarry and ME sorting so quick that it kind of felt to easy. I barly even mined with a pick. I think it took me longer making a TC Hammer then gathering with a iron pick the stuff for a Quarry with unlimited selfsustaining energy for both the Quarry and the storage sistem.

So now I¨m looking at the other stuff like Monster Pack. But not realy sure if its me going always the same tec way or changing the pack would acctualy help me.

Last edited:

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
I was able to plop in good old Greg with no problems. Not a single ID conflict thanks to the FTB team's wonderful universal config. So if you want to add it in, you shouldn't have any problems.

Reactions: BreezyTaco

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
Greg version of Ultimate 1.4.7? Cause without reading threw the hole discussion here about Greg I understand that the new version is very different to what it was and then its not in my interest to add it.

Taiine

Jul 29, 2019
I started with DW20's 1.6 pack and just added in/removed what I wanted, even included a few extra mods I wanted to play around with. So far it's all worked out fine, even added the updates for some of the mods with no hitch. There were like, two mods that had ID conflicts but once those were fixed it all went smooth.

Pretty much, Monster is an insane beast that will chug your system and holds a lot of odd mods that to me didn't seem to fit well together. DW20's pack is much easier and has a lot of the same base mods that you can add to.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
The only difference I see really is the addition of the Bronze age. And once you get through it, it's pretty much the same. Except no matter fabricator due to UU Matter being liquid now.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Also I miss the difficulty Greagtech gave in former times. I could build a quarry and ME sorting so quick that it kind of felt to easy. I barly even mined with a pick. I think it took me longer making a TC Hammer then gathering with a iron pick the stuff for a Quarry with unlimited selfsustaining energy for both the Quarry and the storage sistem.

You might be happier with MagicFarm2. Iguana Tweaks is core, as is Hunger Overhaul and the more difficult mobs. Also, there is no quarry or other early-game auto-resource tool. There are, however, bees and the MFR Laser, so very nice mid-to-late game auto-resource stuff to look forward to.

There are also plenty of other nice mods like TE3, AE, and TC4. I like the overall look, feel, and experience of the modpack. It slows the game down nicely without making it tedious or overly punishing.