Spider Eye Farm?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Farm has been made - LINK

So, I've been derping around with a compound on my (Slightly customized) FTB Ultimate server.

I wanna start IC2 farming soon, but I need a way to farm spider eyes for Weed-Ex.
Is there an efficient but aesthetically pleasing way of farming these?

Preferably something that isn't just a massive cobble box.

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
makeing a witch soul shard spawner would give spider eyes + a few things more like redstone or glowstone if you do want to use spider spawner you could try dropping them into quicksand to kill them

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
A witch soul spawner would be awesome actually. For some reason witches tend to swarm my compound if there's no-one there. I think it has something to do with an evil node nearby

What about if they use regen potions? Wouldn't turtles have a tough time with them?

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
I'mma try a melee turtle farm with about 7 turtles just to experiment how well they do.

Here's the code
Code:
while true do
  while turtle.detectDown() ~= true do
    turtle.attack()
  end
end

This basically has turtles attack nearby entities if there's no block underneath them.

lazaruz76

Jul 29, 2019
At my server base I set up a large 11x11x11 stone brick box around a thaumcraft obsidian totems (not sure what they are called, totems around a chest). At the back are turrets from portal gun, front is glass viewers, instant wisp grinder. Got rid of everything but the spawner. Have since added a few tier 5 spawners to the roof. The witches take forever to kill even with 33 turrets shooting them. Chickens on the other hand are funny, most die before hitting bottom. The best part is how cheap the turrets are. Put them behind iron bars and the are protected while still able to function.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Seems to work okay.

A few alterations required.[DOUBLEPOST=1368889162][/DOUBLEPOST]
At my server base I set up a large 11x11x11 stone brick box around a thaumcraft obsidian totems (not sure what they are called, totems around a chest). At the back are turrets from portal gun, front is glass viewers, instant wisp grinder. Got rid of everything but the spawner. Have since added a few tier 5 spawners to the roof. The witches take forever to kill even with 33 turrets shooting them. Chickens on the other hand are funny, most die before hitting bottom. The best part is how cheap the turrets are. Put them behind iron bars and the are protected while still able to function.
Turrets behind iron bars... Intriguing...
More experimentation needed!

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
Making said spawner pretty will be fun. I usually have a glass viewing room where all the mobs roll into to be grinded.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Making said spawner pretty will be fun. I usually have a glass viewing room where all the mobs roll into to be grinded.
That's actually what I'm doing now, however the witches tend to spawn into the viewing room. I intend to solve this with turrets or guardian golems, but is there anyway to get turrets to not shoot you?[DOUBLEPOST=1368889660][/DOUBLEPOST]Okay, the problem with using turrets to kill witches is that picking up the drops becomes complicated. You could argue that you could use transposers or obsidian pipes, but that just becomes messy and complicated.

Using turtles eliminates the problem with their internal storage and the ability to have their cargo extrated with wooden pipes and they hit at around 9 - 10 points per attack according to the Damage Indicator.

lazaruz76

Jul 29, 2019
My spawner has turrets in the back wall behind iron bars, flowing water on the floor leading to 1 transposer. The transposer feeds a chest with a me import bus for my AE system. Tier 5 spawners at the ceiling (10 of them). Plus a vanilla wisp spawner floating in the middle. Originally had a 596 aura node above the wisp spawner but the nodes regened on me. Might move the floor down one and add a retractable RP floor since the turrets seem to be having trouble killing the smaller mobs that get stuck in the middle. Still thinking on that.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
That's actually what I'm doing now, however the witches tend to spawn into the viewing room. I intend to solve this with turrets or guardian golems, but is there anyway to get turrets to not shoot you?[DOUBLEPOST=1368889660][/DOUBLEPOST]Okay, the problem with using turrets to kill witches is that picking up the drops becomes complicated. You could argue that you could use transposers or obsidian pipes, but that just becomes messy and complicated.

Using turtles eliminates the problem with their internal storage and the ability to have their cargo extrated with wooden pipes and they hit at around 9 - 10 points per attack according to the Damage Indicator.
I suppose you could have them spawn on a different pad and conveyor-belt them into a killing area.

lazaruz76

Jul 29, 2019
Omg, is there a way to shut these turrets up? :'D

To my knowledge there is not. If you think that is bad you should see my base. 33 turrets in the grinder and another 12 around my tower on top of a mountain. The tower only occupies 4 chunks so I hear them wherever I go on the ground floor. Thankfully I have about 18 floors above I can go to.

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
You could replace the turret sound files with a blank one I guess

(path) FTB\Pack_Name_Here\minecraft\resources\portalgun\sound\portalgun\turret

I personally replace the sound files with one that says "I'm a derp" because thats what they deserve

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
I've just set up 7 brain-in-a-jar's above the turtles to catch the exp and closed off access to the back of the grinder while the spawner's turned on so that witches don't attack through while you're behind it.

Now I'm gonna make a turtle off switch to have a piston push up blocks underneath turtles so that their programming will stop them from attacking.

Here's their code again.
Code:
while true do
  while turtle.detectDown() ~= true do
    turtle.attack()
  end
end

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Creates mob grinder; Complains about too many drops.

FTB logic
It wouldn't be so bad if witches didn't have so much junk.
Part of me just wants to make an incinerator, but another part of me likes to have the barrels for bragging rights.

(If you're insecure enough to brag about having 1024x64 sticks.)

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
It wouldn't be so bad if witches didn't have so much junk.
Part of me just wants to make an incinerator, but another part of me likes to have the barrels for bragging rights.

(If you're insecure enough to brag about having 1024x64 sticks.)
Well, the gunpowder, glowstone and redstone are really useful, sticks are nice to have around, the potions are OK but a bit meh, but glass bottles and sugar are basically just free scrap.