Speeding up wheat production

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Jayrey

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, so I'm currently doing a purely tech based play through of FTB Infinity, no magic allowed!
I'm wondering what options I have for speeding up wheat growth other than the sprinkler? I know there are ways to do it with blood magic, botania and thaumcraft, but like I said, no magic, so does anyone know of any mods to improve growth speed?

Jayrey

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, I also know about the fertilizer from MFR, just looking for any other options

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Agricraft Sprinklers used to stack. Not sure if that has been addressed. Once your seeds are maxed out, the multiple Sprinklers used to make the crops grow damn near instantly. Add a MFR Fertilizer to the side of the farm for added kick, and you'll never want for wheat again.

Doesn't EnderIO have a way to increase farm speed as well?

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
There's always the vanilla way: Alternate rows.

A row of hydrated farmland that does not have wheat.
A row of hydrated farmland with wheat
A row of hydrated farmland that does not have wheat, and has the occasional water spots.

Doing it this way will double the growth rate of the wheat.

"But it's less than half the amount of wheat". Fine. Make it longer. Spread it out over twice as many chunks.

Now, you have almost the same amount of wheat (8/9ths)
Growing twice as fast for the same amount of ticks
Getting twice as many ticks.

Total speed up: 4 times.

Reactions: Azzanine

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013

A row of hydrated farmland that does not have wheat, and has the occasional water spots.

"But it's less than half the amount of wheat". Fine. Make it longer. Spread it out over twice as many chunks.

AFAIK you can also grow other crops in the rows between the wheat without compromising the growth boost.

It just looks so crap...

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019

I didn't know this was a thing. Does it carry over to Agricraft Crops? Does it only work with wheat? Why am I just hearing about this now?

One of the reasons I love this game. Learning new tricks all the time.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
This is also false economy, as you sacrifice half your farming area for less than a 100% boost in yield. Given most automation options effect a given area rather than individual blocks you'll achieve a much higher yield farming the entire area.

The fertiliser is good due to its long range- one unit can cover an impressive area, with sprinklers to keep the land hydrated.
Theoretically MFR planters, fertilisers and harvesters with 10-10-x Agricraft wheat and sprinklers will yield the most crop per unit area per tick.

However you'll need to workout [empirically test] the optimum number/range of MFR units to ensure minimal waiting between planting/growing/harvesting.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
This is also false economy, as you sacrifice half your farming area for less than a 100% boost in yield. Given most automation options effect a given area rather than individual blocks you'll achieve a much higher yield farming the entire area.

Actually, I don't sacrifice anything.

I have (typically) a row of pumpkins on the outside, to make jack-o-lanterns for light.
Then, rows of wheat, potatoes, carrots
Finally, a row of melons on the other end.

100% of the ground is being used.
It's just not being used for only one crop.

As for why is it done? It represents crop rotations. Heck, in real-world farming, using only food crops results in water table problems -- having a mix of native plants and crop plants helps keep the water table under control, to prevent excessive salt in the ground from a water table that is too high up.

EDIT: And I don't think you understood it right.

If all you do is spread one crop, you are sacrificing 5/9ths of your land for a 100% increase in growth. So your net production is 8/9ths.

But, you get your first produce faster. You get the results of your work sooner.

And, if you spread the same number of crops over more space, then because you are using twice as many chunks, you get twice as many block ticks -- another 100% increase.

So, 100% increase in growth from crop rows.
100% increase in growth from spreading your crops over more land.

Still think that dense farming is superior? As mentioned, put other crops in-between.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I was assuming the OP was after 100% wheat; if the other crops are unneeded then you're wasting 11% (1/9) production. If spread over twice the land then the double tick bonus would also apply to a dense farm too. +11% +11% :p
Though in the context of this thread I was assuming 1-tick/near instant crop growth.​

That aside, I know of a mixed crop bonus- but I didn't know its effectively double. Thanks for the tip :)

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Useful tip, useless for mid to late game though. Where you can force the wheat to grow fast no matter how compact.
But early game that farming method will be great for starter food. I wager that it also synergises with the watering can and on growth tic speederupperers.
Might also be an optimal pattern for MFR biofuel farms.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
A 7 x 7 plot with Agricraft Fertilizers and 10/x3 wheat will output more wheat than you will know what to do with. The MFR Fertilizer with exponentially increase the output. There's not really anything else you NEED to do.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Another thing to consider is the usefulness of a machine over a given area of field. For example, a MFR Harvester working a 9x9 plot is slower than multiple Harvesters working sections of the plot. The reasoning behind this is the machine spending more time searching for a crop to harvest than actually doing its job. If you reduce the area if needs to search, it is able to find the mature crops faster, this increases production.

Reactions: Azzanine