Speed: vanilla tools vs tinkers construct

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DigitalWino

Jul 29, 2019
So I really like the Tinkers Construct tools, and being able to upgrade/mod them, but I'm curious how they compare to vanilla tools (or specifically a diamond pick). Is there a good chart or anything anywhere? I mean the only one that I can find is the one on the wiki just showing the speeds for TC materials.

And as long as I'm at it, how about an Ancient Pickaxe? I got a couple of Ancient items, but can't find any info about them anywhere.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
So I really like the Tinkers Construct tools, and being able to upgrade/mod them, but I'm curious how they compare to vanilla tools (or specifically a diamond pick). Is there a good chart or anything anywhere? I mean the only one that I can find is the one on the wiki just showing the speeds for TC materials.

And as long as I'm at it, how about an Ancient Pickaxe? I got a couple of Ancient items, but can't find any info about them anywhere.
TiC tools are cheaper than vanilla tools, only requiring 2 ingots per full tool. So if you just make the head out of iron, it's vastly better than a vanilla iron pick.
Cobalt is fastest mining speed, manylynn is best durability. Ardite has Stonebound 2 or 3, can't remember which right now. Combine these for a truly amazing pick.
EDIT: What mod are the ancient tools from? I don't know them, I use mostly TiC tools.

DigitalWino

Jul 29, 2019
I know how the TC tools work, they're mostly what I use, so I'm well versed. But I don't know how they compare in speed. TC tools are giving a speed rating that increases as it gets faster. However on the minecraft wiki (the only one I could find for speed of vanilla tools), the timing is based purely how quickly it breaks things, so not a comparable number.

Not sure what mod the Ancient stuff is from, I believe it's all dropped off of named zombies or something. The pick I found had Eff 5, Fortune 3, and Unbreaking 3. But I'm not sure what is used to repair it or anything...

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I know how the TC tools work, they're mostly what I use, so I'm well versed. But I don't know how they compare in speed. TC tools are giving a speed rating that increases as it gets faster. However on the minecraft wiki (the only one I could find for speed of vanilla tools), the timing is based purely how quickly it breaks things, so not a comparable number.

Not sure what mod the Ancient stuff is from, I believe it's all dropped off of named zombies or something. The pick I found had Eff 5, Fortune 3, and Unbreaking 3. But I'm not sure what is used to repair it or anything...
What pack are you using? Also, I'm 99% sure they break a roughly the same speed. Don't have access to my client right now to find out right now though.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Monster pack with Gregtech added. And that what breaks at the same speed? Cobalt and Diamond?
If you are using Monster, WALIA should tell you what mod its from.
Again not sure but I think cobalt breaks faster than diamond.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, not sure what WALIA is... If you mean the thing on the tool tip, it just says minecraft.
Then it's a vanilla tool with custom enchantments added to it, added by a mod. If you know what mods add custom mob drops, you could trace it to one.

DigitalWino

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting. It looks like a gold pickaxe, so I guess that's what it's made of. I also have an Ancient Sword with Sharpness 3, Knockback 2, Unbreaking 3, Plague 3. So the impression I got was that Ancient stuff is fully decked out w enchantments.

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
Those are probably a rogue dungeon drop. Not sure though. And TiCo tools are customizable that's what makes them better. You can make a tool that never breaks or one that breaks a bit faster than vanilla but mines 3x as fast. They are also easier to fix. So as a whole they are better but don't always trump Vanilla. If we could use modifiers for enchants as well, or mix speed and fortune Vanilla tools would never make it past cobble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DigitalWino

Jul 29, 2019
Well, what I'm planning on making is a cobalt pick (maybe hammer, or both), with the RF energy conversion, silk touch, and then the rest as redstone for speed. But I was just curious what the base speed of cobalt vs unenchanted diamond was.

As for the ancient stuff, it's possible it was from a rogue dungeon, I have found one, but I've only done the first floor so far.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
"Ancient" tools are just items special mobs(The mobs from the mod by the same name) use and drop on occasion. They are indeed just vanilla MC tools with enchants and have names.

Personally I'd say cobalt is equivalent to Effi 3 diamond pick. Ardite, an Effi 1 diamond pick. However the speed increase yields diminishing returns. About speed 15 or 17 should be Effi 5 diamond pick. A cobalt head, paper binding, thaum rod can get to around 30 speed though which would probably be Effi 8 or 9 if that existed in vanilla MC(At least legitimately).

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
Ok a cobalt head, obsidian binding and an Ardite handle will give you 50% chance unbreaking through reinforced and Stonebound 2 wich makes it faster the more damage it has. On the wiki thT will give it a speed from 11-14. i believe 9 is vanilla diamond. If you put 2 upgrade modifiers on it you should now have 5 open modifiers. Use 3 with redstone to gain 12 speed and the other 2 you can go flux or diamond or obsidian plates all depends on you. But it is now a 23-26 speed tool.

DigitalWino

Jul 29, 2019
If I'm gonna go with flux though, there is no point to add a diamond or obsidian to it. Because I wont be using the durability of the tool. I could give it stone bound, just so that when I give it the RF it has a little extra speed, but it seems that rather than using a part to give it stone bound, I'd be better off using that part to give it an extra slot for more speed (or some other modifier). Especially because the silktouch modifier gives it -4 speed.

Reactions: kaovalin

Bruigaar

Jul 29, 2019
Well that why I said its your choice. But 3 modifiers of speed is max I believe. Also I always run out of energy when I mine since I tend to strip mine instead of using quarries. So with a full resonant flux battery + 500 durability and 60-70% unbreaking I still come out of a mine with a broken pick and hammer. I also carry 2 miners packs and an ender pouch when I mine. And forget torches if you have AM2 just use the light spell.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Well that why I said its your choice. But 3 modifiers of speed is max I believe. Also I always run out of energy when I mine since I tend to strip mine instead of using quarries. So with a full resonant flux battery + 500 durability and 60-70% unbreaking I still come out of a mine with a broken pick and hammer. I also carry 2 miners packs and an ender pouch when I mine. And forget torches if you have AM2 just use the light spell.

o_O I mined for like 3 hours with just a hardened capacitor with my pick(Btw you get 7 total modifiers with thaum, paper, diamond+gold, nether star which comes up to 5 for speed with a cobalt head that gives 51 28 speed(?) at 8 4 speed per level of haste) though I was caving since ore spawns make strip mining sorta crappy nowadays.

Last edited:

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
o_O I mined for like 3 hours with just a hardened capacitor with my pick(Btw you get 7 total modifiers with thaum, paper, diamond+gold, nether star which comes up to 5 for speed with a cobalt head that gives 51 speed(?) at 8 speed per level of haste) though I was caving since ore spawns make strip mining sorta crappy nowadays.
IIRC there is a new upgrade that takes more gold and a diamond that allows you to add another modifier... also a creative one, that is from the creative menu(duh) and allows for another modifier, costs nothing, and stacks infinitely.

JoeDolca

Jul 29, 2019
The only tools that could ever replace my precious cobalt hammers are the kami awakened ichor tools. For the sole virtue of being unbreakable.

Or, if available, Platinum head/Thaum plate/Obsidian plate/Paper rod hammer with all the extra modifiers and everything poured into reinforced. It'll just reach reinforced 10 (unbreakable!) after a nether star and will have the huge speed of platinum and the power of obsidian. It's good for digging away stone without worrying of stopping to fix your shit, then I can use my good pickaxe to mine anything the hammer can't, which usually doesn't come in large groups anyways.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
The only tools that could ever replace my precious cobalt hammers are the kami awakened ichor tools. For the sole virtue of being unbreakable.
The Pickaxe can also break bedrock and allow you to go to another dimension this way.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
The bedrock pickaxe from rotary craft is also unbreakable. It can also silktouch spawners and goes through dirt and gravel fairly quick.