Sorting with barrels

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
Jul 29, 2019
I have decided to try and make a barrel sorting system for the first time,
but am unsure which pipes/tubes to use
I have barrels stacked on top of each other, which rules out pneumatic tubes (as they need to go into the top)
so are there any pipes than can go to the back of a tube?
if it helps i do have logistics pipes installed as a bonus ^^

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to keep your barrels stacked on top of each others, you also rule out the BC pipes, because they also need to input to the top.

Which leaves you with the router, and the need to pre-fill barrels and to filter what is comming in the router, to prevent jamming.

It can definitely be done (the router is from the same mod, and is supposed to work with barrels), but you definitely need quite a bit more work than what diamond pipes or pneumatic tubes would require.
The plus side being a system quite a bit more compact.

It's really up to you.

Stairmasternem

Jul 29, 2019
With them stacked on top of each other the only ways to input into them is a router. Unfortunately they don't accept any inputs outside the top and bottom.

Routers'll distribute to all the barrels stacked onto each other. It'll be slow without upgrades though.

Jul 29, 2019
With them stacked on top of each other the only ways to input into them is a router. Unfortunately they don't accept any inputs outside the top and bottom.

Routers'll distribute to all the barrels stacked onto each other. It'll be slow without upgrades though.
Wait.. pneumatic tubes can be attached to the bottom of a barrel?

Stairmasternem

Jul 29, 2019
All I remember is Direwolf20's mostly tubeless barrel storage had a router connected at the bottom of a barrel wall. Pne tubes do connect, but I don't think they input from the bottom, only output.... You'll have to double check.

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
Tubes can be attached to the top to put stuff in. Attaching them to the bottom gives you only this "You can store 1 stack and only 1 stack of stuff into a barrel through the bottom" I don't know what good that would do you.

As for a router system. You want an item-filter and tell it to only deal with barrels. You want to insert into top sides of the barrels. You want the bandwidth upgrade and speed upgrade.
To clear jams put a cobble structure pipe on the side of the router with an autarchic gate set to emit redstone signal if inventory empty. Above the gate put a timer set to be stopped while receiving a signal. Set the timer to 4 seconds. Above the router put a filter. Above the filter put your tubing to your chest for the overflow. This will automatically clear your jams. Or you could program a turtle to do it as well.
Seeding the barrels is needed otherwise the router will spread your stuff to the four corners of the globe (barrel room) with seeming little organization.

The thoroughness upgrade is of no use for this, and can be left off. It doesn't do what you think it should do. But it is working as it should.

I recommend you get 1 barrel with 64x64 of cobble, dirt, gravel and then if your using pneumatic tubes - put a filter before your router that intercepts those items and dumps them off to you kill room (lava, crystal, cactus) or your recyclers.

After finishing my room last night, I decided next I want my overflow chests to actually be hooked to an AE system that will store my less used but still useful stuff. Perhaps with a chest that when filled powers up the AE system and when the chest is empty, powers it back down to save power. But I got to get more crystal for this. :)

Also looking into deep storage for possibly dirt, gravel, sand, coal, charcoal, oak since I get a lot of that stuff but don't need immediate access to it.

Have fun!

Reactions: southernfriedbb

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
Barrels are odd, they can take 1 stack of items in through the bottom but no more, so don't set it up that way. The only way to sort into barrels that are directly stacked onto each other is by using a factorization router.

Jul 29, 2019
Tubes can be attached to the top to put stuff in.

As for a router system. You want an item-filter and tell it to only deal with barrels. You want to insert into top sides of the barrels. You want the bandwidth

Have fun!

could you elaborate on this? insert the tubes on the top of a stack of barrels or onto each barrel?

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
Two separate issues. You can use a tube system with a barrels instead of using a router system. And the question about using a tube at the bottom of the barrel and what would happen if you tried it.

Then I went on to discuss a tubeless router system.

---

Let's say you get items from an item tesseract. The tesseract would have a relay on one side and the relay would send stuff through pneumatic tubing. Along the way, a filter should be there to intercept things you don't want going to your routers. Cobble, dirt, gravel, junk...

Then the pneumatic tube gets to the router.

The router is set to Insert - into topsides. The Item Filter upgrade is set for barrels only. The bandwidth and speed upgrades are added too.

The router is touching your wall of barrels so it can put stuff into them. NOTE: If you turn a corner with your wall of barrels, you need something touching both walls of barrels that has an inventory. I use a stone furnace with a piece of cobble in both slots just in case I go stupid and accidentally send stuff into my furnaces when I dorking with router settings.

Now, if an item has no where to go in your barrel system, it will just sit in the router until it is given a place to go or is removed by a filter or a turtle or a player or whatever you want to use to remove stuff from a router with.

I prefer to use a cobble structure pipe with autachic gate. The setting I like on the gate is when inventory empty - send redstone signal. Then above the gate I put a timer set to 4 seconds. When the inventory is empty - the timer is not running. When an item is in the router, the timer starts and 4 seconds later fires off a redstone signal.

Above the router I have a filter that when it receives the signal from the timer, extracts the jammed item and sends it down another tube to my overflow chests.

System works very well. Just keep in mind that the router must touch your barrel system somehow (either directly or through contact with a block that has an inventory (furnace, chests, etc).

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
tube version: items go into the top of barrels:

barrel2.jpg

router version: router has to touch any one barrel and be set to insert into top sides (this one had bandwidth upgrade and the BC pipe/gate is for overflow):

barrel.jpg

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
You didn't have a problem with the pipes like that? I had to use covers on the underside of the barrels to make the system behave.

It's only an issue if the barrels are empty, they'll accept 64 or the first thing that reaches them. Whenever I used that setup I either primed the barrels with 1 of the target item or put a button in the empties until I found something in my overflow chest to put in them.

Fuzzlewhumper

Jul 29, 2019
Heh, scary, I used wooden buttons because I had accidentally shift clicked a stack of the buggers into existence accidentally. :)