Sorting Techniques

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

gremlindan

Jul 29, 2019
My sorting system works more or less like many of the ones that have been posted, sorting machine + barrels, I just added a little tweak. Under every barrel I have a filter + wireless reciever, every reciever has a differn frequency but they all lead to an enderchest. This way I have a good replacement for request pipe for almost every item. Since my base is distributed over 25000 square blocks, it has been necessary to have a way to get every item I need without going back to the storage room.

i like this idea for requesting i may have to try and set one up as it gets very annoying running back to my storage every time i need items

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Ah, I didn't see that you wanted 22 different metals in one chest. That explains. That setup would not work for me due to the quantity of items I have (I have over 128 stacks of iron for example).
Hm. That's a lot of stacks. Why not convert them to blocks? It can be time consuming, I know. It could be automated though. I'd program a Crafty Turtle to take a stack, convert it to 7 blocks, and feed the results into the sorting system when I press a button or flick a lever; and another Crafty to do the reverse. Just dump your spare stacks in the chest and it'll get turned into blocks. Or, the Crafty could be part of the hidden sorting system and all you'd ever see in your chests is blocks, for the metals that you have plenty of. You'd just need to dump the surplus back into the sorting system when you'd used some.

Of course, not everyone likes turtles.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
A single barrel with extradimensional upgrade can hold like 1024 units so I have plenty of room to spare ;)

Delcar

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, it's any machine connected to an adjacent machine on that side. You can see more complicated builds use wooden chests as bridges and making u-turns, curves, and branches (using the machine filter to prevent populating the chests). It's too bad that's so inelegant-looking, because it's a flippin' powerful concept.

Cheap and easy corner filler for my setup (pre-machine filter) are furnaces. Toss in enough charcoal to have a stack of cobble turned into stone that you leave in the output, fill the other slots with cobble (I bet you can spare it) and you're good.

Hm. That's a lot of stacks. Why not convert them to blocks? It can be time consuming, I know. It could be automated though. I'd program a Crafty Turtle to take a stack, convert it to 7 blocks, and feed the results into the sorting system when I press a button or flick a lever; and another Crafty to do the reverse. Just dump your spare stacks in the chest and it'll get turned into blocks. Or, the Crafty could be part of the hidden sorting system and all you'd ever see in your chests is blocks, for the metals that you have plenty of. You'd just need to dump the surplus back into the sorting system when you'd used some.

Of course, not everyone likes turtles.

...or use the Factorization packager to mash them into blocks.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
A single barrel with extradimensional upgrade can hold like 1024 units so I have plenty of room to spare ;)

I was wondering about that limit. Do they still explode if you try and over fill them?

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I was wondering about that limit. Do they still explode if you try and over fill them?

I hope not because then somewhere this weekend our server will probably well...die :)

I have 3 upgraded barrels in a row accepting the overflow of my charcoal input for my boiler. THe first one now has about 500 stacks and I won't be able to log in for the coming next 4 days or so :)

Delcar

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think so. I should be able to test this this weekend, so I'll report back.

RE: Quartz auto sorting with routers - how is everyone managing it? I have a couple different barrels with 2 of X kinds of quartz...

Summit

Jul 29, 2019
You mean XYcraft Quartz? I keep one stack in a junk chest and the rest I've been sorting into a lava pit.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
You mean XYcraft Quartz? I keep one stack in a junk chest and the rest I've been sorting into a lava pit.

Actually quartz is more useful than people might think in the more recent updates. I use a lot of mine:
  1. Simple trashcan. Same principle as cactus, but even safer and easier.
  2. Low-level light. A few of these and you're just above monster spawning levels. Ideal for low-light crops.
  3. Liquid detectors use them. So that's fincredible.
  4. Simple mob-moats. Again, not as fiddly as cactus.
I've probably gone through several stacks in various ways.

Delcar

Jul 29, 2019
I use some - didn't know about the liquid detectors - but I'd like to not have 6 barrels devoted to them.

Delcar

Jul 29, 2019
If only I had that much xyores. :( I keep running out of the colors I need!
Clarification: 6 barrels devoted to quartz, that I occasionally shift-right click down manually.

I know from your other posts elsewhere you avoid 'cheaty' mining (dense ores) but I find I still have quite a bit with 'just' conventional quarries in the 'real' (non-mystcraft) ages; what is using all your xyores? I haven't even looked at Liquid detectors, since I've been happy with liquiducts and various tank setups already.

I am however starting a floating mages tower predominately made from Dark Xy bricks.

I'm playing the DW20 pack.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I know from your other posts elsewhere you avoid 'cheaty' mining (dense ores) but I find I still have quite a bit with 'just' conventional quarries in the 'real' (non-mystcraft) ages; what is using all your xyores?

Building materials, fabricators, valves, liquid detectors. Building materials in particular are expensive. Especially shields, which I've been using extensively for their superior blast resistance compared to traditional reactor casings (and becuase I've yet to invest in Thaumcraft in my new world, and those are even more expensive!).

I haven't even looked at Liquid detectors, since I've been happy with liquiducts and various tank setups already.

Xycraft tanks are awesome whenever you want to move liquids around and monitor them. But you still use liquiducts and friends.

Delcar

Jul 29, 2019
I've gone the other way - heavy Thaumcraft, and I've never really enjoyed IC2 (lost a machine one time to many when I tried to move it) so I've barely ever made reactors and the like.

Right now, I'm using mostly redpower and golems for automation, so my power needs are pretty low - and therefore I'm not stockpiling a lot of fluids yet - the biomass and lava are getting used up about as quick as I generate them - however the railcraft tanks are cumbersome - I may dive into xycraft.

Delcar

Jul 29, 2019
I just nipped over to see what the Xycraft plates and shields look like - I'm definitely working them into my build for aesthetic reasons.

Anyway, back on topic, I've been using a lot of golems for sorting, and I've been playing around a bit with access lines for them - like having them under the floor, or running around behind the row of chests - but I'm having some pathing issues where they trip over each other. I've unlocked the higher tier smarter golems, but haven't messed with them much yet. Anyone using them?

Summit

Jul 29, 2019
I was but they get caught on RP2 micro blocks so avoid those and there is a bug where the golems load before the world does which causes the golems to fall through the world and die. I got tired of replacing them, so until that bug is addressed golems are out for me.