Sorting system comparisons

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Can you tell me how to do this, I know logistic pipes well and have used teleport pipes to request things but have no idea how to do it from an enderpouch... please elaborate.
I'd guess that you keep a logistics pipe and teleport pipe in the pouch, so you can plonk a "request station" down anywhere for a give project.

FMAylward

Jul 29, 2019
Can you tell me how to do this, I know logistic pipes well and have used teleport pipes to request things but have no idea how to do it from an enderpouch... please elaborate.

Maybe it detects the pouches as a chest and because of how they are linked it things they are the same thing so will send the item to a chest that matches the pouches colour. Maybe just try hooking up an ender chest to the system, get a pouch with the same code, walk off somewhere and then just use the request remote and see if it works.

Zivel

Jul 29, 2019
but the requester has to hit a pipe? Can I attach a pipe to an enderchest and request through it? Damn! I had never thought of that..... Going to need an energy supply though for my one pipe. Hmmm.... pity I am away from MC at the moment. (and LP is not in FTB >.<)

FMAylward

Jul 29, 2019
I have never actually used the remote requester but seen it used in a let's play. It looked like if you didn't use it on a pipe then it would just place the requested items in the closest chest to the position you requested it.

If the LP network was connected to say a white coded ender chest and the closest "chest" to you was a white coded pouch wouldn't it just place the items into the white chest?

Zivel

Jul 29, 2019
I have never actually used the remote requester but seen it used in a let's play. It looked like if you didn't use it on a pipe then it would just place the requested items in the closest chest to the position you requested it.

If the LP network was connected to say a white coded ender chest and the closest "chest" to you was a white coded pouch wouldn't it just place the items into the white chest?
Really? Its puts it in a chest? I thought you had to hit a log pipe with it, no... I knew you had to hit a log pipe with it. When did this change?

FMAylward

Jul 29, 2019
No idea but the Let's play I saw that did this was in 1.2.5 and used normal not ender chests so no idea if it still works like that.

Edit: ok might stand corrected here but playing about with a 1.2.5 version you can't call items directly to a chest but items will go into a chest next to a pipe where you call them, I guess that is just what was happening in the let's play I saw. They were also not ender chest aware in that version so couldn't link back to the network through them.

Though that teleport pipe idea suggestion worked for sure in the old version as I actually used that one in my multi building fort I had so I could access my stuff from anywhere in it.

thatsIch

Jul 29, 2019

you put a remote request pipe up to an enderchest. link up your request remote to the pipe. link up your enderpouche to the enderchest and voilá. its all in LP, no need for Addtional Pipes

but if you like tp pipes more, you can do the same with tp pipes though you have to setup your other tp pipe all time and if you dont do it all items are lost ^^

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
On the question of being able to request specific items in RedPower, you would need to use the new Sortron to be able to do so. I am thinking that managers would be used to keep chests stocked with specific items, whereas each chest would have a sortron that is connected to a computer.
I am actually working on a program that will be able to call ANY item in any quantity, as long as a) you have enough of that item, and b) you have a variable with that item's name (simple enough). Also, if I can get it tested, a system that will allow you to automatically craft the items that you need, as well. So far, I have the code for the calling system 100% complete and tested, whereas the crafting system is about 95% done, and needs some testing. I'll post a video of it later on, though today isn't exactly feasible! =)

Rulerxx

Jul 29, 2019
Well im not sure if anyone uses the method i use but the method i use is actually very cheap to make (besides the diamond chests), and i use the gregtech 'electric sorter' they offer 9 different items to be sorted per chest, and they are very very simple to use, you can also expand the 9 items per chest to more if you are a little bit more advanced, they only require a little bit of eu (From what ive seen its around 32eu/t while they have an item to sort, as soon as it sorts it it doesent need anymore power) I personally prefer this over any method.

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
thank you very much for your work to put it up together, though I'm kinda missing the "remote" part of it :3
with LP you have a remote in your hand and with an enderpouche you can request anything you want from every point in the world as long your base is loaded (super handy cause you dont have to go back to your base for every lil itchy thing which you are missing)

and I watched DW20's spotlights of the new update but nothing like that was introduced

Ah, apologies. I thought you meant remote as in not having to go to the source chest (ie, remotely through the tube network). It wouldn't be quite as dynamic, but you could keep an ender pouch stocked with things you commonly need- diamonds, redstone, bricks, etc. And just pull from that bag wherever you are. Have the corresponding chest attached to a Manager and make sure the chunk is loaded and it will keep itself stocked with what you tell it to. I remember DW doing this in one of his LP series (Season 4?) using logistics pipes and ender storage.

BrickedKeyboard

Jul 29, 2019
Here's how you can do autocrafting with redpower and either Gregtech or Tubestuff :

The advantage over Logistics Pipes is there is 0 chance of an item spill under any circumstances, and Eloraam is a better programmer so it is possible that it is less buggy. Also, mag tubes are faster than even diamond pipes.

How this works : for test purposes, the inputs are those 3 manager/diamond chests on the left. They have a priority of 0. The managers on the bottom pull items from the input to keep their respective autocrafting table stocked with raw materials. Those managers have a priority of 1. The managers on top supply any managers that wants the PRODUCT of autocrafting with that product. They have a priority of 0, and there is 1 instance of the item that
table makes in the slot so that they can "take back" unwanted instances of that item. Basically, the top managers have their gui in the "circular arrow" mode, the bottom managers are in the default exact stack mode.

Finally, the output. For a real build in survival, you'd want there to just be a few chests somewhere in the system where every single thing the factory makes is kept stocked in a few conveniently accessible chests. You stick a manager on each of those chests, and put however much of each item you want to keep in that chest in the manager's GUI.

So, for an example : as you can see, this factory needs the following items in order to be expanded :

1. Autocrafting Table. 2. Mag Accelerator 3. Mag Tube 4. Manager 5. Glass fiber (gregtech tables require power to run)

There's a complex multistep process to make each of these things, but once you have all that automated, you just have a single chest where a manager keeps it stocked with 1 stack of each.

One slight variant I found out that is not in this screenshot : stick a buffer between the top of the autocraft table from gregtech and the manager. Gregtech tables auto-output to that slot. This buffer helps it handle non-stacking
output items better, because if the manager "takes back" an output, it can go into the slots in the buffer.

2012-12-22_11.30.14.png

thatsIch

Jul 29, 2019
I have to give credits for the looks. looks pretty awesome and stylish ^^
but I'll stick with LPs since remote request is just too handy, maybe overpowered but I got annoyed opening and closing my doors over and over again xD
maybe elo will add something like that in another pre-release of RP2

BrickedKeyboard

Jul 29, 2019
Did you carefully read my post? There's a central location in this design that you go to, and you can get anything made by the system. I remember what remote request is now.

With that said, you do have to have an instance of the item you are requesting to retrieve it or get it with a manager. The sortron can't remote pull.

myrilla

Jul 29, 2019
I think there isn't much debate that Logistics Pipes makes the best Crafting/Request system but in my experience using it as part of other packs it could be a bit unweildy if you combined a sorting system, a crafting bank/request system, and a bunch of auto-suppliers (for say, forestry farms.)

There is no reason these systems can't be combined! My last setup (back in 1.2.5 on a self-configured pack with the "Unofficial" Logistics pipes) used Railcraft+Mystcraft for long distance/interage item moving (I had a mining age, a void/forestry age, and a void/base/processing age), a RP2 processing/sorting system for ores/forestry production, and a crafting bank that connected to the back-end of the sorting system. This allowed me to keep the crafting bank focused on my requests (and keeping a small number of "pickup" chests to supply the farms provisioned) and kept the craft bank from being flooded with ores every time the carts came home.

Really it comes down to the size of your system and your specific needs. Any of those sorting systems can be made to do a fine job (hell, with insertion pipes and chests as buffers you can conquer most overflow issues with JUST BuildCraft) and they are all FUN!

I'm really looking forward to using Thermal Expansion more, it'll eliminate alot of the nuisance/space consumption of my old RP2 + IC2 processing systems. I've just gotta learn to be better with BC power gen. I don't want to abuse the hell out of electrical engines and solar panels!

runlvlzero

Jul 29, 2019
Someone here on these forums mentioned that in lieu of RP, Railcraft approached that level of precision for sorting systems.

I started a new world in the Magic Pack and decided to go strictly Forestry/RC/TE as much as I could. Set up a Forestry tower for perpetual energy using rails and carts for item transportation, and it's amazing. It's actually a lot of fun watching carts whizzing around. The item loaders and unloaders come pretty close to the precision you can get out of RP Sorting Machines and filters. They'll never be as compact and not as speedy, but they're fun to build.

Not a single BC pipe to be seen.

This is great, awesome =) I like doing this the hard way for the fun of it too. Though factorizations routers and barrels make the most sense to me, this looks like a real fun and educational project.

thatsIch

Jul 29, 2019
Did you carefully read my post? There's a central location in this design that you go to, and you can get anything made by the system. I remember what remote request is now.

With that said, you do have to have an instance of the item you are requesting to retrieve it or get it with a manager. The sortron can't remote pull.

yea dont know why, but about a dozen of people tend to overlook the "remote" part :3

€: has someone found a way to autocraft MFE's or stuff like that, which has unstackable ingrediences (energy crystal in case of MFE)?

Rick

Jul 29, 2019
Iron pipes either won't go into the inventory in the first place, or will pop out when the inventory is full. Other pipes will choose another path for the items if the inventory is full, but only 50% of items that should go into the inventory actually will - the other 50% will choose the other path.

I suppose one could use Iron pipes + gates + diamond pipes (iron pipe next to inventory with gate on it - if inventory is full change route to overflow), but at that point it's simpler to just go with diamond pipes on the inventory itself. (One nice and little-known feature of diamond pipes is that if an item cannot go down the marked path due to the inventory being full, it will go down the default route instead.)

There is in fact a way to sort with BC pipes that won't drop excess items, but it's annoying to say the least, and it isn't space-efficient. Alternate obsidian pipe-gold pipe - nothing, with the inventory in question connected to the gold pipe. If the inventory can accept the item from the gold pipe, it will, otherwise it will skip to the next obsidian pipe due to the speedup of the gold pipe. You can also do this downwards with anything that can accept items from the side (not barrels unfortunately) - as obsidian pipes don't connect to each other, just stack a bunch of obsidian pipes vertically connected directly to chests or whatever and drop items from the top. They'll go into the first valid inventory.

Iron pipes work i always use them at inventories and items never pop out. Items will bounce back if the inventory is full.

solidity

Jul 29, 2019
TBH, i wouldn't recommend any kind of piping that either places an item in the right container or loops / bounces them around. Whether you have a large amount of items lying around on the floor or bouncing through pipes is probably not much of a difference in terms of induced lag.
For my current sorting, I use two rows of barrels in a 7x7 U-shape with a line of diamond pipes on top. This works well as long as you keep items at speed with goldpipes in the corners.
Later on I plan on replacing all the diamond pipes with more barrels and use Factorization routers to do my sorting.

thatsIch

Jul 29, 2019
TBH, i wouldn't recommend any kind of piping that either places an item in the right container or loops / bounces them around. Whether you have a large amount of items lying around on the floor or bouncing through pipes is probably not much of a difference in terms of induced lag.
For my current sorting, I use two rows of barrels in a 7x7 U-shape with a line of diamond pipes on top. This works well as long as you keep items at speed with goldpipes in the corners.
Later on I plan on replacing all the diamond pipes with more barrels and use Factorization routers to do my sorting.

items in tubes are rendered and handled different than items lying around.
you can setup a small test
drop 10.000 items on the ground. I can tell you the lag is horrible
drop 10.000 into pipes. This isnt that bad

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
items in tubes are rendered and handled different than items lying around.
you can setup a small test
drop 10.000 items on the ground. I can tell you the lag is horrible
drop 10.000 into pipes. This isnt that bad

Well the problem still is 5 items in pipes is better than 500 items in pipes. I did the test in 1.2.5 and will propably test it now again (I did the test for 1.4.5, but I have no Redpower for that version). And LP badly lose to Redpower in terms of performance. I guess you won't reach the point of remarkably FPS-loss in SSP (if you do not supply Casucs with them), but if the system grew larger LP gets slower and slower, since LP was SSP only it was no big deal. The downside of RP is timers, they cause lots of lag if run too fast (exspecially 0,2s, with 2sec it works fine), but if you avoid lots of them and build compact RP is a lot faster.

Logi-Pipes improved in 1.4.5 although it still gets slower on large scale but not as much as in 1.2.5. I still doubt that it wins against Redpower in terms of performance. You have to be much more careful about what you do to avoid lag than you have to with redpower. I won't repeat what RG said, because it could basically translate into the current release of LP is shit and there was a reason why krapht trashed it, but I'm curious about Kraphts new take on LogisticPipes.