Sorting Machine

Scalion

Jul 29, 2019
Hello
I'm new to FTB and i'm trying to figure out how to filter and sort all item.
I heard about Sorting machine of red power, however i have some issue.

I don't understand how to put more then 48 different item in the same chest with that.
Also i do not have much space to build stuff. All machine most be hidden (i often use cover to hide stuff)

In some chest i have a lot of different stuff and i have around 50 chest in total.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I don't quite understand why you want to use a sorter to stuff 48 items in the same chest?

What's typically done is to have a few sorters in-line and have them sort out items out of a stream. What's left (unsorted) you can then pass into a 'leftover' chest.

Just some pictures of chests doesn't help anyone BTW.

Scalion

Jul 29, 2019
Wow great video !
Unfortunatly i did the setup he show in the video, but didn't wor for me, dunno if it's because old version but i figure out another way to do !

I realy hate to filter all small piece of item that you cut with a handsaw arrggg, need so much sorting !

KhrFreak

Jul 29, 2019
you can put those pieces back together into a single block assuming you have enough pieces, or at least into bigger pieces. (two covers into a panel etc.)

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
If you are rich enough, use Managers, they are an upgrade to Sorting Machines and have many extra features
Skip to 22:00 for his run-down on how to use it

Scalion

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you very much for this great video !
However i don't fully understand why Manager are "upgrade", the way i look it is; contain only 24 space when sorting have 40.
My main problem is to sort all item into around 50 chest. I don't see how i can do that with Manager, and there no other video with a different setup.

I'm currently having a problem with a machine in particular, every machine has the "same" kind of setup, but for some reason this machine Jam every time he reconize one of he's item. I have absolutly no clue one, i spent hour to understand why this machine jam every time, i deleted then rebuild,, i also try to remove the restriction tube, doesn't change anything...
I'm considering that it may be a bug, a bug that prevent me to keep me going with this section of project. But if someone understand by looking those screenshot, please don't hesitate :)

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
but a sorting machine can sort 40 items into 8 different chests, the manager can sort 24 items per 1 chest

Scalion

Jul 29, 2019
So if you have more then 24 item for 1 chest you can't use manager (right?).
when this happen i just put another Sorting machine for the same chest.

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
Additionally, the Manager can precisely control exactly how much of any item is held in an inventory and will remove any excess, as well as fill the inventory with specific items to meet the specified requirements. The Manager is definitely much more powerful than the Sorting Machine, although the SM certainly isn't bad!

What the Manager is not is a Sorting Machine, though. It can be used to sort, but it's not designed for it in particular.

Meara

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure if i understood the problem correctly. but ill give it a shot any way. I'm sorry if I'm completely wrong.

You should try to set up sorting machines in a line. like .. All items go in to Sorting machine A.. then in B, then in C.
So A will sort sending it to its colors.. then every thing not in its list, will be sent to B, and so on so forth. This dose make it suck up more space, but as long as you have a default every thing else color then eventually ever thing will be sorted.

Sorting Machines can also act as filters if the items are already in the system (Tube network) but still require bluetric power. So of you need all slots. its best to just have the item(s) pass threw.

Managers are a great alternative to this, for those who do not know FORTH. As they managed 24 Items per inventory as Vike Said before. They still require bluetric power but no pulse.
If you know FORTH there is that new machine (It's name evades my mind at the moment) can sort as many items you want to a max of 16 chests (max no. of colors).

Oh Machines Jam if A. They cant send an item any where, or Be red-stone pulse is too fast. From the pictures doesn't really tell me much.. I'd need to look a bit more closely. but from what i see, it shouldn't jam.

Scalion

Jul 29, 2019
I feel like the manager should be a new kind of machine, Sorting machine and Manager have a bit different purpose, this is why i didn't understand the "upgrade" part.

Meara, first thank you for trying !
My machine are actualy doing what you saying, it's hard to tell with all those pipe and stuff but it's basicly doing this in line, kinda like spiral actualy.
For the A and B reason; He have a color where to go, so that's ok.
But
For the red stone pulse too fast, well i don't have any of those, all i do is choosing the 4 green arrow with yellow dot in the GUI of the sorting machine, if i understood correctly it kinda do like a pulse. So, may be there a problem there ? I will investigate tomorrow.

But the thing is, i don't understand why this machine in particular don't want to work, he's no different then others =/
Edit, here other screenshot

Here another setup of another machine, they are pretty much all like this.

potter

Jul 29, 2019
The only reason it jams is if it has no valid inventory to go to. That sorter spits out orange, green, dark green and grey.
Grey has a valid path but the other 3 colours does not. You've painted all available routes with white/light grey/grey, stopping the other colours from going anywhere. Colour X can only go through its own colour and non-painted tubes. Even if you have those 3 colours further down your path, it won't reach it due to other painted tubes stopping them.
So unless i'm missing something here, that's your problem.

Meara

Jul 29, 2019
I feel like the manager should be a new kind of machine, Sorting machine and Manager have a bit different purpose, this is why i didn't understand the "upgrade" part.

Meara, first thank you for trying !
My machine are actualy doing what you saying, it's hard to tell with all those pipe and stuff but it's basicly doing this in line, kinda like spiral actualy.
For the A and B reason; He have a color where to go, so that's ok.
But
For the red stone pulse too fast, well i don't have any of those, all i do is choosing the 4 green arrow with yellow dot in the GUI of the sorting machine, if i understood correctly it kinda do like a pulse. So, may be there a problem there ? I will investigate tomorrow.

But the thing is, i don't understand why this machine in particular don't want to work, he's no different then others =/
Edit, here other screenshot
<image Snip>
<Image Snip>
<image Snip>
Here another setup of another machine, they are pretty much all like this.
What I mean by Pulse is having it hooked up to a timer. IF the items are already in a tube, it isnt needed, and I would advise not useing it any way (Timers can lag ya out)
The only reason it jams is if it has no valid inventory to go to. That sorter spits out orange, green, dark green and grey.
Grey has a valid path but the other 3 colours does not. You've painted all available routes with white/light grey/grey, stopping the other colours from going anywhere. Colour X can only go through its own colour and non-painted tubes. Even if you have those 3 colours further down your path, it won't reach it due to other painted tubes stopping them.
So unless i'm missing something here, that's your problem.
True point there but i don't see those colors listed.
And I think that posting how all the sorting machines are hooked up would be a lot of images to sort threw.

Ill show ya a picture (from a sorting machine in a chain working) (test world)
SM.png

The Colors marked in Red here are the items sorted. They can only go threw "colorless tubes" or tubes of their own color, and will not pass threw tubes of ANY other color.
The Box marked in Green is the "Everything Else" Color. this should be going to another sorting machine to be sorted (Or a misc chest). then every thing listed above the "Red Box" should have access to a "color-less tube" until it reaches the desired chest and the tube connecting to the chest should be colored with the desired color.

So something like this for chests.
SMChests.png

the colorless tube on the bottom is the In coming in from the sorting machine and they sort out just fine.
Hopefully I was a little more helpful :confused:

That would be the sortron
Thank ya kind sir. :)

EDIT:
I went a head and tried to replicate what you had, and find a solution. here are images of what i came up with.

Front from intake side (Relay is In) (White pipe is a bluetric Jacketed wire for power)
2013-02-03_04.05.59.png

Left Side (Colored tubes are intakes to Sorting machines, Color-Less are the Outtakes and the sorted items rout)
2013-02-03_04.06.04.png

Right Side Colored tubes are intakes and... well i said it before..
2013-02-03_04.05.52.png

Back Side displaying the "To the Chests" Tubes
2013-02-03_04.06.09.png

No restriction tubes, or timers necessary. :p

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
After a very careful look at the screenshots and deciphering the specific functions of your system, I noticed there's an Orange-flagged sorting column with no items in it.

Everything else seems to be set up correctly, even the default colour flag is set. I'm guessing the default flag and the blank column are crashing it because by its own internal logic it could make random items both grey and orange?

Scalion

Jul 29, 2019
Nan i removed the orange flag in the column, didn't change anything.
Thx Maera, i think you got it right.
I guess we will never know why the machine was jaming =/

Meara

Jul 29, 2019
Nan i removed the orange flag in the column, didn't change anything.
Thx Maera, i think you got it right.
I guess we will never know why the machine was jaming =/
Think it just didn't have any ware to go. :) happy to help