[SOLVED] Out of Memory: perm gen space -> caused by corrupted world

Status
Not open for further replies.

XxAdminChillaxX

Jul 29, 2019
Hello everyone. I was send here from the modpack bug section.
Now ill hope that somebody can help me.
So first here are the specs:
Direwolf20-1_5 pack
version: 1.1.1 / 1.1.2 ( explanation follows )

Now the problem:
My server and my world runs fine on version 1.1.1. But yesterday i wanted to build a logistics - pipes system. I realized i couldnt craft any logistics - pipes items. A quick look revealed: LP wasnt installed on the server. So... installed it quickly and...
Out of Memory: Perm gen space.
Then i tried version 1.1.2 hoping it would work. It didnt. For testing purposes, i created a new fresh world on version 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 and tried it. both servers runned fine.
So the logic guess here is that my world must be corrupt kinda.
My question is: Are there any ways to save the world or save the most important chunks of the world and maybe "de- corrupt" it that way?
Any help is much appreciated.
regards, Marc

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Your world isn't corrupt. The .bat (or.sh if your using nix) needs -XX:permSize=128m added to it.

XxAdminChillaxX

Jul 29, 2019
a quick update:
it was NOT my corrupted world. i started a new one ( i wanted to put schematics from my old world in there ) but the server crashed BEFORE i put the schematics in it. so just a "vanilla" dw20 world.
And again... out of memory perngen size. i figured out that the mod that causes the crash is logistics pipes. with it it crashes, without it it doesnt. so i tried the newest dev build -> crash. then i tried the recommended version AND IT WORKED. but then i placed down my first pipe it wasnt visible. and a few second after that the server crashed. but it was not the out of memory crash. it was a different one.
heres the pastebin link: http://pastebin.com/TwpQ7KVD

XxAdminChillaxX

Jul 29, 2019
the buildcraft version is from the modpack. but as i said, the LP version from the modpack crashed the game so i downloaded an older one ( the recommenden one. 0.7.3.6 )
alright, so these version are not compatible, alright. but when i use the version from the pack ( 0.7.dev.622 ) the game crashes. when i use the newest version ( 0.7.dev.632 ) the game crashes too.
thats why i tried the older recommended.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
i know most of the servers need to have permsize added to them. you can try to use my jvm arguments listed under my profile > information. they may help you. so far though, your the only report i've seen of this happening.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019

Ray Herring

Jul 29, 2019
We too were having this issue on our server with the Direwolf20 1.5 pack (Version 1.1.1), williewillus on the IRC channel however pointed out about upping the MaxPermSize and since then the issue has basically disappeared.

If you want to find out where issues are present on your server, i highly recommend sk89q (WorldEdit creator)'s profiling jar called 'WarmRoast', you can even tell it where to find the MCP mappings for the MC version you have, when you run it, and go to the webserver port it gives you, you can view a trace of everything that was happening up to the moment the snapshot was taken, really really really handy stuff.

Reactions: Eyamaz

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
The first thing jprofiler tells me when I attach it to the server is "not enough permgen allocated for the garbage collector."

I have every server side mod enabled.

XxAdminChillaxX

Jul 29, 2019
so, some questions:

when i download the 1.1.1 pack, LP is NOT in the server pack. thats why 1.1.1 runs without any problems. however, in 1.1.2 it is in there. thats why it crashes when i start the server. yesterday i took LP out of the mods and it worked. so it is a problem with LP. version 0.7.dev.622 ( in 1.1.2 ) causes the crash and 0.7.dev632 causes crash too. the recommended version ( 0.7.6.3 ) works but since it is not compatible with the buildcraft version installed it crashes when LP calls an old removed buildcraft method.

So far, so good. i can play 1.1.2 without any problems, but without LP too :(

But direwolf´s spotlights on LP made me really wanna play that mod :D it is sooo awesome.

so i will give you some additional information here:
My system:
Sapphire Radeon 7970GHZ vapor- x 3gb
intel core i7 3820 ( lga 2011 )
kingston hyper x 16Gb
Windows 7 professional

STARTUP-SCRIPT.bat -> java -Xms4096M -Xmx8G -jar ftbserver.jar -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -XX:permSize=128m nogui

this is pretty weird now. i wanted to crash the server with LP to give you the logs but then... the server crashed. But not because of LP, it seems it crashed because of Computercraft.
Anyways, here are the logs WITH a computer placed in the world and with LP: server log: http://pastebin.com/jrhu7pW4; FML - server - 0 ( just the last things, pastebin doesnt let me post the whole thing ):
http://pastebin.com/NwCsUvkB
different logs werent created.
And now the crash logs WITHOUT a computer placed in the world:
server log: http://pastebin.com/ZbqsJWsN; FML - server - 0 ( just the last things, pastebin doesnt let me post the whole thing ): http://pastebin.com/GMJarfhj
its not relevant probably, but the only thngs i modified are: thermal expansion ore spawns, forestry apiculture -> beekeeping to EASY.
the same crashes happen when i use 100% default cfg´s though.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Increase your maxpermsize to about 1024. The more RAM you give JAVA the more problems you are going to see. If you don't adjust other things in tandem, your going to keep throwing errors.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
thats really strange. i spent 4 hours profiling the unleashed server yesterday with -Xms4096m -Xmx4096m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m nogui with all the mods from the pack minus clientside only mods (copied them over, dont know why they are not all in the server download) and had no issues. try those arguments and let me know.

edit. i just reread your arguments. you have to put the maxpermsize and permsize arguments before the -jar argument or they are not read by the JVM as JVM arguments. anything after -jar ftbserver.jar is passed as a command to the server (like nogui)

Reactions: Vauthil

XxAdminChillaxX

Jul 29, 2019
Eyamaz, i LOVE you :D ( no homo^^ )
it seems to work now. maxsize 1024 and everything runs great!. WITH a computer in the world.
if the problem occours again ill post here. for now, i think its done. :)
" i spent 4 hours profiling[...]" really? that is awesome man! i really have to thank you ;) i kinda feed like you earned a gift or something ;)
tell me when you are streaming again, ill definetly watch it. du you have yt too?

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Np. I do have a yt, but I haven't posted anything on it in, 5 years I think. Still has a few karaoke videos on it.

Streaming I will be doing around midnight EST. Once I fully get back on my normal sleep schedule.

Reactions: Vauthil
Status
Not open for further replies.