[SOLVED]Infinity "Can't Keep Up" Error

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not posting this under bugs because it's more troubleshooting than a bug but if the pack developers could weigh in that would be awesome.

For about the last week I've been getting the dreaded "can't keep up, skipping x ticks" messaged spammed in my console. This is driving me nuts as my minecart sytem and all entity movement is jerky.

First and foremost it is NOT the server being overloaded, it happens in SSP(max 70% cpu AND 40% ram), on a server with client on same PC(max 60% cpu and 45% ram), on a server with client on a different PC(100% cpu and 80% ram, old laptop just to test...) and finally on a Creeperhost Zombie server(max 70% cpu and 55% ram).

Opis shows nothing, tick rate is fine at between 10 and 20, FPS is fine, max tick time for a tile entity is 80us and entity entity 150us. So nothing unusual.

Removed anything loading in other dimensions(was only pump in the nether), still the same.

I've removed any edits to the modpack I made, reloaded the world and it still happens so it's a stock Infinity issue somewhere.

Used Java 8_40 and 8_45 on the home servers and the Creeperhost server uses 8_25(I think)

Tried updating Fastcraft, same issue.

I'm at my wits end PLSE HULP!!!!!! IT ARE NO WRK!!!!

Last edited:

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
what version of Infinity are you running? and have you perhaps enabled, disabled or added certain mods?

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019

I have, but reverted all the changes and I'm still getting the error.

As you can see it's constant and I've no idea why!?!?!?!? This is with no one logged in as well....

server problem.png

Last edited:

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Cutting down the world size to just the chunks around my base doesn't help either.

Easiest way to explain it is that the server thinks it's overloaded and doing what it's supposed to do(skip ticks to get to where it's supposed to be), however it still has plenty of processing power left to use.

I honestly haven't a clue what may be doing this.

Last edited:

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Our Resurrection server did this after about two weeks of play. It never got better, and we still don't know what caused it to happen. We're running an Infinity server on the same server now without any issue.

I know this doesn't answer you, but I feel you should know you aren't alone. I'll be watching this to see if it is avoidable or even fixable (I rather liked my base in that world, and would like to see it again).

Acredium

Jul 29, 2019
I have a Infinity server running at Creeperhost as well. I keep getting those messages as well. Using the Tickdynamic mod did smooth it out a bit (less messages but still some) for me. Maby give that a try.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
@Inaeo what eventually killed the server and how long did it take to die?

@Acredium, I'll give it a go and see what happens

For anyone reading this has NOTHING to do with Creeperhost, they have been nothing short of awesome since the time I moved my server to them.

This is a modpack(maybe not since resurrection had the same issue),a mod ossue or a world problem

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
The majority of our players were sick of GT. That's what killed it, really. But several of our players were bogged down by even simple machine lines in their bases. The server owner world edited out our community building in a backup, but still got the ticks skipped.

This was all the reason we needed to swap packs when Infinity landed.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Ok good to hear the skipped ticks didn't kill it.

Ok thnx, I'm gonna try track the issue down on mon if it kills me... will update thread.

Anyone else experienced this or have any tips?

Equitime

Jul 29, 2019
I have this on my server. Removed chicken chunks as it was causing problems so there is hardly any bases loaded (players have wandered off). It's an excellent creeperhost server so the server itself is not the problem. Am getting a lot of this spam too. Would be very interesting to see what is causing it. My server can be used for testing if needed.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
I removed chunkloaders too and did a basic test of using player loaded chunks to see what may be causing the problem but couldn't find anything.

Going to do a much more methodical test on mon using MCedit to delete chunks and track it down. But I don't think it's a specific build, rather something in the code doing weird things. If i don't track it down will start pulling mods

Reactions: Inaeo

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Found it!

Applied Energistics interface with a crafting card requesting something the system can't craft because it doesn't have supply.

Removed 1 ME cable and everything was perfect again, no jerky movement and no more errors, server CPU with no one logged in has also dropped 20%.

So server owners, now you know.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Found it!

Applied Energistics interface with a crafting card requesting something the system can't craft because it doesn't have supply.

Removed 1 ME cable and everything was perfect again, no jerky movement and no more errors, server CPU with no one logged in has also dropped 20%.

So server owners, now you know.

dang, such a small thing causing so much problems...

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I'm afraid that isn't it entirely. Congrats on your victory, however. Very nice find.

In our Resurrection world, nobody had a ME system running yet. That pack pushes AE back to mid-late game, and most of our crew had given up by the end of the Bronze Age.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
The interfaces in question keep a stock of harvestcraft foods for me... Seems the issue MAY be related to Harvestcraft, struggling to repeat the problem with other items.

OR

It could be that because the Harvestcraft crafting "chain" is so long it's amplifying a standard issue.

Also scratch the 20%, it's closer to a 40% reduction in CPU load

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
I'm afraid that isn't it entirely. Congrats on your victory, however. Very nice find.

In our Resurrection world, nobody had a ME system running yet. That pack pushes AE back to mid-late game, and most of our crew had given up by the end of the Bronze Age.

It was unlikely to be the same error TBH...

Equitime

Jul 29, 2019
I doubt that is the whole problem. Looks like I have a different problem to contend with atm tho.

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
It was the whole problem... Attach those specific interfaces, jerky entity movement and error messages, disconnect them and everything stops immediately and server CPU load drops by over 20%. Why are you arguing?