[SOLVED]Disable VoxelMinimap

Lostferret

Jul 29, 2019
How can I disable the Voxel Minimap. there seems to be no options for it serverside and it completely demolishes any sort of balance on a PvP server.

Dingham

Jul 29, 2019
You can't, it's client side only.

Not sure if there's a way to ban clients with certain mods. I know there was a bukkit plugin for that, but I haven't done plugins for since November 2012 :)

darkinnit

Jul 29, 2019
I have also looked into this. I only wanted to disable the cheaty aspects of it (mob radar and cave view). The developer hinted that they can be turned off using colour codes in the server MOTD:
http://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeas..._dont_enjoy_voxelmap_but_i_kinda_love/c8p6mlz

But he doesn't mention what colour codes to use or provide any more info.

I found the MinecraftForums page for the mod, but it's not much help either:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/1116564-15-mamiyaotarus-mods-zans-minimap-chatbubbles-autofarmer-etc/
But then I took a look at the page for Rei's mini-map:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/482147-15-mar14-reis-minimap-v33/
Specifically the section "how to enable cave mapping / entities radar".
He provides a very nice simple MOTD mod for the server there (so you don't have to mess about with something large like ForgeEssentials). The MOTD mod works with the FTB Ultimate server.
So I thought maybe the colour codes Rei uses to enable these features might disable them in VoxelMap, but alas no.
I tried the &0&0&1&2&3&4&5&6&7&8&9&a&b&c&d&e&f (all colour codes) and various combinations.
I tried them with the special "selection sign" symbol mentioned here: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Formatting_codes

Still no joy. So I've given up for now, but would be keen to hear if anyone else makes any other progress.

Dingham

Jul 29, 2019
Nice information :)

Just a note, I learn recently that rei mini map isn't coded very well in the way it happens packs. So I think voxel is the better map to go for.

darkinnit

Jul 29, 2019
Many thanks for finding the code. It works for me now! From testing I've found you don't need the spaces either, so you can just paste in
§3§6§3§6§3§6§e§3§6§3§6§3§6§d
to ensure there's no blank spaces output to the players when they login.

xondk

Jul 29, 2019
Okey, I've been looking for this code, but I cannot seem to get it to work, I've pasted what Darkinnit wrote into the forgeessentials MOTD text and the radar and cavemaps still work?

darkinnit

Jul 29, 2019
For me it was weird, it doesn't work at first. I even tried restarting the server and restarting the client etc, but it still didn't work. Then later on after I disconnected and reconnected again later on (having not changed a thing), it just started working. Not sure why, but after that, everyone mentioned their mobs and cave mode wasn't working, so it does work, just not at first for some reason. Leave it there for a while, maybe try restarting Minecraft or the server once or twice, but it does work eventually.

Greylocke

Jul 29, 2019
Can anyone suggest a lightweight MOTD mod? I tried Rei's LoginMessage, but it doesn't seem to work for me. I don't really want to add permissions, locking, logging, etc... I did all that with my bukkit server. I really just want a MOTD that works. :) Thanks!

darkinnit

Jul 29, 2019
I am using that LoginMessage mod from Rei's page and it does work. However, as I've said in the post just above, it appears that VoxelMap takes a while from when you first set the login message colour codes to when it actually does start blocking the features. This doesn't appear to be a problem with the LoginMessage mod, as when you change the MOTD message there, the displayed MOTD in game changes instantly. I can only assume that VoxelMap is caching its settings or something like that.

Try using the LoginMessage mod again and just leave the codes in place for a while, it does work eventually. (I went to dinner, came back and logged in again and it was blocking the cave mode and mob radar for everyone, so maybe an hour or two, tops?)

Greylocke

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the feedback, @darkinnit . I've tinkered with the LoginMessage.txt a bit, and is seems like it IS working, but it didn't like the section symbol. If I remove them, the MOTD works immediately. Are you using ampersands (&) instead of the sections (§) mentioned above?

EDIT
Here's what finally worked for me:
1. Rei's LoginMessage mod
2. include in your LoginMessage.txt:
Code:
&3 &6 &3 &6 &3 &6 &e
&3 &6 &3 &6 &3 &6 &d
3. wait.

I don't know why the last step is necessary, but it really does take awhile before the mob radar goes away. Although other people had success with using the section symbol, whenever I'd try it with LoginMessage, it'd kill the MOTD. Maybe the section symbol works with ForgeEssentials? Regardless, I'm quite pleased to see that the mob radar has gone away. :)

Reactions: darkinnit

darkinnit

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah this did baffle me too, as I tried with the & symbols and then with the section symbol and neither were working at first. Once mine started working I just decided "it's not broke, don't fix it". :D I just double checked mine and I am using the section symbol with the LoginMessage mod. I have spaces in mine (but not on two lines), but it did work without the spaces on a test server I tried it on.

It's probable that either symbol works, and that changing between the two somehow resets the time you have to wait. Glad you got it working in the end, regardless of which symbol it needs :)

Cronos988

Jul 29, 2019
Can I get confirmation that this still works? Just starting up a Direwolf 20 server, and so far I have been unable to disable radar and mapping on the map.

dreniarb

Jul 29, 2019
Can't get this to work. Anyone had luck with the newer versions? Do I just need to try harder? ;)

Cozza

Jul 29, 2019
It works fine for me with Essentials MOTD.

You just need to give it a couple of minutes to kick in