[SOLVED]Any suggestions to reduce lag?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

KaoticSoulz

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, so I recently started FTB again for the first time in a couple months. I have some basic infrastructure, but as I don't exactly have a supercomputer, it's lagging a bit.

Naturally, there will be some lag compared to normal minecraft, but seeing as I can handle that at 250fps on mininum settings (I always play at that. No clue why, but I do.), I figure I should be getting more than the 35 max I am currently getting (This is without any machines pumping out items yet.)

I am playing FTB Monster 1.1.1 + Soul Shards 2, DartCraft, OptiFine (Yes, it is working just fine, but I haven't done a benchmark between the two FPS's to see which one is higher.), and Zan's Minimap with 3.5GB of RAM allocated to FTB. I'm playing on all the lowest settings, as I always do, and I can't think of anything else I can do to increase FPS. I could use Task manager to allocate more cores of my CPU to the process, but frankly it adds in a feeling similar to using the timer hack on nodus, which is really annoying.

Any suggestions?

TheCupcakeisaLie

Jul 29, 2019
Minecraft only uses 1 core AFAIK, garbage collection (might) might use a second tho. Monster is so so intensive. I found disableing NEI gave me 40+ fps back, and i mean going into the nei options tab and pressing NEI Disabled, pressing "o" to hide it does nothing except, well hide it. Make sure your memory is not leaking, and make sure your computer is not on power saver mode (i did it once and wondered wth was up). Definitly do a test w/ and w/out optifine, and depending on how many cores you have, try multicore chunkloading. Optifine is pretty hit or miss, it works great for me but multi core chunk loading is a -50 fps for me. Also try the menu that shows what your resources are being dedicated to, rendering, etc... Try running it on a server or on a server on your computer, but make sure to assign it to different cores. I run on a laptop with 2 cores and 4 gb ram so I have alot of experience with fps lag.

KaoticSoulz

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, I disabled multi-chunk loading and it is definitely a boost. Hitting my max fps (60) every so often now, but am still averaging 30 fps. Also, in addition to what you said about the only using 1 core, that is true, but I find (And this may be a placebo. Not sure.) that I get ten-twenty extra frames when all four of my cores are being used, at the price of the annoying speed-up.

I also, enabled the debug pie chart profiler, and 70% is going to "gameRenderer", 20% to tick, 10% to "unspecified" and the remaining ten distributed among "render", "sound", and "preRenderErrors", if that can help anyone think of a way to cut down on lag, I honestly don't know what that means.

In addition to above, I enabled lagometer for a second to see if that could help (Optifine ftw. Telling me what the colors mean.)

It all seems fairly normal when I'm normally playing, with most of the resources going to rendering, but whenever I open my inventory, or any inventory for that matter, it spikes into the off the chart territory. I've tried disabling NEI, and while all lag caused by opening the inventory goes away, I really enjoy the mod, and having to check a wiki every two seconds would cause me infinite facedesks. If someone could give me an in-game alternative that works, it would mostly clear up any lag issues I'm facing.

While this is definitely playable, I'm curious if anyone else had any ideas?

Last edited:

TheCupcakeisaLie

Jul 29, 2019
Do you live next to a topamak reactor. Jk, but a lot of people around here will be very much more qualified to help, although the answer might just be you need to upgrade your computer. Mind posting the specs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, I disabled multi-chunk loading and it is definitely a boost. Hitting my max fps (60) every so often now, but am still averaging 30 fps. Also, in addition to what you said about the only using 1 core, that is true, but I find (And this may be a placebo. Not sure.) that I get ten-twenty extra frames when all four of my cores are being used, at the price of the annoying speed-up.

I also, enabled the debug pie chart profiler, and 70% is going to "gameRenderer", 20% to tick, 10% to "unspecified" and the remaining ten distributed among "render", "sound", and "preRenderErrors", if that can help anyone think of a way to cut down on lag, I honestly don't know what that means.

In addition to above, I enabled lagometer for a second to see if that could help (Optifine ftw. Telling me what the colors mean.)

It all seems fairly normal when I'm normally playing, with most of the resources going to rendering, but whenever I open my inventory, or any inventory for that matter, it spikes into the off the chart territory. I've tried disabling NEI, and while all lag caused by opening the inventory goes away, I really enjoy the mod, and having to check a wiki every two seconds would cause me infinite facedesks. If someone could give me an in-game alternative that works, it would mostly clear up any lag issues I'm facing.

While this is definitely playable, I'm curious if anyone else had any ideas?
Curious, why is that maximum? Usually for me 25 is perfect.

KaoticSoulz

Jul 29, 2019
Do you live next to a topamak reactor. Jk, but a lot of people around here will be very much more qualified to help, although the answer might just be you need to upgrade your computer. Mind posting the specs?

The computer is decent as said earlier. Here are the main specs.

AMD FX-4100 CPU running @ 3.7 GHz
Corsair 8GB DDR3-1600 MHz RAM
XFX Radeon HD 7870 2GB
128GB SSD (668 MB remaining, and FTB is on the following hard drive.)
1TB HDD
Windows 7 Home Premium

EDIT: None of this is overclocked, even though I have the PSU and cooling to handle it. Haven't gotten around to learning how to do it without shorting anything out.

Curious, why is that maximum? Usually for me 25 is perfect.

I have 60 FPS set as max because that's my monitors max refresh rate. No point in wearing out my graphics card unnecessarily. Anyways, I am kind of OCD with FPS, and while I can handle lag that's predictable, the sort I'm getting that just causes a barely visual jump every once in a while is extremely annoying.

TheCupcakeisaLie

Jul 29, 2019
Not really, at 15-25 everything is instantaneous
Yes instantaneous, but it just doesn't feel "smooth" if that makes any sense. I don't like being able to see individual frames as I quickly turn or move my charicter. Maybe I've just spoiled myself with 60 fps because I can very much tell a difference. Which is a annoying aspect to go play a fps that is capped at 30 fps or so.

Reactions: Padfoote

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Yes instantaneous, but it just doesn't feel "smooth" if that makes any sense. I don't like being able to see individual frames as I quickly turn or move my charicter. Maybe I've just spoiled myself with 60 fps because I can very much tell a difference. Which is a annoying aspect to go play a fps that is capped at 30 fps or so.

Maybe im used to it, but it looks the same either way.
The computer is decent as said earlier. Here are the main specs.

AMD FX-4100 CPU running @ 3.7 GHz
Corsair 8GB DDR3-1600 MHz RAM
XFX Radeon HD 7870 2GB
128GB SSD (668 MB remaining, and FTB is on the following hard drive.)
1TB HDD
Windows 7 Home Premium

EDIT: None of this is overclocked, even though I have the PSU and cooling to handle it. Haven't gotten around to learning how to do it without shorting anything out.

I have 60 FPS set as max because that's my monitors max refresh rate. No point in wearing out my graphics card unnecessarily. Anyways, I am kind of OCD with FPS, and while I can handle lag that's predictable, the sort I'm getting that just causes a barely visual jump every once in a while is extremely annoying.
limiting is a bit derpy and it usually stays below maximum because of that

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
There is a major difference between 30 and 60 fps when playing minecraft. It's about response time. Not just how many frames are being displayed.

yeah, but only if this were battlefield or call of duty would it matter.

a little 30fps "chop" isn't going to ruin your uber leet pee vee pees :p

@ThatOneSlowking as far as limiting your fps being derpy, not really. displaying frames above your monitor's refresh rate results in tearing.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
There is a major difference between 30 and 60 fps when playing minecraft. It's about response time. Not just how many frames are being displayed.

60fps is pretty unreasonable for modded minecraft. I am tickled pink that mine hovers around the 35 area most times.

Sent from my mind using telepathy

KaoticSoulz

Jul 29, 2019
This topic seems to have gotten fairly long-winded since I left it yesterday.

Just going to pop in here and copy-paste the thing I really wanted to know yesterday.

TheCupcakeisaLie

Jul 29, 2019

Just going to pop in here and copy-paste the thing I really wanted to know yesterday.

Try disabling the showing of mods up on the tab at the top, try disabling things like reactorcraft, rotarycraft, tinkers construct, multipart, anything with a ton of blocks or fancy blocks u don't need. This makes it not show in nei and has helped me.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019

If cupcake's suggestion does not work try CraftGuide.

KaoticSoulz

Jul 29, 2019
Try disabling the showing of mods up on the tab at the top, try disabling things like reactorcraft, rotarycraft, tinkers construct, multipart, anything with a ton of blocks or fancy blocks u don't need. This makes it not show in nei and has helped me.

This worked very well, thanks! I'm guessing that opening my inventory and having my processor suddenly taking on the task of showing each and every block and it's crafting recipe was just causing it to spazz out and make me lag. Thanks!

If cupcake's suggestion does not work try CraftGuide.

I will try that out if the lag returns ever. Thanks!

Spex_Feeds

Jul 29, 2019
What machines should I make 1st? I just started a server. I have a decent amount of resources but have no idea what machines to create 1st

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
What machines should I make 1st? I just started a server. I have a decent amount of resources but have no idea what machines to create 1st

off-topic.gif