So... Why are the Voxel mods in FTB anyway?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
AFAIK, all the streamers are on whitelist servers so what difference does that make? And if they're on an open server then why would they want to keep it secret?

becuase the internet is full of dicks that find it funny to bomb IP address for the lulz.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
AFAIK, all the streamers are on whitelist servers so what difference does that make? And if they're on an open server then why would they want to keep it secret?

Even if the server is white listed the strain of hundreds to thousands of people trying to connect to it will put a ton of strain on said server equal to a DDOS attack. Let alone those that find it fun to in fact DDOS the server for the lulzs.

Now when you consider that the youtubers and streamers are the face of FTB's marketing it pays to keep them happy. It only makes sense to cater to them, also the fact that a large amount of the packs in FTB are made specifically for said people it only seals the deal.

As for asking Rei to change his mod one thing to note is that he is Japanese with poor english skills as noted in his mod post and is nearly as allusive as Eloraam.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Now when you consider that the youtubers and streamers are the face of FTB's marketing it pays to keep them happy. It only makes sense to cater to them, also the fact that a large amount of the packs in FTB are made specifically for said people it only seals the deal.
I don't think "marketing" really applies when FTB isn't a business.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think "marketing" really applies when FTB isn't a business.

I am not sure how long that can persist, though. One of two things is going to happen:
  1. The costs/devtime will add up such that FTB has to monetize (or take a ton of donations?).
  2. The site, launcher and modpacks will be neglected such that no amount of community awesomeness will fix them.
Have you looked at the technic launcher? It is a very, very good piece of software (in the sense that it works and has a sound model). It may be a cruddy pile of PHP and some awkward Java, but that doesn't matter if it wins a capability war. Having one or two of those modpacks do big updates without 100mb downloads will show you how good a launcher and updater can be, and it is better than what we got here.
For now, I think, FTB enjoys popularity because of its personalities and its close association with Forgecraft. It's hard to say how long that'll persist, though, if things continue as they are. Especially if Technic starts executing on their charity strategies and makes money.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
I am not sure how long that can persist, though. One of two things is going to happen:
  1. The costs/devtime will add up such that FTB has to monetize (or take a ton of donations?).
  2. The site, launcher and modpacks will be neglected such that no amount of community awesomeness will fix them.
Have you looked at the technic launcher? It is a very, very good piece of software (in the sense that it works and has a sound model). It may be a cruddy pile of PHP and some awkward Java, but that doesn't matter if it wins a capability war. Having one or two of those modpacks do big updates without 100mb downloads will show you how good a launcher and updater can be, and it is better than what we got here.

For now, I think, FTB enjoys popularity because of its personalities and its close association with Forgecraft. It's hard to say how long that'll persist, though, if things continue as they are. Especially if Technic starts executing on their charity strategies and makes money.
People don't like Technic because it has that bad aura surrounding it and they're afraid the FBI will shoot them for downloading something without permission. I do prefer tha FTB forums over Technic's though, it's a lot friendlier and.. official-feeling.

Feyriin

Jul 29, 2019
I love the idea of voxelplayer.. if it worked for me. It worked once.. but doesn't show me player distances at all since then, so worthless to me.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
People don't like Technic because it has that bad aura surrounding it and they're afraid the FBI will shoot them for downloading something without permission. I do prefer tha FTB forums over Technic's though, it's a lot friendlier and.. official-feeling.

Yep. It's social, not technical.

Reactions: Chocorate

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Yep. It's social, not technical.
It is Technical though.

I mean, I like FTB and the official feel to it as well as the nice community, but Technic offers way more opportunities to small server owners and the like. I can respect FTB's stance and their mission, with the permissions and whatnot, but for a lot of people like you, technic is just superior.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
I love voxel map, way more than REI's.
I mean, nether map, no comparison possible, and cave mode seems way easier to read.
Well, I do run ultimate at 100+ FPS on a server, so it's not affecting my game in any way that I can quantify, but I heard reports of Voxel hitting the FPS. REI does too though, so not sure what is the best in that regard.

Ok, that's not the reason it is in FTB, but we can only have wild guesses if we don't have something from the mod team anyway.

Reactions: Chocorate

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
I love voxel map, way more than REI's.
I mean, nether map, no comparison possible, and cave mode seems way easier to read.
Well, I do run ultimate at 100+ FPS on a server, so it's not affecting my game in any way that I can quantify, but I heard reports of Voxel hitting the FPS. REI does too though, so not sure what is the best in that regard.

Ok, that's not the reason it is in FTB, but we can only have wild guesses if we don't have something from the mod team anyway.

Look at the middle of page two, slowpoke clearly stated that the reason they swapped to voxel map was due to Rei's showing the the IP of servers. Which to me is a perfectly valid yet unpopular reason due to people's attachment to Rei's and some of its arguably superior features (better waypoints, config options, and its more refined look/feel) vs voxel's cheaty cave mode and entity radar that cannot be controlled server side..

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, I like Voxel's cave mode thing. Call me crazy, but I kinda don't like getting lost on a labyrinthine cave system because I took a wrong left turn at Albuquerque. Torch paths are only so useful, and have gotten me lost as many times as simply making a wrong turn, and I normally have a fairly decent sense of direction. (And yes, its happened before with waypoints visible. Minecraft caves can get really damned convoluted.)

That said, Voxel's entities radar is a lot more lag-inducing than Rei's. Makes situational awareness a bit more difficult, but a decent pair of ears (and headphones) generally alleviates that.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
I just... don't see the point of the waypoint distance limit. I endlessly gripe about it because it is so absurd.

Honestly, it'd be like having a jetpack that couldn't go more than 10 blocks off the ground. It's useful to a very, very limited degree, and I personally question it's implementation in the first place.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, I like Voxel's cave mode thing. Call me crazy, but I kinda don't like getting lost on a labyrinthine cave system because I took a wrong left turn at Albuquerque. Torch paths are only so useful, and have gotten me lost as many times as simply making a wrong turn, and I normally have a fairly decent sense of direction. (And yes, its happened before with waypoints visible. Minecraft caves can get really damned convoluted.)

That said, Voxel's entities radar is a lot more lag-inducing than Rei's. Makes situational awareness a bit more difficult, but a decent pair of ears (and headphones) generally alleviates that.

Ive always just marked my way through caves. I make little Ts out of blocks pointing the way out.

Like so telling me ----> is out.
O
OOO
O

esotericist

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I find Rei's cave mode far more useful than Voxel's due to the 'density map' style, and it's even "less cheaty" in that it does not show you ALL caves automatically; they have to be exposed to light first.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Even then, the fact it makes navigating hell a much, MUCH less infuriating task earns it points, in my book. I mean, being able to easily see where the best lava pools are, and most especially, seeing where those thrice damned hell fortresses are...yes, please. That whole grey mess Rei's gives you in hell really makes you wish it'd just have the decency to just disable itself in that dimension, since its effectively bloody useless and is just generating excess lag, at that point.

quantumllama

Jul 29, 2019
I like Rei's Map more, but if the IPs are showing then I understand. It's always possible to disable them and go back to the one I like when I'm playing alone anyway.

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
Even then, the fact it makes navigating hell a much, MUCH less infuriating task earns it points, in my book. I mean, being able to easily see where the best lava pools are, and most especially, seeing where those thrice damned hell fortresses are...yes, please. That whole grey mess Rei's gives you in hell really makes you wish it'd just have the decency to just disable itself in that dimension, since its effectively bloody useless and is just generating excess lag, at that point.

Those are the exact reasons I dislike Voxel's and like Rei's, it serves as a map, not as an X-Ray tool, and as long as I know the direction the exit(s) is/ are (marked by waypoints.), that's all need.

Plus the waypoints in Rei's are a lot nicer.
(Tho that last part is merely my opinion. :p)

southernfriedbb

Jul 29, 2019
Ive always just marked my way through caves. I make little Ts out of blocks pointing the way out.

Like so telling me ----> is out.
O
OOO
O

When I first started playing minecraft, before I figured out how to use redstone, I used to use it to mark paths.