So... Why are the Voxel mods in FTB anyway?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
The voxel minimap is inferior in every way to Rei's map. The first change I made to ultimate was to delete voxel and add back in Rei's. Then I decided since it adds nothing to the game at all, I removed the rest of the voxel stuff.

Evil Hamster's wise words.

The name ruined the quote :(

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
you think they even care about what we think? most of the modding community have egos higher than where the voyager I is right now, and some of them are within FTB.

The term 'high' is in direct relation to the nearest massive body in space to us... so I don't think you can call anything floating through space 'high', so to speak.

Reactions: INCSlayer

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone else get the same problem, where holding WASD and then pressing X to zoom will keep you stuck in the WASD direction until you re-press WASD keys? It's gotten me thrown off many cliffs..

Reactions: Mash

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone else get the same problem, where holding WASD and then pressing X to zoom will keep you stuck in the WASD direction until you re-press WASD keys? It's gotten me thrown off many cliffs..

Yes. It happens constantly.

On top of that, the spacebar likes to stick in the same fashion when I'm using a jetpack.

Reactions: Chocorate

slowpoke

Administrator
Team Member
FTB Founder
Jul 29, 2019
Just as a clarification, Rei's Minimap was not removed because it had a memory leak (If I remember right, there is a memory leak if you swap dimensions a LOT). At best this was a secondary consideration. It was replaced because when you set waypoints in Rei's Minimap, every time you changed dimensions, it had the helpful feature of showing your IP address on screen. This was an issue for anyone who used the pack for either streaming or doing youtube video's.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Just as a clarification, Rei's Minimap was not removed because it had a memory leak (If I remember right, there is a memory leak if you swap dimensions a LOT). At best this was a secondary consideration. It was replaced because when you set waypoints in Rei's Minimap, every time you changed dimensions, it had the helpful feature of showing your IP address on screen. This was an issue for anyone who used the pack for either streaming or doing youtube video's.

Wellp, I... don't.

I think I'm going back to Rei's. Thanks for clearing that up.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
The memory leak in Rei's is minor and is in fact due to swapping dimensions as the map tends to keep things loaded in memory instead of clearing it out when you leave the dimension.

As slowpoke mentioned the main issue with Rei's is the ip address showing unless you edit your host file for each and every server you play on. Which can prove to be very annoying after awhile as it is only a matter of time before you forget to update it and cause chaos for the server your playing on by accident.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
So everybody has to suffer because of a few?

And IIRC, DW20 is still using Rei's in his videos so it's obviously not an issue for all "youtubers".

Not all youtubers are good at video editing. And since its mostly an issue for server based youtubers as the admin it is just easyer to pick the map that will not get your ip randomly shown to hordes of people that might spam it then to hope all of your members know how to edit out the parts that show your IP.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Not all youtubers are good at video editing. And since its mostly an issue for server based youtubers as the admin it is just easyer to pick the map that will not get your ip randomly shown to hordes of people that might spam it then to hope all of your members know how to edit out the parts that show your IP.

Well, wouldn't it be simpler for them to simply use a different minimap instead of forcing the overwhelming majority of players to do that?

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
Youtubers having to edit videos is minor beyond the annoyance and risk of missing it while editing, the main issue is streamers that cannot go back and edit the video as it is live.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Well, wouldn't it be simpler for them to simply use a different minimap instead of forcing the overwhelming majority of players to do that?

No since the Server based Packs made for the server in question why would they have to have an special pack with diffrent mods? That sort of defeats the whole idea of the server pack in the frist place.

Ravage

Jul 29, 2019
hmm a handful of mods to replace one because it dosnt work the way a few want. did anyone ask Rei to update the mod so it would be tuber/streamer friendly? cause if not this is looking like what is happening over in that Rp2 post about using couple mods to replace just one seems silly if you ask me. o well just a thought

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
This was an issue for anyone who used the pack for either streaming or doing youtube video's.
It was not an issue for youtubers, only streamers. Youtubers have the benefit of being able to edit their videos, and if they get caught out by that then I'm afraid I say they deserve it.
Also, pretty pathetic argument in my honest opinion. It's a clientside mod, so instead of putting a subpar map mod in at default, the streamers should instead change it themselves.
It's understandable why you'd do this as you yourself are a streamer, but it isn't really fair on the rest of us.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019

AFAIK, all the streamers are on whitelist servers so what difference does that make? And if they're on an open server then why would they want to keep it secret?