So this whole Gregtech thing.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

BeastFeeder

Jul 29, 2019
People complain because changing config files is a royal pain when all you want to do is craft an iron pick axe.

gokogt386

Jul 29, 2019
People complain because changing config files is a royal pain when all you want to do is craft an iron pick axe.
Changing the word "true" to the word "false" cannot possibly be that hard to do. Sure his configs can be a mess, but scrolling and reading for a little isn't difficult if you have the time and are patient.

Reactions: TheBaconator

BeastFeeder

Jul 29, 2019
Hmmm, I need an Iron pick. All I need to do is:
  • put three ingots and 2 sticks in a crafting table.

Oh wait because Gregtech is in this pack...first I need to
  • close the game
  • find the right config file
  • scroll through to all the places that affect that tool
  • change the true to false
  • save and close the config file
  • restart the launcher
  • relaunch the game
  • open the crafting grid back up
  • attempt the craft the pick with iron ingots.

If you're lucky it'll work. Since I'm not a developer and I dont really know much about config files and all I want to do is play a game I'm not lucky most of the time and I have to repeat the process several times before I get it right.

If there are updates I may go to craft something in the future that I've already "fixed" and find that I have to repeat the config change.

Reactions: Anubis and trajing

TheBaconator

Jul 29, 2019

• close the game
  • restart the launcher
  • relaunch the game

If you're lucky it'll work. Since I'm not a developer and I dont really know much about config files and all I want to do is play a game I'm not lucky most of the time and I have to repeat the process several times before I get it right.

If there are updates I may go to craft something in the future that I've already "fixed" and find that I have to repeat the config change.

Oh no, you have to do something that takes at most 4 minutes! It doesn't take a "developer" to know about config files. Setting something from true to false probably requires at most a first grade education.

Reactions: xbony2

BeastFeeder

Jul 29, 2019
Oh no, you have to do something that takes at most 4 minutes! It doesn't take a "developer" to know about config files. Setting something from true to false probably requires at most a first grade education.
You miss the point, which is that it's taking something that should take 4 seconds tops and making it take 4 minutes, minimum.

Reactions: Roady and trajing

gokogt386

Jul 29, 2019

• close the game
  • restart the launcher
  • relaunch the game

These same things have to be done when changing any config setting from any mod. A simplified list that shows what matters:
1.Load the game
2.Close the game and go to the config.
3.Open it and find the line.
4.Change the setting
5.Save, open the game, and be done.
And by the way, you only have to change the plate settings, nothing more or less.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019

• close the game
  • restart the launcher
  • relaunch the game

Or do it the easier way:

Uninstall the offending mod. Never worry about it again.

BeastFeeder

Jul 29, 2019
These same things have to be done when changing any config setting from any mod. A simplified list that shows what matters:
1.Load the game
2.Close the game and go to the config.
3.Open it and find the line.
4.Change the setting
5.Save, open the game, and be done.
And by the way, you only have to change the plate settings, nothing more or less.
In your simplified version, its still 5 steps in place of 1 for one of the most simple things you can do in minecraft.
I'm saying that is what frustrates people.

What I found to be a much better solution for me was to open the "mods" section of the launcher and set gregtech to "disabled". It improved my experience immeasurably. Apparently because I only have a kindergarten-level education.

Reactions: Roady

McyD

Jul 29, 2019
I think your missing the whole point of Gregtech, which is to increase the difficulty and complexity of the game. Of course not everyone wants that, so it is not a mod for everyone, but the general concept behind Gregtech is to make things take longer to do, and require more steps to do so. I personally will not play without Gregtech, as a week into the game I have done most everything there is and I find it all to easy and quick to do.

jokermatt999

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, there's a config for everything, but that doesn't stop people unfamiliar with Gregtech from wondering why they can't make a simple iron pick. They don't know it's GT that does it if it's in a large modpack, they don't know where the config is to change it, they just want to play the game.

Greg himself has stated he sees GT as more of a total conversion, and it's perfectly understandable that a total conversion would cause plenty of intermod issues. While many mods add on to Vanilla, very few change Vanilla recipes. To my knowledge, the main 2 in FTB are Railcraft (which expands a largely peripheral portion) and Enderchests. Config or no, defaulting to changing Vanilla screws with a lot of other people's experience, and creates a lot more hassle. Mod authors don't want to do tech support for another mod, and that's not even taking Greg's typical attitude into consideration.

Gregtech is not a mod you can just drop in without it affecting pretty much every other single mod unless you tediously go through the configs, trying to figure out that "namefix" means "nerf flint and steel".

For the record, I don't even hate Gregtech. Back in 1.4.7 (and even some of 1.5.2), it was one of my favorite mods. He made things challenging and expanded the endgame, and there wasn't *too* much messing with Vanilla when it was just storage blocks being changed. Since then, his mod has really expanded in terms of what it affects, and it's not reasonable to expect a modpack to work well without it being designed around GT. Since the FTB team already has their hands full with other modpacks (and especially trying to sort out the modlist for their flagship mod, Monster), I think it's reasonable to not expect a GT modpack. If GT fans really want to help out, I'd suggest they consider submitting pre-edited config files for various difficulties, because the FTB team has already said they'd prefer someone knowledgeable on that. Arguing in the forums probably isn't doing much, so I'm unwatching this thread.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Other mods adds to vanilla, GT nerfs vanilla.
As for configs, I do agree they are configurable and I do play with GT. That was before the fiasco with TiCo.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
I like to play Gregtech with IgunaTweaks for TConstruct, so I can't even craft a wooden pick, let alone an iron one. I find this harder. TBH not so relevant, but it allows me to get round his nerf in a more challenging, fun way. This kind of nerfs GregTech if you think about it. Maybe people would enjoy GregTech a lot more if you didn't spend so much time around a crafting table.

EnzymeA113

Jul 29, 2019

• close the game
  • restart the launcher
  • relaunch the game

Find and Replace is a wonderful way to make that process fly by........

Reactions: TheBaconator

4oh3

Jul 29, 2019
I think your missing the whole point of Gregtech, which is to increase the difficulty and complexity of the game.
Introducing tedium is the worst method of increasing difficulty or complexity.

Minecraft is not hard and will never be hard, no matter how many 30 stage crafting recipes are introduced, and increasing material costs are trivial in a game that is effectively infinite. The one and only resource in Minecraft that is not infinite is time and time--how long and what you do with it--is where one should introduce difficulty and complexity. A good example of this is Thaumcraft, which is no less complex as GregTech, but actively engages the player and turns the difficulty of advancement into a game in itself--and if you're good at the game you can advance quickly.

If you want to watch progress bars, and find that enjoyable, let me introduce you to Progress Quest.

Last edited:

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
People still thinks tedium = hard? If so, Steve's Carts 2 Galgadorian stuffs would be extreme hard mode then since there is so many crafting steps in it. =_=)

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

LukeWUK

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe im a sadist but i only play hardcore mode..with grg fully enabled.

On about my 11th playhthrough now always die in really dumb ways! About a week into current qorld...just about to get some bronze armour lol. One day ill get to nano and hopefully surviv3 <3

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
"changing config files is a royal pain"

It's really not. Writing the code that generates and reads the config file is quite a bit harder. As is getting a lot of mods working together in a pack that will hopefully be a fun time for as many people as possible. Have some perspective.

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
GT f***s with other mods and also vanilla too. And those are on by default.
Also, the attitude of "I can do whatever I want to other mods, but hell I'll introduce a crash code if other modders dare to modify stuffs I did." makes me sick, as with his defenders.
Then why don't you save yourself some heartburn and stay out of threads with the word "Gregtech" in the title. We had 3 pages of constructive conversation before you came along.

Protocurity

Jul 29, 2019
The biggest issue with changing the configs for any mod is that, ultimately, it isn't the player who has the power in that situation. It is the server owner who has the power. Back when I was looking for servers in 1.4.7, the rarest thing for me to ever come across was a server that had something other than the default pack with the default configs. If you did a search for them, you'd find a few servers scattered through the forums, most on inactive threads or no longer recruiting.

It isn't in the interest of a server owner to modify the configs to fit some arbitrary play style. Considering that so many open servers have donation perks added on, changing the configs usually leads to one of three outcomes:

#1: The server puts off people because they can't join without having to change their own mod pack, and that requires effort.
#2: The config changes makes things easier, and easier = less donations for shortcuts.
#3: The donators who want leet stuff won't go to the server because everyone getting leet stuff will make it not leet anymore.

So, from a monetary standpoint, configs and mod lists are to remain the same. Once you've opened the box of changing configs, then you are left with a conflict in population about what configs should stay.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
The biggest issue with changing the configs for any mod is that, ultimately, it isn't the player who has the power in that situation. It is the server owner who has the power. Back when I was looking for servers in 1.4.7, the rarest thing for me to ever come across was a server that had something other than the default pack with the default configs. If you did a search for them, you'd find a few servers scattered through the forums, most on inactive threads or no longer recruiting.

It isn't in the interest of a server owner to modify the configs to fit some arbitrary play style. Considering that so many open servers have donation perks added on, changing the configs usually leads to one of three outcomes:

#1: The server puts off people because they can't join without having to change their own mod pack, and that requires effort.
#2: The config changes makes things easier, and easier = less donations for shortcuts.
#3: The donators who want leet stuff won't go to the server because everyone getting leet stuff will make it not leet anymore.

So, from a monetary standpoint, configs and mod lists are to remain the same. Once you've opened the box of changing configs, then you are left with a conflict in population about what configs should stay.

Also I think that in addition to this (you're 100% right BTW), when people talk about putting changes in the configs, I think they typically mean for the good of the modpack and people in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.