Smaller Logos, more space to see modlist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystara

Jul 29, 2019
Please make the logo banners smaller for each modpack and the give more room to the list of mods. The logos really only need to occupy the top 25% of the section, not 75%.

Wabbit

Jul 29, 2019
NvcAg.jpg

Threw it together in like, 10 minutes.

Zerosan

Jul 29, 2019
I'd prefer it if the launcher was resizeable,
so it's also possible to see the full list of mods without scrolling.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
isn't there going to be a function in the future for the launcher where you can choose which skins you want to use for the launcher?
maybe that'll also give the option to resize certain things...

Wabbit

Jul 29, 2019
isn't there going to be a function in the future for the launcher where you can choose which skins you want to use for the launcher?
maybe that'll also give the option to resize certain things...
Why would you want to change skins for an ftb launcher of all things? They update every five minutes, you'll be constantly designing and updating skins for it.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Why would you want to change skins for an ftb launcher of all things? They update every five minutes, you'll be constantly designing and updating skins for it.

don't ask me, I have no clue how they plan on doing it

Mengmoshu

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think skinning would be much use, but I'd love to be able to resize the window. Maybe keep the list pane on the left the same width, as well as the tabs at the top of the screen and just resize the info pane to fit things.

rangerplus10

Jul 29, 2019
I'd prefer it if the launcher was resizeable,
so it's also possible to see the full list of mods without scrolling.
Right now, the launcher would not be nice if it was resizable as button, combobox, passwordfields... are hard coded. If you were to re-size the launcher, object locations and sizes would stay the same, and only the the window itself would change. You'd have to create a whole layout to be able to have the launcher to be resizable.

Mengmoshu

Jul 29, 2019
I was assuming that whenever it was time to make the launcher resizable those interface elements would be tweaked to suit the new feature. Though I'm sure that tweaking would be more work than the basic task of making the window resizable. I'm not a programmer myself, but I've read and tinkered enough to know that seemingly simple changes often come with complications a regular user probably wouldn't anticipate. For example in this situation it's easy to expect the elements of the window to self adjust the same way a website does.

I think from the user side of things resizing the window would be very intuitive. Like I already said, I don't really know what it would take to make resizing work, so It'd be up to the programmer(s) to decide whether adding the feature is worth the effort.

And I just realized everything else I was gonna say is kinda beside the point so I'll stop here before I write a wall of text.

Reactions: Randomsteve

Randomsteve

Jul 29, 2019
You make some very good points. I really do think I resizable launcher would be nice but it would be a bit of a change. Shouldn't be to bad though because the layout there kinda lends itself to have this type of code implemented then a different one would have. You can see that when you resize your browser only the window changes size, the actually top tool bar stays the same pretty much. The only change is that the txt bars stretch out side to side, or shrink in wards. With the FTB launcher it would be easier then it could be to define the top and bottom regions as the regions that keep there ratio to the rest of the window where the rest of the windowed parts move and expand depending on window size. Again this wouldn't be easy but easier then it could have been if they would have chosen a different layout.

Wabbit

Jul 29, 2019
Resizable launchers would indeed be nice, but I can think of about 50 other problems with the launcher they could fix first which are infinitely more pressing.

Reactions: Randomsteve

Randomsteve

Jul 29, 2019
Resizable launchers would indeed be nice, but I can think of about 50 other problems with the launcher they could fix first which are infinitely more pressing.
That is very true.

Also as a side note, I like your avatar its nice.

jjw123

Jul 29, 2019
I was assuming that whenever it was time to make the launcher resizable those interface elements would be tweaked to suit the new feature. Though I'm sure that tweaking would be more work than the basic task of making the window resizable. I'm not a programmer myself, but I've read and tinkered enough to know that seemingly simple changes often come with complications a regular user probably wouldn't anticipate. For example in this situation it's easy to expect the elements of the window to self adjust the same way a website does.

I think from the user side of things resizing the window would be very intuitive. Like I already said, I don't really know what it would take to make resizing work, so It'd be up to the programmer(s) to decide whether adding the feature is worth the effort.

And I just realized everything else I was gonna say is kinda beside the point so I'll stop here before I write a wall of text.

indeed a resizable launcher is a lot more work then just changing resizable from false to true, 99% of the GUI code would have to be redone

galeas90

Jul 29, 2019
Well, if it is that much work than don't do a resizable launcher (even if it would be cool). The real problem is, that currently there is a BIG logo and like 5 lines of text (for mod list), which is really impractical. The change suggested by Mystara and demonstarted by Wabbit is really small, but makes the launcher more user friendly. Btw. ever heard of alphabetical order?

DaemosDaen

Jul 29, 2019
The mods in the list are in load order (the order in which the mods are loaded) if I'm not mistaken, which is fine wiht me, I like the idea of a smaller logo for the modpacks as I would like to know what mods are in the packs I play.

Status
Not open for further replies.