Slight lag when joining worlds

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
I was wondering if this is normal. I know that lag is expected when joining a world, but it's around 30 seconds. I'm just wondering if that is supposed to happen. I did take into account that the area I spawn into is a different dimension (extra utilities last millennium) and I have a large inscribed setup+a big reactor, but I've seen other people with wayy more things not lagging nearly as much (upon joining/changing dimensions). I have an appropriate amount of ram allocated, 4 gigs out of 8, and I would think my gpu would be able to render it fast enough (it's an nvidia gt 720).

It's not a HUGE issue, but if there is any way to lessen it without removing quality, please let me know :)

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I was wondering if this is normal. I know that lag is expected when joining a world, but it's around 30 seconds. I'm just wondering if that is supposed to happen. I did take into account that the area I spawn into is a different dimension (extra utilities last millennium) and I have a large inscribed setup+a big reactor, but I've seen other people with wayy more things not lagging nearly as much (upon joining/changing dimensions). I have an appropriate amount of ram allocated, 4 gigs out of 8, and I would think my gpu would be able to render it fast enough (it's an nvidia gt 720).

It's not a HUGE issue, but if there is any way to lessen it without removing quality, please let me know :)
I would not have 4GB allocated if I only had 8GB total. I would suggest lowering it to 3GB'ish as everything uses more RAM behind the scenes than it says on the "box".

As for "rendering" everything once you log in and jump dimensions it is maybe 1% a GPU matter and 99% CPU, HD and RAM load. What happens in those 30 seconds is that all the blocks in the 441 chunks around you needs to be processed and loaded into the RAM(and old chunks needs to be unloaded). Visually representing them is not a problem, it is processing all the information behind them.

Reactions: mattp_12

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for clearly a things up for me.
Fyi, I've already tried different amounts of ran allocation, spanning from 2 gigs to 5. Obviously 5 is worse, but it's a test ;) when I was on 3 it was about the same.
I know when you switch dimensions it has to render every block in that dimension as soon as you get there, straining the gpu, cpu, etc, I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to get rid of some lag.

I use mystcraft portals. I have a chunkloader on both sides. I ran a test where I threw an item into the portal and I then went through. The loading was much faster with less lag... Any ideas why?

Sent from my Thingy using a Thingy.

LukeWUK

Jul 29, 2019
I have a very expensive computer and still get the same. It's normal for me to sometimes get that for 2 or 3 seconds even with this machine! (£3000+)

Other links in the chain are the cpu doing it's bit.

And also loading the chunks from disk (if you host) or from the hosts disk and sent across the Web!

Theres not much you can do beyond get the best pc going which will still have it to an extent.

LukeWUK

Jul 29, 2019
It's most likely your internet as you mention others joining.

I used to host for friends and had really bad upload speed...they had the problem you get sometimes for 60 seconds or more. Especially the ones with worst internet.

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
It's most likely your internet as you mention others joining.

I used to host for friends and had really bad upload speed...they had the problem you get sometimes for 60 seconds or more. Especially the ones with worst internet.
When I said that I've seen other people not having as many issues, I didn't mean on a server. I meant that I've watched people on YouTube etc. I don't play this world on a server.

mattp_12

Jul 29, 2019
I have a very expensive computer and still get the same. It's normal for me to sometimes get that for 2 or 3 seconds even with this machine! (£3000+)

Other links in the chain are the cpu doing it's bit.

And also loading the chunks from disk (if you host) or from the hosts disk and sent across the Web!

Theres not much you can do beyond get the best pc going which will still have it to an extent.
The computer I use does support adding more ram, (up to 32gb) but the only constraint is my dad not wanting to buy/install it :3

LukeWUK

Jul 29, 2019
Well RAM is just stuff that your computer can remember reallllly really fast.

When you load the world it loads from the sloooow hard drive the data...into the ram so it can run fast in game.

So if your slowdown is at start mainly it likely to be hard drive or cpu and a ssd would be better.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
When I said that I've seen other people not having as many issues, I didn't mean on a server. I meant that I've watched people on YouTube etc. I don't play this world on a server.

As with all things Minecraft, YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary). There are a lot of things involved in "loading" as stated here in this thread.

Most of the Youtube folks, run their server through a 3rd party, and have the cash to pay for dedicated IP and SSD load times. They also make sure they select a host with a really low ping time.
If you are using a 3rd party host, check their server location, and make sure you are on the closest node you can have access to. For example, I live in the lower mainland of BC, and my server host has a node in Seattle WA. Good and close, with great ping times.

If you are not using a 3rd party host, please remember, to play FTB, you are basically creating and hosting a server on your own machine to access. This means your CPU could be struggling with keeping up. Allocating the "right" amount of ram (again YMMV) helps, and so did using java parameters before java8.

Sadly, your GPU doesn't really help much when it comes to loading in the world. Yes it helps with rendering, but the loading of the items/entities/machines/etc are all done CPU side.

I know I didn't help much, but at least you now have options to trouble shoot your personal lag issues. Good luck!