Solved [Sky Factory 3] Sudden lag spikes (hiccups) on SF3 server after days of it running fine

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

Nuddel69

Feb 6, 2022
Launcher: Curseforge
Modpack: Skyfactory 3
Modpack version: 1.10.2-3.0.22
Have you modified the pack? No

We have a SF3 server hosted through shockbyte. It's been running great for a couple days, but now I'm suddenly experiencing massive lag spikes (movement is fine, but can't open GUIs, see other players etc. sometimes even kicking us). Every 1-2 minutes I get a ~30 second hiccup where I can walk/fly about just fine but with no entities moving and no access to inventories until I'm teleported back to where I was before the hiccup. This happens simultaneously to everyone logged onto the server. I've enabled auto-restart, but it's had little effect on this. The only difference I can imagine is having travelled to the beneath some time before the problems started, but I've tried both restarting the server and deleting the "The beneath" subfolder in the World directory. I know limited RAM is a problem, but it's been running great (flawlessly, no lag or hickups at all) until just now, so I figured it's fine. We've not updated recently, and we made no big changes on the server. Usually I'd consider it most likely a clientside issue, but as the problems appear simultaneously for all players the possibility of it being serverside seems more plausible. Just for the sake of troubleshooting I've tried increasing my client RAM to 4.5gb, but to no avail.

Nuddel69

Feb 6, 2022
I seem to have isolated the problem to most likely originate from my refined storage system. We have a disk drive with 7 64k disks (none full), a reborn storage crafter and some quantum storage units with external storage attached. There's a mob farm connected and it's pretty messy. Could this be a possible cause, and if so, does anyone have any suggestions for fixing it?

A video of what's in the system and some pics of the setup itself

Nuddel69

Feb 6, 2022
In the end the perpetrator was a Refined Storage system filled with too many item types. The mob-farm had our system filled with bows and swords, and so removing these and disconnecting the farm did the trick.